IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

I've not read a crime book for years, maybe Gun Machine by Warren Ellis was the last one which started well but had an awful ending, is The Hunter the best place to start with him? 

Been (very) slowly working my way through the Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy whenever I'm not too burned out on textbooks and assignments, really enjoying it, it's hilarious. Kinda glad I waited so long to read it as I'm now about Arthur Dent's age so it makes it a little more relatable.

Recently finished - The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin; The Vorrh by Brian Catling; Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

Reading - The Vegetarian by Han Kang

I heard decent but mixed reviews of Three Body and The Vorrh...how would you rate them?

Recently finished - The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin; The Vorrh by Brian Catling; Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

I heard decent but mixed reviews of Three Body and The Vorrh...how would you rate them?

I thought Three-Body Problem was kind of a mess. It depends on how high your tolerance for massive info dumps is. It's not a bad book, but paced weirdly and it isn't really a satisfying read on its own. The sequel is supposed to great though.

The Vorrh was fantastic, loads of surreal imagery on every page. I'd definitely recommend it.

I thought Three-Body Problem was kind of a mess. It depends on how high your tolerance for massive info dumps is. It's not a bad book, but paced weirdly and it isn't really a satisfying read on its own. The sequel is supposed to great though.

The Vorrh was fantastic, loads of surreal imagery on every page. I'd definitely recommend it.

Yeah, that falls in line with what I heard about Cixin's book. I'm not the type of reader that'll trudge through one novel in the hopes that the sequel makes up for it, though.

Will definitely have to grab The Vorrh at some point. Most who like it loved it like you, but it seems that maybe that style wasn't for some, I saw a chunk of reviews that couldn't get into the style or something. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

i would just skip both and read idoru

essential gibson

from burning chrome:

the winter market

burning chrome

idoru

all tomorrow's parties

pattern recognition

count zero is fun, especially the opening bit. mona lisa didn't really stick with me. neither did virtual light. everything after pattern recognition has been diminishing returns.

Edited by keanu reeves

^^^ awesome cover art.

edit: fuckin page break

i finished What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, which was pretty interesting though nothing stellar. it actually got me back into running which i wasn't expecting, so thanks for that, Murakami!

i've started The Informers by Bret Easton Ellis. really enjoyed Less Than Zero and this seems more of the same in a lot of ways so should be good.

Edited by QQQ

one of you sci fi geeks please advise: having read Neuromancer, would I be foolish to skip the middle one before reading Mona Lisa Overdrive?

coincidentally I just started reading Count Zero last week, seems ok so far.

I alway seem to be disagreeing with Keanu

but I loved the Pattern Recognition trilogy

So much so that I bought a signed copy of PR

WG's newest book is about a post-apocalyptic performance artist

Which sounds awesome imo

Wanted to read something horror-related for Halloween and since I only tend to read the classics from the genre I went for something new, Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill, and really enjoyed it. Anything else post-2000 worth a try? I've checked out a few lists online and Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay pops up a lot. 

Weird i just read the ritual by adam Nevill.

Really great atmosphere and actually kind of scary and then completely fell apart about two thirds of the way in. You'll know the exact point if you read it. Dude definitely needs an editor.

Laird barron is decent for lovecraft/ligotti style. Jeff vandermeer has some short stories that mix surrealism and horror expertly.

Thanks for the recommendations. Ritual was definitely being added to my reading pile, Apartment 16 has a disappointing ending too but thinking about it most horror does. Probably the longer the author can keep things interesting without showing their hand the better. 

I'm reading The Dispossessed and uh... can't wait for it to be over. It makes a bit sad that I apparently will never like an Ursula K Le Guin novel.

Also reading I Have the Right to Destroy Myself, and enjoying that quite a bit.

Edited by doublename

I haven't read any of the Earthsea books, and still plan to give them a go. For all their merits, The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed just never 'clicked' with me.

Edited by doublename