IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Just finished the first Hitchhiker's Guide book in the series, hilarious read. Took me a while to get through because I've been too busy with schoolwork to bother reading most nights.  Now on to The Restaurant at the end of the Universe...

• 2 weeks later...

Re-reading Crime & Punishment, cuz this Oliver Ready translation is new to me.

Ghettoside by Levoy - The end gets bogged down in the specifics of a few murder cases, which is a lot less interesting than the broader study of unsolved/ignored urban crime.

Poor People by William T. Vollmann - In which the author travels the globe asking poor people why they're poor. I think he smokes crack with a Filipino prostitute in this one.

Edited by doublename

love your taste man....

I need to read that book on Ernst...

Yeah absolutely

cwmbrancity man, you might consider making a blog post or something about what you've been reading/learning;

I know there's at least a handful of us that would drool over every bit of it

Or maybe a thread for stuff like this

I'd be hella down for that

love your taste man....

I need to read that book on Ernst...

Yeah absolutely

cwmbrancity man, you might consider making a blog post or something about what you've been reading/learning;

I know there's at least a handful of us that would drool over every bit of it

Or maybe a thread for stuff like this

I'd be hella down for that

Hell yes, +1. Always glad to see new cwmbran posts, I've got into a lot of cool stuff off the back of them. I live pretty much right beside my uni library as well, so I can get a lot of stuff from there, for free; that Idea Of Order book springs to mind

Finished Jerusalem, all 1174 pages of it (and the four page acknowledgements). Review: quite good. Fairly long, but worth it, sort of like Pynchon but instead Moore happily explains to you his references rather than expecting you to go down to the library yourself. Offers a nice alternative idea of the afterlife, which I've found I now consider to be my preferred form of it.

Also continuing to read Ted Chiang, and he is pretty good too. Story of your Life deserves its praise.

Reading Laird Barron's The Croning after keanu reeves recommended him as a deece new author of horror. Quarter of the way in and definitely liking the vibe, you can feel a noose going around the main character's neck that is only going to tighten. I'll get this done then move onto an M.R James re-read for the festive season. 

Let The Right One In, already know the plot from seeing the film in '08 but this is still a very pleasant read.

Very much indebted to King and he acknowledges it (Oskar starts reading Firestarter at one point). Also being set in the 80's I couldn't help but think of Stranger Things, though this was originally published in '04. I like that the paedophilia thing is a lot more overt in this, I can see why they kinda glossed over it in the film.

Will keep an eye out for LTROI Spi, see what it's like.

Reading Brief Interviews with Hideous Men on my kindle and I already like it much more than I did anything in Oblivion. The stories felt like they were trying too hard to be difficult in Oblivion but BIWHM seems totally natural, wonderful prose and funny, despite the often morbid / heinous topics.

In real world books: after the hugeness of Jerusalem, I am reading Oranges are not the only fruit by Jeanette Winterson, which is very small (the size of a pocket bible!).

Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets by Svetlana Alexievich

- a lush series of series of interviews w/ men & women who lived through the Soviet Union's collapse + their reflections on what's been lost/gained in the transition to, like, gangster capitalism.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the 6th in the James Patterson Women's Murder Club series at the moment. I've enjoyed them all and will probably continue with the whole ongoing series, but there's just one think that irks me. There's quite a few instances where everything just gets too cheesy for a few minutes. Just the things colleagues or friends say to each other; people don't talk like that. A guy just ran around shooting people including a kid in the face, then some cheesy conversation happens. Ergh.

Just finished John King's White Trash. Really really terrible, but amusingly so I guess.

Spoonfed, simplistic, agenda grinding stuff.

Working class Nurse in her mid-twenties = SALT OF THE EARTH, ALWAYS SEES THE GOOD IN PEOPLE, JUST SO LOVELY

Born Wealthy, middle-aged, NHS Budget Assessor = ENGLISH PATRICK BATEMAN/LITERALLY A SERIAL KILLER

Halfway through Matheson's The Shrinking Man now. Even better than I expected it to be.

Had a busy semester with little time to read but managed to get through a couple books that were suggested in this thread. First was In the Approaches by Nicola Barker, which to start with i wasn't too sure about, but ended up enjoying it. There's something about the writing style that kind of annoyed me for some reason, reckon it's just probably not my cup of tea, but the plot had me intrigued and very british humor was fun.

Then read Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies by Nick Bostrom, which was fascinating and terrifying at the same time. So many factors to ai that i'd never even begun to consider. Great book, would recommend to anyone who wants to be left deeply paranoid about the future.

Now the holiday's started i've finally got around to Mason & Dixon by Pynchon. Loving it so far and seems like the perfect time of year to be reading it. Plus, the first song of the book is sung by a talking dog, what more could you want.