IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Surrealism & the Occult by Nadia Choucha, a balanced blend of academic rigor & a myriad of threads all succinctly unpicked & inter-woven. Its accompanied a hot summer & nails allusion, networks & interpreting how particular figures evolved their approaches, rather than the typical the long leather coat chaos wrapped in veiled bs line of inquiry. Only quibble is it helps to reference google images to let your eyes breathe & rummage fully @ the intensity of wonder.

Tasty brain food & hits this sweet spot/10

edit for possible double post review last page div move

Edited by cwmbrancity

António Lobo Antunes - Knowledge of Hell (1980)

"Like his creator, the narrator of this novel is a psychiatrist who loathes psychiatry, a veteran of the despised 1970s colonial war waged by Portugal against Angola, a survivor of a failed marriage, and a man seeking meaning in an uncaring and venal society. The reader joins Antunes on a journey both real and phantasmagorical as he travels by car from a vacation in the Algarve back to his hated work as a psychiatrist at a Lisbon mental institution. In the course of one long day and evening, he carries on an imaginary conversation with his daughter Joanna, observes with surreal vision the bleak countryside of his nation, recalls the horrors of his involuntary role in the suppression of Angolan independence, and curses the charlatanism of contemporary psychiatric "advances" that destroy rather than heal."

It's good

finished book three of knausgaard's struggle. might stop there. i've got to live my own life. 

also finished this:

12BOOKLISPECTOR-master180.jpg

stories here get weirder as you move through the collection, which is 600 pages long. goes from literary fiction to metaphysical surrealism. maybe not quite at the level of borges as some people have suggested, but lispector was a major writer.

finished book three of knausgaard's struggle. might stop there. i've got to live my own life.

also finished this:

12BOOKLISPECTOR-master180.jpg

stories here get weirder as you move through the collection, which is 600 pages long. goes from literary fiction to metaphysical surrealism. maybe not quite at the level of borges as some people have suggested, but lispector was a major writer.

lol book 3 was a bit of a slouch in the series but I think it's worth it to keep going. Book 5 is especially good. although you might have just been aiming for a lol there

nice to see some lispector love. Edit: if you're not familiar with her novel The Passion According to G.H., I highly recommend it.

Edited by Alcofribas

i finished The Naked and the Dead which was brilliant, particularly the final quarter or so. now i'm going to read a few smaller novels; i started reading What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami. i don't have a massive interest in running but it sounded interesting and reading some non-fiction is nice for a change.

IJ is so fucking long

yea I get it Foster alcoholix anonymous is giving up your will too. can we move on

ij.jpg

I finally read the thing (7 months :facepalm: ) and ended up with a thousand questions. Read the first chapter again and ended up with two thousand questions. Guess I'm gonna have to read the whole thing again (or at least the actual-plot relevant parts, which is about 30% of the book) sometime, in about 10 years.

24563961._UY200_.jpg

Only a few chapters in and the author has spent a lot of time fawning over Lorna Byrne, who I had always assumed was talking bollocks, but we shall see.

The Vorrh by Brian Caitling.

It's a bit like 100 Years of Solitude crossed with The Crystal World by JG Ballard. Right up my alley tbqh.

Edited by doublename

IJ is so fucking long

yea I get it Foster alcoholix anonymous is giving up your will too. can we move on

ij.jpg

I finally read the thing (7 months :facepalm: ) and ended up with a thousand questions. Read the first chapter again and ended up with two thousand questions. Guess I'm gonna have to read the whole thing again (or at least the actual-plot relevant parts, which is about 30% of the book) sometime, in about 10 years.

:mu-ziq: < David Fucking Wallace

Also congrats on finishing it! I should reread it eventually, sure there's a few things I missed.

Started to read Infinite Jest 1 or 2 years ago but never finished. Should try to read it one more time because it's so unique and weird. Tried in English first but had to use the dictionary 5 times per sentence, so I switched to German - very impressive translation work I think

Started to read Infinite Jest 1 or 2 years ago but never finished. Should try to read it one more time because it's so unique and weird. Tried in English first but had to use the dictionary 5 times per sentence, so I switched to German - very impressive translation work I think

at one point I just started guessing word's meanings when they were non-essential, i.e. describing wallpaper