IGNORED

The Swifty

Guest AOOproductions

Guest AOOproductions

So this is a classic SP song, everyone knows it... but I think it needs to be mentioned every day of the fucken year. His Bass breakdown in the middle, is not only his best bass playing he's ever done, but maybe the most emotionally resonating I've EVER heard. It's simply fucken amazing. When SP is on his game like this, he really doesn't sound like anyone b4 or after him, it's just square-fucken-pusher. And this is one of the first songs I point to people when they say "ALL APHEX TWIN UZIQ AE BOC SQUAREPUSHER SOUNDS THE SAME"!!!

The saddest part about this song to, is that he'll probably never make anything like this again. O well, hurray for more SP post-modern jizzing.

Guest butane bob
So this is a classic SP song, everyone knows it... but I think it needs to be mentioned every day of the fucken year. His Bass breakdown in the middle, is not only his best bass playing he's ever done, but maybe the most emotionally resonating I've EVER heard. It's simply fucken amazing. When SP is on his game like this, he really doesn't sound like anyone b4 or after him, it's just square-fucken-pusher. And this is one of the first songs I point to people when they say "ALL APHEX TWIN UZIQ AE BOC SQUAREPUSHER SOUNDS THE SAME"!!!

Yeah I love the way he maps one tempo and time signature onto another.

The saddest part about this song to, is that he'll probably never make anything like this again. O well, hurray for more SP post-modern jizzing.

Yeah I used to be the same way about ROYGBIV I used to bawl my eyes out that they didn't make it any longer, but then I realised it just is what it is.

Guest welcome to the machine

Yeah, incredible, I played that solo for my final year pre-prepared performance exam when I was at college. I think I have the TAB and notation for it somewhere if anyone wants it.

oh, also - check out Weather Report's "Havona", from 2:35 on. it's on Heavy Weather album.

i've been looking for it on youtube, but i only found home-made bass videos such as this (it's really good&accurate though):

well, tom was never trying to hide his musical influence :)

Guest Scrambled Ears
Yeah, incredible, I played that solo for my final year pre-prepared performance exam when I was at college. I think I have the TAB and notation for it somewhere if anyone wants it.

ya that'd be cool

ya that'd be cool

Yeah Havonas a great solo, but more of a solo in band context. I like the way with the swifty the solo is the 'drop' and its so perfectly compiled. I think that TJ has more than just been influenced by JP, I think he has really built on what he did and moved it to different territory, I think jaco would be a fan if he was still here. I prefered his bass playing of this (the swifty) era myself though I still enjoy the current stuff.

heres the chart's for the solo, I wouldn't bother with the notation unless you are a strong reader because I wrote it age ago and its a bit of a mess, its correct though, so if you can read well it should be useable. If not your best bet is to use the tab and the track.

have fun!

The_swifty.zip

live bedroom recording pls?

who, me? I can if you want but it will be a couple of days, Ive got busy week and all my recording gear is at a temporary studio thing... that and its been a while since I played it through! :)

• 11 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=832521:date=Sep 23 2008, 03:32 AM:name=Pete is your friend)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pete is your friend @ Sep 23 2008, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=832521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->live bedroom recording pls?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

who, me? I can if you want but it will be a couple of days, Ive got busy week and all my recording gear is at a temporary studio thing... that and its been a while since I played it through! :)

I might try and do this this weekend, its about time I gave myself a bass challenge!

• 5 years later...

WR's Havona came up, thought heeey waitaminute, isn't that a Squarepusher solo? Should be around FMWT era... Let's google this, BOOM!

oh, also - check out Weather Report's "Havona", from 2:35 on. it's on Heavy Weather album.i've been looking for it on youtube, but i only found home-made bass videos such as this (it's really good&accurate though):well, tom was never trying to hide his musical influence :)

Anyway, 8 years, sounds like a long time.

feed me weird things changed my life honestly. got me into drum programmin'

when i found drukqs i remember thinking to myself, these fucking drums man, this guy (aphex) is the only person on the planet who programs this fast and tasteful! no one could possibly be on par

boy was i wrong ha

then i found go plastic and i was like oh ok here we go

• 1 month later...

Wanted to bump this again because I just got this on vinyl today (Been wanting it for so long), and I have to say this track has never sounded so good! I miss his old Jaco-style jazz soloing - just sounds so warm and rich. Like melted chocolate in music form.

And also - where is Solo Electric Bass 2???

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived