IGNORED

Slowdive

Guest beatfanatic

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest igloos unlmtd
I've just picked up their 3 albums (7digital are doing a deal where you can buy all of them for £10.99, bargain!) and I've truly fallen in love, this group are nothing short of amazing.

Any recommendations for anyone that sounds similar? Bearing in mind my only knowledge of anything that sounds near to this is Loveless and I'm really far behind when it comes to knowing about shoegaze...

That's really exciting man. I grew up when this stuff was in its heyday. It was a fun time.

You should check out Chapterhouse especially their 1st album, singles & EP's. Blood Music isn't that hot but Global Communications did an amazingly famous ambient reworking that is a million times better. Check it out.

Also I usually recommend some of the early Telescopes singles as they too were very close to this sound & were also put out on Creation.

All of the stuff on Dedicated was awesome. Hopefully you know the early Spiritualized albums. Early Spectrum too. Storm in Heaven by The Verve was the quintessential make-out album back then along with Loveless & Souvlaki. Ride have some good albums but my favorite by them was an EP called Today Forever - there are videos for all four tracks that you can check-out on youtube.

There is literally endless amounts of stuff from the 90's. Especially after Flying Saucer Attack kicked it back into gear in the mid 90's & everyone started making shoegaze at home.

Have fun - I'm jealous that you get to experience this stuff for the first time.

Guest Aserinsky
I've just picked up their 3 albums (7digital are doing a deal where you can buy all of them for £10.99, bargain!) and I've truly fallen in love, this group are nothing short of amazing.

Any recommendations for anyone that sounds similar? Bearing in mind my only knowledge of anything that sounds near to this is Loveless and I'm really far behind when it comes to knowing about shoegaze...

That's really exciting man. I grew up when this stuff was in its heyday. It was a fun time.

You should check out Chapterhouse especially their 1st album, singles & EP's. Blood Music isn't that hot but Global Communications did an amazingly famous ambient reworking that is a million times better. Check it out.

Also I usually recommend some of the early Telescopes singles as they too were very close to this sound & were also put out on Creation.

All of the stuff on Dedicated was awesome. Hopefully you know the early Spiritualized albums. Early Spectrum too. Storm in Heaven by The Verve was the quintessential make-out album back then along with Loveless & Souvlaki. Ride have some good albums but my favorite by them was an EP called Today Forever - there are videos for all four tracks that you can check-out on youtube.

There is literally endless amounts of stuff from the 90's. Especially after Flying Saucer Attack kicked it back into gear in the mid 90's & everyone started making shoegaze at home.

Have fun - I'm jealous that you get to experience this stuff for the first time.

This post is perfect, thank you so much! I'll be checking all this stuff out as soon as I get some cash in!

I quite like MBV and Slowdive. As far as Slowdive goes, the closest I've come across anything recapturing the mood it evokes for me is maybe the first album from Auburn Lull (alone I admire) and the compilation (Regions less parallel)

Guest igloos unlmtd

Auburn Lull are cool were/are part of the Michigan scene. Those were cool days - a lot of good bands from that era Burnt Hair records & all of that.

Auburn Lull did a great little split album with Mahogany. Its really hard to get a hold of these days but I really liked the Mahogany tracks on that one.

Majesty Crush were the biggest band from the area and had a sound similar to The Verve. They seemed like they were going to be huge...

I also remember a lot of those old Windy & Carl records with hand painted covers - you could always count on those to have some very good songs.

Windy & Carl have a cool record shop now up in Dearborn but the one I really miss from back then was Neptune in Royal Oak. Those guys knew their stuff & always had the goods. I remember the owner talked me into buying Pale Saints In Ribbons vinyl that's another one to check out although more on the pop / indy side.

His Name Is Alive from Livonia... Very experimental studio stuff - 4AD is something to be familiar with, not too far from shoegaze. & obviously 4AD did some Halstead & Mojave 3 albums.

Something I didn't mention at first though was Cocteau Twins & Lush... Probably the best shoegaze on 4AD & some of the best period. These two bands should definitely be towards the top of the list.

Have fun!

• 1 year later...

Wow, festival date, interview soon, possible new album...all the speculation actually is coming true.

i just covered my apartment in ejaculate.

nice

what's with all the nostalgia in this decade though? I'm all for it, I guess. the music seems to be wanting to go back to the time where there weren't any smartphones. as long as it sounds authentic and nice it's fine by me.

this better be good, i adore almost all of this band's work.

Guest igloos unlmtd

Here's the official tally

Reunited

---

Slowdive

MBV

Chapterhouse

Seefeel

JAMC

Telescopes

Unreunited

-----

Cocteau Twins

Lush

Ride

Spacemen 3

AR Kane

Swallow (but Louise is back as Strata Florida & sounds promising)

Unlikely for Cocteau Twins or Spacemen - just too much emotional trauma / drugs.

But maybe we will get lucky & Global Communications will make a b.a. ambient remix of the entire new Slowdive album.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty excited. I also hope this reunion brings some more attention to Simon Scott. His work is criminally overlooked.

I see, sir.

https://soundcloud.com/simon-scott/fur-betty

Also:

https://soundcloud.com/miasmah/sets/simon-scott-bunny

https://soundcloud.com/miasmah/sets/simon-scott-navigare

http://www.12k.com/index.php/site/releases/below_sea_level/

For those interested, Rafael Irisarri/The Sight Below created a 2.5+ hour Slowdive mix:

• 3 months later...
Guest Papillon

Here's the entire set from London on May 18th. Wonderfully intimate setting and a great performance:

Thanks for that. I love this band. I didn't think they get together after all this time apart.

Archived