IGNORED

Black Mirror

YO303

http://en.wikipedia....%28TV_series%29

The first programme is a political thriller in which fictional Prime Minister Michael Callow faces a huge and shocking dilemma when Princess Susannah, a much-loved member of the Royal Family, is kidnapped. For her safe return, the Prime Minister must have sexual intercourse with a pig on national television.

I've just watched this .. it was the best television program i have ever seen in my life.

Your emotions will be blown.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RadarJammer

http://en.wikipedia....%28TV_series%29

The first programme is a political thriller in which fictional Prime Minister Michael Callow faces a huge and shocking dilemma when Princess Susannah, a much-loved member of the Royal Family, is kidnapped. For her safe return, the Prime Minister must have sexual intercourse with a pig on national television.

I've just watched this .. it was the best television program i have ever seen in my life.

Your emotions will be blown.

This show really goes for the nut shot. Brilliant shit.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i liked it alot. i expected to like it too based on charlie brookers other shit.

i think the idea is realistic too

Episode 2 "15 Million Merits" just aired on Channel 4.

Thoughts? Personally I thought I had a different feel to it, the whole episode was a lot less plot-driven and more based upon its atmosphere and themes. It was very successful at what it set out to do, but overall not as striking as The National Anthem.

Guest disparaissant

just watched it because a.) this thread and b.) charlie brooker

first episode was the most surreal and perfect mix of utterly absurd and totally plausible that i have ever seen, i think.

second episode is great so far im about halfway through. agreed about it being less striking though. its kind of a bummer, too.

The latest episode left me feeling a bit bored at points, certainly a peculiar tale but nowhere near as tight as the first one..... (different I guess but still so far the 1st one > the 2nd one)

OK so the 2nd ep i got, even though 30 mins could have been trimmed from it. But the ending has me confused. Are we meant to be looking at an over grown earth of some sort, because I think I can make out a few buildings in the trees?

I love the show and the second ep was what I was hoping for from reading wikipedia on the synopsis. I'm dying to see the last episode. I think there were several subtle philosophical issues it brought up, which was great. Some of it felt a bit obvious, but maybe some day we can end up there. Personally it feels like the best critique and introspection of current affairs I have seen.

I hope people can relate the second episode to how our current economic system functions today... isn't it obvious?

- The larger people in yellow are the people on state benefits

- The work on the exercise bikes represents the boring, waste of life we spend in our mundane occupations when our complex, intricate brains are capable of so much more

- Various references to consumerism through compulsory advertising

The list goes on... Brooker has done an excellent job. I hope it alerts people to the way we're heading.

Subtle as a punch in the face, but yeah... decent. Would of been a lot better if it hadn't of tried too hard - and been a bit more sinister and a bit less silly

Haha yeah they weren't that subtle. I was thinking about the smaller details like how in the second ep he was watching the program with him riding a bike, because in it he was traveling somewhere and it was in nature. Also at the end he was looking out a realistic landscape that I think was also just a screen, which could signify how the less money / success you have the less quality of products and luxury you have (Since the people below him only had very poor graphics and realism). I don't remember them all off hand but when I saw them they seemed to be quite packed with small 'mini points' in this regard with what people did and situations that had nothing to do with the major plot. That's why I called them subtle to begin with but I guess they aren't that.

Guest disparaissant

OK so the 2nd ep i got, even though 30 mins could have been trimmed from it. But the ending has me confused. Are we meant to be looking at an over grown earth of some sort, because I think I can make out a few buildings in the trees?

i thought the implication was that he was just looking at another screen, like he's no freer than he was, and at least his life when he was riding the bikes was honest on some level.

Archived