IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

Guest WNS000

Were you actually able to sit and listen properly to the album (without drugs etc) or did you have it as a background music? (serious question, no trolling) This seems mostly like a lyrics-based music (dunno if you know the language) or music for dancing rather than listening (despite the obvious mastery of the instrumentalists involved).

I always wondered about these "southern" types of music because from all that I have heard (not much admittedly) I have never found them to be compositionally interesting enough to keep my interest. And the mood always seemed quite samey to me. I have similar feelings about reggae but I would like to explore more and find something refreshing.

And to add to this thread:

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a2593402493_16.jpg

https://knut.bandcamp.com/album/challenger

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a3012797142_10.jpg

https://knut.bandcamp.com/album/terraformer

Both albums are great. Loving the raw energy.

Edited by WNS000

Were you actually able to sit and listen properly to the album (without drugs etc) or did you have it as a background music? (serious question, no trolling) This seems mostly like a lyrics-based music (dunno if you know the language) or music for dancing rather than listening (despite the obvious mastery of the instrumentalists involved).

I always wondered about these "southern" types of music because from all that I have heard (not much admittedly) I have never found them to be compositionally interesting enough to keep my interest. And the mood always seemed quite samey to me. I have similar feelings about reggae but I would like to explore more and find something refreshing.

i got this record last week thursday and i have been able to sit down with it about 4 times (playing it beginning to end twice on two separate occasions) then playing it a few times in the car with my girlfriend.

i personally prefer listening to people singing in a foreign language rather than in english so i tend to have more foreign music with lyrics than local (english sung) music. as to this being "music for dancing" you're right, a lot of it is danse muzik but i don't see it as strictly a danse record or like i have to danse just because it has music for dansing. some of the music has a more introspective angle eg. coupe cloue et trio select's 'la vie vieux negre' or the psychedelic 'baba showman' by les loupes noir while others are more jazz heavily like super jazz des jeunes' 'erzulie oh' (erzulie is the loi of dancing, beauty, luxury, flowers and love in vodou

Guest WNS000

i got this record last week thursday and i have been able to sit down with it about 4 times (playing it beginning to end twice on two separate occasions) then playing it a few times in the car with my girlfriend.

i personally prefer listening to people singing in a foreign language rather than in english so i tend to have more foreign music with lyrics than local (english sung) music. as to this being "music for dancing" you're right, a lot of it is danse muzik but i don't see it as strictly a danse record or like i have to danse just because it has music for dansing. some of the music has a more introspective angle eg. coupe cloue et trio select's 'la vie vieux negre' or the psychedelic 'baba showman' by les loupes noir while others are more jazz heavily like super jazz des jeunes' 'erzulie oh' (erzulie is the loi of dancing, beauty, luxury, flowers and love in vodou

Thanks, will check the links.

QOe7YGt.png

tanbou toujou lou: meringue, kompa kreyol, vodou jazz & electric folklore from haiti 1960 - 1981: around 2008-2009, i was completely obsessed with haiti. i researched and read everything about the country, eventually making up my mind to travel there- the plan was to stay at the hotel oloffson before going to jacmel. before leaving i met with some security officials who were supposed to advise me about security precautions.

"you'd be much safer taking a gun, aiming it at your head, and pulling the trigger than traveling to haiti right now" one of them told me. a few months later, an earthquake hit the country.

the guy who put this record together travelled to haiti more recently and took a very similar route to the one i intended (though he never stayed at the oloffson and added gonaives and st.marc to the itinerary). he also had the added advantage of being haitian and thus, understand the local patua perfectly. despite this he actually was met with a lot of resistance trying to find plaques (vinyl records as they're called) as the locals viewed this as pillaging part of their culture- the 2010 earthquake destroyed a lot of people lives and homes- and with that, many also lots their records.

so it's quite amazing how vik sohonie managed to cull up this compilation as a lot of these songs represent the early beginnings of some of haiti's most revered groups (eg. tabou combo and les loupes noir) and stem from the papa doc regime.

https://soundcloud.com/ostinatorecords/tanbou-toujou-lou-meringue-kompa-kreyol-vodou-jazz-electric-folklore-from-haiti-1960-1981

Thank you for the bit of history, interesting.

I'm still on my Bowie binge and recently discovered Station to Station. Getting totally obsessed with the title track, an amazing masterpiece, its 10 minutes go on so fast...Each and every time I listen to a Bowie album it becomes a new favorite !

Also, the closing track "Wild Is The Wind" is one of the most haunting Bowie song !

hey you guys should check these things out

Valerio Tricoli - Clonic Earth, really wild compositions that take their time with things but have lots going on and keep things moving and staying compelling, on the same level as his other PAN records release a couple years ago except this one works with uglier digital timbres in a way that I find really interesting

https://valeriotricoli.bandcamp.com/album/clonic-earth

MJ Guider - Precious Systems, new on Kranky, it's sort of like a synthy, electronically committed version of Grouper, but she does have her own thing going on and is more direct melodically and ok with rhythm, but gets at a similar sort of tasteful dreaminess

https://kranky.bandcamp.com/album/precious-systems

Brett Naucke - Executable Dreamtime, some really interesting modular synth stuff that goes really hard on making things that are lovely, while still using the modular setup to get some kinda weird things going.

https://umorrex.bandcamp.com/album/executable-dreamtime

Matt Carlson - The View From Nowhere, on the other side of the modular sound possibilities, wild headfuck timbres and structures, with human voice stuff that ranges from relatively clean to slathered in weird processing, if you don't find it all annoying it can be a lot of fun

https://shelterpress.bandcamp.com/album/the-view-from-nowhere

• 5 weeks later...

These are the latest albums I've been spinning via my home disco soundsystem. In summer time I don't have the bright coloured flashing lights on as it's warm enough in my subterranean lair and I like to keep cool, though sometimes I treat myself to pushing the button on the dry ice machine! No more goofy-footing around lets ride the magic pipeline of albums I've been mind surfing too.

Beck Stereopathic Soulmanure 10/10

Celtic Frost Into the Pandemonium 10/10

Aphex Twin Cheetah 9.9/10

Diiv Is The Is Are 10/10

Diiv Oshin 10/10

Skanna Nightstalker EP 10/10

Iron Maiden Iron Maiden 10/10

Slayer South of Heaven 10/10

The Velvet Underground & Nico 10/10

Jedi Mind Tricks Violent By Design 10/10

Clodhoppin Claude and His Merry Band of Motherfucking Monks Tend The Beehive For God But Drink Ale For The Devil 10/10

MNLTH Volume 1 10/10

Death Grips Bottomless Pit 10/10

Squarepusher Feed Me Weird Things 10/10

Sugar Beaster 10/10

Suede Dog Man Star 10/10

Over and out.

Edited by beerwolf

Anyone else here know Zeal and Ardor? If not you totally should! Devil Is Fine is a pretty amazing EP

It's a one-man project that's a blend of mostly Southern Gospel, Blues, and Black Metal, and some other influences... It sounds like a weird blend, and like it shouldn't work but Manuel Gagneaux makes it work, and it works really well and it's pretty damn unique. I've been playing this shit a lot lately.

Here's a pretty good interview with the guy explaining how the project and album came about:
http://overblown.co.uk/zeal-ardor-interview-yell-satanic-stuff-gospel-voice/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQKoE3cfk2U

• 2 weeks later...

Tool - Lateralus 

I know this must have been discussed elsewhere many times but whatever. I just think this is INCREDIBLE. 

The guitar tone is exactly my taste and all the perc bits and weird drone like intros to some of the tracks are epic in mythic proportions.

I'd like to know more about the inspiration behind the album..I know it references Fibbonaci and obviously the artwork is quite indicative of something about human nature etc.

Just amazing stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew Liles - Trigger Happy........ the man can do no wrong musically, continues to stretch the strangeness, evocative enough to entice & enchant but disturbing enough to plunge you over-board, the intro section is like the sound of Broadmoor hospital residents hallucinating in space

Alice Coltrane - Journey into Satchidananda ... title track is a huge pers favourite & with any1 else the sitars would've been overdone, but as beguiling as it gets even after countless plays, busted out last night & time dissolved

Jonathon Coleclough - Period...theres a section in the title track thats distilled bliss, hence the purchase, have already looped it for the car just to soak in it during forthcoming road trips

David Toop - Entities Inertias/Faint Beings....not only can the bloke write insightful engaging explorations of field recording fusions of electro-acoustics, music concrete & experimental mod-synth nerd-frenzy, he can create the soundscapes that justify the shekels....Ancestral Beings is ear erection brain jizz 3rd eye mindfuck of the finest caliber

jazz club noice meets Fritzl basement horror/10's all round

clppng - spendor & misery: i gave up on hiphop long time ago but every so often something comes out of that genre that really blows my mind. this is one of them. give 'baby don't sleep' a go and tell me what you think 

https://clppng.bandcamp.com/releases

Edited by Nebraska

• 3 weeks later...

Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - EARS

Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Euclid

M. Geddes Gengras - Test Leads

Datach'i - System

Found Euclid and Test Leads while browsing my local RSD, very nice score. EARS is probably my favorite album of the year so far. And as for System, it's right up there too. I can't get the chord progression of "Omni 2" out my head.

Also: Hi. I didn't see an "introductions" thread anywhere, but I promise I read the rules.

I'm new to watmm so I hope it's OK to just jump straight in. Some albums recently listened:

Autechre - Confield 

Obviously something of a sacred cow. I've had it kicking around for years but never listened to it in its entirety. And I just can't get into it; I enjoy some of the tracks (Bine, Uvoil, Eidetic Casein) but at least half of it just leaves me cold. Seems silly to give it a rating as it is such a classic for some people, but mine would have to be 5/10

Cocteau Twins - Treasure

An oldie but a fairly recent addition to my collection. Ethereal, dreamy chamber pop. This is definitely a slow grower. Not sure if it'll ever attain classic status but I can see it really fitting certain contexts. I haven't really differentiated all the tracks but lots of them are worming their way into my mind which has to be a good sign. 6/10 for now

Lukid - Onandon

Pleasant but unremarkable, lolling breakbeaty/trip-hoppy/electronica. Still getting to know this one, 6/10 for now

Higher Intelligence Agency - Colourform

Classic early 90's electronica, bit of an acid/psychedelic tinge. This would be perfect soundtrack to some a post-clubbing session (and I'm sure has been many times). It's not quite up there with some of the other classics from time for me; it's just not quite as varied or idiosyncratic as FSOL/Aphex/Black Dog. Decent though. 6/10

Autechre - Confield 

Obviously something of a sacred cow. I've had it kicking around for years but never listened to it in its entirety. And I just can't get into it; I enjoy some of the tracks (Bine, Uvoil, Eidetic Casein) but at least half of it just leaves me cold. Seems silly to give it a rating as it is such a classic for some people, but mine would have to be 5/10

welcom aboard matey! watch yr steps though, this type of thingy could cause u a bit of trouble..   

Frank Ocean - Blond. Really, really fucking good, totally lived up to my expectations. There are so many moments of pure emotion on it.

Ween - 12 Golden Country Greats. Bit of a gimmick, and nowhere near as good as the Mollusk, but a good laugh nonetheless.

Autechre - Confield 

welcom aboard matey! watch yr steps though, this type of thingy could cause u a bit of trouble..   

ha yes I didn't think that would be a popular view. Just feel like I'm still waiting for that 'click' moment with some of their stuff.