IGNORED

A Minor Spiral

kichiguy

view%201-1.jpg

Tom Jenkison is contributing sound to an upcoming audio installation in Trafalgar Square. Other artists include CoH/Ivan Pavlov who will be giving away free copies of the new CoH - Soisong CDEP on the 19th :)

Details and information here --> http://soundandmusic...en-sound-portal

Will he be there playing or will it just feature his composition being played inside the structure, I wonder?

Will he be there playing or will it just feature his composition being played inside the structure, I wonder?

Each session goes on for 10+ hours so I'm thinking the latter !

Seems logical. Still, will try and make it there next Saturday.

Ah so you've got to sit inside to hear it rather than the sound projecting out ? Damn - I can imagine this'll be a bit of a nightmare to get a place inside given how busy that place gets during weekends with tourists (and getting a decent recording might be out of the question too)

I went to this thing this evening as I thought the queue would've died down considerably near closing time and luckily I only had to wait about 5 minutes before I was allowed in (the room had a capacity for about 20ish people and people were ushered in as others left). I snuck in my field recorder and stayed in for the entire duration of the loop (just under 15 minutes):

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/squarepusher_-_a_minor_spiral.mp3

Apologies for the clipping on a few of the notes, but unfortunately I had the recording sensitivity on the wrong level. But hell, you're getting it for free, shut-up, what do you want - my blood ................ :cry:

(fun fact, apparently Squarepusher is well known for using a 14-tone scale in his tracks - or so says the woman queuing up behind me talking to her quite frankly depressing-just-to-witness-his-lack-of-interest-even-at-made-up-information boyfriend. Erm, yeah :huh: )

Purely opinion..

Went to this today, was fortunate to be in London anyway, booked a later coach so I'd have time to get to trafalgar square.

what a massive crock of shit. Upon leaving the installation I was experiencing an unusual mixture of amusement at the chin strokers sprawled across the sofa in the middle, convinced they were "getting it", and anger at the completely half arsed, crappy noodling bullshit mr Jenkinson had supplied.

So many people would die to have such an opportunity to show their output in such an unusual format, and would no doubt make a considerable ammount more effort towards making something remarkable, and deserving of such an opportunity.

The whole thing reeked or arrogance and laziness. There was nothing to get, it was shit!

End of opinion..

Guest antimental

It's a lovely piece of music, and it sucks to be you because you can't appreciate it. And also, it would have been helpful for you to have read the interview with him posted above to understand WHY he wrote the piece of music that he did. It gets on my nerves that someone like myself who would have killed to have been there can't go, but someone whose apparent sole intent was to post on WATMM in order to slag it off can.

I really don't get why WATMM even still has a Squarepusher forum as a good bit of you hate every single thing he has done since Big Loada. Well, a few of you like Go Plastic or Ultravistor, but most posts contain nothing but derision at his other work. Such bitterness just because he doesn't bend to your tastes. It's really the reason that even though I have had an account here for a while, I have never bothered to post (and don't worry, I probably won't bother posting again after this post). And I don't get why people who continually slag him off continue to do so. It's like you're taking it personally that he's not writing music just for you.

I went as well. Enjoyed it, and I thought the atmosphere of the piece was quite fitting for the occasion. Lots of people chilled to his sound, every note seemed to come from a different direction. A welcome, calm island of sound in the centre of town. They should have soundcaves like that installed permanently for people to relax in.

Personally though, I thought the guitar should have sounded much more pristine and fuller on such a high-end system.

But, respect to those who chose him to be involved.

Anyone been in the box on any of the other days?

It's a lovely piece of music, and it sucks to be you because you can't appreciate it. And also, it would have been helpful for you to have read the interview with him posted above to understand WHY he wrote the piece of music that he did. It gets on my nerves that someone like myself who would have killed to have been there can't go, but someone whose apparent sole intent was to post on WATMM in order to slag it off can.

For what it's worth, I had read the interview with him before I went. In fact it was this thread that drew my attention to it in the first place. I read, it sounding intriguing, and I spent money I don't really have and went extremely out of my way in order to have time to go.

Also, I would have been just as vocal of my opinions had I thought it was the most incredible thing ever. I didn't come on here with the sole intent of slagging it off. Just giving my (ultimately completely inconsequential) opinion, just as I would have done if I had loved it.

I really don't get why WATMM even still has a Squarepusher forum as a good bit of you hate every single thing he has done since Big Loada. Well, a few of you like Go Plastic or Ultravistor, but most posts contain nothing but derision at his other work. Such bitterness just because he doesn't bend to your tastes. It's really the reason that even though I have had an account here for a while, I have never bothered to post (and don't worry, I probably won't bother posting again after this post). And I don't get why people who continually slag him off continue to do so. It's like you're taking it personally that he's not writing music just for you.

Honestly, I've bought and loved pretty much everything he's released. Yet to get a copy of Ufabulum, but I'm really looking forwards to hearing it properly. I'm also hoping to catch his show in Berlin next week, fingers crossed, and can't wait!

I would never expect an artist to 'bend to my taste" as you put it, quite the opposite. In fact, one of the main reasons I admire the guy so much is his apparent bravery in pursuing all the different avenues that he does. It's quite a rarity i think, one that has come from a very diverse, and often challenging output. I like the unpredictability, and I admire the constantly evolving definition.

However, on this occasion, I just didn't get a hint of that spark that has always excited me with his stuff. I didn't feel as though there was any effort to do something he hadn't done before, or even to improve upon previously visited ideas. In a sense it felt like he'd kinda knocked one out without nearly as much consideration as you can imagine with everything else he's done.. and THAT is what annoyed me so much.

Anyway, my opinion means shit, no doubt countless other people enjoyed it. Maybe I'm wrong and my opinion is way off the mark. If so I'll hold my hands up and say "yeah I'm a dick and didn't get it" But that doesn't mean I'm not entitled to have an opinion and share it.. besides, Mr Squarepusher wouldn't give 2 shits about my opinion, and ironically enough, that's why I admire him as much as I do.

But no, you're right.. heaven forbid a fan voicing a negative opinion about something.. Clearly the only 2 valid choices are A, it was amazing or B, I'm sure it was amazing, but I just didn't like it on a subjective level

Wow, well done for throwing all your toys out the pram. Lol.

Oh and I was in the box for the COH project. Heavily filtered, monastic chanting - at once very alien, but also really intimate. Perfect really. The sponsors are Russians and they asked that their nation be represented.

Archived