IGNORED

Fallout 4 is here...

Muflontillah

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

il give it a try, hopefully it will get it sorted, because im having a wail of a time with it until i get to the bottom of a dungeon to find an advanced looking locked box thats probably brimming with cool shit that i have no way of getting into. its killing my vibe.

i also cant wear armour for some reason. i get the stats bonus, but my character just wanders around the wasteland getting told off by his followers for being in his underpants.

You should get Cait as a companion in the meantime, so she can lockpick shit for you

this was a great suggestion, cheers. fixed the buggy wires thing with a google searched patch, and found out its only half the armour i cant wear, so im 80 percent of the way to being able to enjoy the game as its meant to be now ive got cait to pick locks, even if she does waste a titload of bobby pins

^ I fucking love it. even if it drops my fps hugely. weather effects are something I've always wanted in Fallout games.

There are even thunderstorms, with hazy green overcast and apparently radioactive. Sorta reminds me of the Emissions in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, but not nearly as deadly.

also cannot attach any wires to any of my structures stuff, no idea why. none of the fixes are working. hopefully bethesda sorts this shit out.

that sucks man, hope they fix it and you can have a clean start. have you tried reinstalling?

Seems hit-and-miss for me. For Laser Turrets and Recruitment Beacons it's no problem, but I can't wire up the generators to the TV sets in Sanctuary for some reason, even when there's nothing in the way.

il give it a try, hopefully it will get it sorted, because im having a wail of a time with it until i get to the bottom of a dungeon to find an advanced looking locked box thats probably brimming with cool shit that i have no way of getting into. its killing my vibe.

i also cant wear armour for some reason. i get the stats bonus, but my character just wanders around the wasteland getting told off by his followers for being in his underpants.

lol @ discrimination against the under-clothed. I've found armor pieces can be equipped if you wear the Vault 111 Jumpsuit, but doesn't seem to be compatible with any other outfits.

I don't think TVs are supposed to be connected directly with a wire. There are a few power-requiring objects like that. You have to use a Power Conduit which is found in Power>Connectors&Switches. You connect your generator to the Power Conduit and it sends power wirelessly to these objects within a certain range, which I think it's currently understood to be approximately 3.4 wall lengths. Another cool thing about power conduits is that you can create a string of them wirelessly sending power from one conduit to the next. So if you wanna power a whole house wirelessly just put a power conduit every 3.4 wall lengths along the house in the desired locations. That will save you a lot of copper. The quick way I can tell so far as to what needs a wire and what needs a power conduit, before actually building it, is if there is no visible connector for a wire anywhere on the object. Another, obviously better way to tell, if you don't mind building it first, is if you have no option to connect a wire after building it, lol.

However, this sounds like it's not the problem messiaen is having, because it seems like he can't wire anything at all. Also, his game install seems to be riddled with bugs and problems. But I think that this will solve your issue, ambermonk.

EDIT: looks like messiaen solved his wiring problem. Awesome.

I wish they gave an explanation of power conduits and things like that in the game itself. The only way I found out about this stuff is by watching a bunch of non-spoiler youtube videos on building an effective home base. In one of the videos the guy even mentioned something like: "Not all is currently understood about items like power conduits, but here is what players have figured out so far." Adding a short explanation of how these items work seems like an easy task. I don't know, maybe they wanted to encourage experimentation and community progression in developing and understanding stuff like this. If so, that's a pretty out of the box way to add progression to improving your fort. I mean, it is a pretty cool feeling to figure something new and helpful out which leads to "Holy crap I can't wait to boot up Fallout 4 with this new knowledge! My base is gonna kick ass now!" Especially when those things are non-essential to protecting your fort. If it was something that you needed to know in order to keep your fort and settlers from being wiped out, then ya, include an explanation. But for those things, they do. Either in the mission you get from the greaser guy (I forget his name) when you first arrive in Sanctuary or in a small window that appears when you have the item queued in the workshop menu. Who knows if that's what they were thinking?

Regardless, I love this game! And damnit!!! It's 2:30AM now!!!! This keeps happening!!! I haven't been addicted to a game like this in a long time now... and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Yeah the game is addictive as all hell. Now I have to discipline myself to going to bed at a reasonable hour on work nights.

I like what they did @ E3 with the settlement building demo, especially when they flipped on the lights for that Megaman rendition of Vault Boy. I kinda wanna do shit like that once I've beefed up and fortified the settlements enough in my Minutemen empire.

One annoying bug I've been having lately is this "static" flickering I've been getting all over my screen at times. It's usually green when I'm at settlements or near junk items of interest, or yellow when I'm using terminals or piloting Power Armor. Tried updating my Nvidia GeForce driver but then the game immediately crashed when I tried to launch it, so I had to roll it back to the previous version. Hope either Bethesda or Nvidia can fix this bug soon.

Guest bitroast

^ I fucking love it. even if it drops my fps hugely. weather effects are something I've always wanted in Fallout games.

There are even thunderstorms, with hazy green overcast and apparently radioactive. Sorta reminds me of the Emissions in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, but not nearly as deadly.

the radioactive thunderstorms are SO EERIE.

I got so pissed at myself the other day. I thought I encountered a bug, but it was probably just, you know, an important part of what's going on. Just in case you're not far at all in the game, I'll put this under spoiler.

I had a strange bug where I could walk through a wall. But after I did, the walls were solid again. I thought that was strange, but just a plain old bug. Then I walked further into the city I was exploring. Lexington I believe. And all of a sudden I saw a familiar face. It was Preston Garvey. I thought what the hell is he doing this far out of Sanctuary. I don't remember him saying he would leave. So I talked to him and he introduced himself in what I thought was the same way he introduced himself when you first meet him near the museum. I thought: "Great, that wall bug probably lead to this, another bug. And this is a pretty big bug. If I talk to him more, will he ever return to Sactuary so he can guard it with his fancy rifle?" So I immediately reloaded my last save from before the wall bug. I then returned to exploring the city where I saw him in the distance again. This time I figured I'd just avoid him like the plague and maybe it'll just fix itself.

A while later, I'm in a completely different part of the map doing a quest, when I suddenly remembered an earlier encounter I had in the game. It happened really early in my game, which is why I forgot about it. But I ran into an Institute synth being held up at gunpoint by two farmers. They were terrified of this synth. From this encounter I soon learned that the Institute will create customized synths to look and act exactly like an actual person in the Boston wasteland. As soon as I remembered that I thought: "Damnit! That Preston Garvey wasn't a bug! He was a synth that I just bloody avoided! Now there is a second, evil and dangerous Preston Garvey roaming the wasteland doing who knows what. And I let him go!?!? I probably won't have that advantage again."

I immediately went back to where I originally found him and he wasn't there anymore. I then searched the surrounding area for a good while, unsuccessfully. DAMNIT!!" I could've ended that problem at the time, but nooooooo.... stupid wall bug... Now, everywhere I go, I keep my eyes peeled for the bastard.

Yeah I've felt some Blade Runner vibes in this game as well..

Especially first entering Diamond City...that's the first thing that came to mind. It's almost like the Institute Synths are a parallel to the Tyrell Corporation's Replicants in Blade Runner...no way it's just coincidence

lol even the spelling's the same

(delayed editing so I don't annoy people w/ a bump)

Two weeks later, FO4 has still pretty much taken control of my leisure life. Still finding cool new stuff every day. And the majority of Metacritic users giving it poor reviews are still full of dog shit.

Just finished it. I'll do another playthrough when big mods are up I think.

Good times were had, though I can't help but feel I can't wait for another West coast based game by Obsidian now. Sorry Bethesda.

Sorry to bump this, but I just restarted a third playthrough without having actually completed any main quest line yet, because somehow I think I did something that rendered completion impossible. Ended up starting all over after lvl 51. A little frustrating, to be honest.

But I'm pretty much aware of all the major spoilers already. I just want to get the Minutemen ending, is what it all comes down to.

Sorry to bump this, but I just restarted a third playthrough without having actually completed any main quest line yet, because somehow I think I did something that rendered completion impossible. Ended up starting all over after lvl 51. A little frustrating, to be honest.

But I'm pretty much aware of all the major spoilers already. I just want to get the Minutemen ending, is what it all comes down to.

If you're playing on PC you can basically re-create your old character using console commands. Including level, perks, weapons, armor, you name it. And you can even import your old characters face to your new character with mods.

But it is fun starting from scratch again.

My laptop's already doing a fine job with overall FO4 performance, aside from that "screen static" you get when in crafting or VATS modes. It was even worse when tagging materials for search, so I stopped tagging them. Last time I updated my Nvidia driver the game crashed when you try to launch it, so I'm hoping they fixed that now.

As for gameplay, I don't mind getting a fresh new start that much, especially since I just recently figured out how to establish supply lines between settlements, making life a lot easier for keeping them up to speed. As for factions, I don't think I'll bother allying with the BoS this time. While they have some good intentions, they're too arrogant and overzealous for my liking, and may have the potential in going the same imperialist route the Enclave did in previous games.

Other than the wisdom of aiming for the minutemen, no idea how you guys start fresh. Feels like I've averaged an hour a day for a couple weeks, and not made it out of the commonwealth yet. 1 main story mission done. Life's so short. The idea of restarting now, on level 12, let alone 51, is utterly daunting. But by all means please keep the advice comin'.

Well, you never actually leave the Commonwealth (former Massachusetts), since it's the game world as a whole (until DLCs start rolling out, probably)

I'd say just keep exploring, killing hostiles, and scavenging for materials to upgrade weapons and armor, as well as build defenses to fortify your settlements. Adhesive might be the single most valuable material in the game, with Aluminum probably being second (especially at higher levels)

Also the area south of Boston is supposedly the most dangerous, so you might wanna don Power Armor in case of Deathclaw encounters, since without it they can grab and execute you, regardless how much health you have.

I'd say just keep exploring, killing hostiles, and scavenging for materials to upgrade weapons and armor, as well as build defenses to fortify your settlements. Adhesive might be the single most valuable material in the game, with Aluminum probably being second (especially at higher levels)

Also the area south of Boston is supposedly the most dangerous, so you might wanna don Power Armor in case of Deathclaw encounters, since without it they can grab and execute you, regardless how much health you have.

Definitely agree on Adhesive and Aluminum. Aluminum being harder to get due to making lots of adhesive easily from your settlements food crops.

I leveled up pretty fast hunting Deathclaws for a while in the glowing sea. I horded all of my mini-nukes for fighting deathclaws with my fatman, and the glowing sea was the best place to hunt them so far. Some of them give you 200+ experience! With high intelligence, that is.

I got further into the main story line and found a faction that I immediately joined and am sticking with, at least for this play-through.

Go ahead and click the spoiler if you don't care about what factions you can join. I don't reveal much in there other than the faction's name. So no worries to be had regarding characters or specific story info.

They're called:

The Institute! They have some pretty awesome missions so far. Very fun stuff.

I went a few days without playing recently. I wanted to convince myself that I'm not horribly addicted lol. It was screwing up my sleep cycle big time, as I kept mismanaging time spent playing. Since returning to the game, I seem to somehow have a better handle on actually closing the game and going to bed. Maybe this is a post for the Stupid First World Successes thread. Meh, it fits here too.

Definitely agree on Adhesive and Aluminum. Aluminum being harder to get due to making lots of adhesive easily from your settlements food crops.

I leveled up pretty fast hunting Deathclaws for a while in the glowing sea. I horded all of my mini-nukes for fighting deathclaws with my fatman, and the glowing sea was the best place to hunt them so far. Some of them give you 200+ experience! With high intelligence, that is.

I got further into the main story line and found a faction that I immediately joined and am sticking with, at least for this play-through.

Go ahead and click the spoiler if you don't care about what factions you can join. I don't reveal much in there other than the faction's name. So no worries to be had regarding characters or specific story info.

They're called:

The Institute! They have some pretty awesome missions so far. Very fun stuff.

I went a few days without playing recently. I wanted to convince myself that I'm not horribly addicted lol. It was screwing up my sleep cycle big time, as I kept mismanaging time spent playing. Since returning to the game, I seem to somehow have a better handle on actually closing the game and going to bed. Maybe this is a post for the Stupid First World Successes thread. Meh, it fits here too.

I've been tied up with tthe Railroad at first because of a specific line that said "Would you give your life to save synths ?", which is pretty idm. I also got the Institute ending since it's so close to the Railroad one ("keep working with Father your son..." mine is pretty scary btw he looked like a true daderly scientist with questionable yet honorable values)

I'd like to reroll with a fully mean character with maxed out strength and endurance for a BoS playthrough, but I think I'm gonna wait for creation kit mods to do that

Lately I've also completed Fallout 2 thanks to Steam sales and I have to say I completely disagree with the common saying it being stratospherically superior to Bethesda's. It's not. At all. Yep okay, FO1 and 2 might be slightly more trash and humourous than Bethesda"s, but not that much. I'm not even talking about the gameplay, because I do love turn-based combat. Content-wise, they're pretty far behind actually. I only miss quests needing real investigation instead of following a marker on the map in Bethesda's new games (Morrowing requiring investigation too).

To me the main problem with Fallout 4 has to do with your character. Voice acting ? Yeah okay why not but at least propose more than one voice. How can you even consider playing a badass asshole with a voice like this ? Or a fearful nerd, etc ? That voice we get only suitably works with a dudey married normal guy who sometimes goes for a "SARCASTIC" answer when asked something. Which is the character everybody apparently went for according to a lot of videos on Youtube.

We should have gotten multiple voices possible. Even shitty Dragon Age Inquisition had that, and in Saints Row you could even get Robin fucking Atkin Downes's voice. It's not like Bethesda didn't have this kind of money to handle this. espcially since Downes has been voicing various characters in Bethesda's games for a while now.

Yeah I'm just pretty disappointed at the poor quality of roleplaying in this episode of Fallout really. Which makes me wish with all my heart for a "New Vegas sequel" by Obsidian. Please please please let this happen. Soon.

Yeah the voice acting was hit-and-miss I thought. I'm guessing the lack of RPG elements might be attributed to Bethesda's focus on making gunplay feel more realistic, which it does. Player movement in FO3 felt a bit clunky, so they did improve that.

I played only the beginning of the original Fallout and then got bored for some reason. Fallout 2 I haven't tried, but I understand New Vegas drew a lot of elements from it.

And yes, I would very much like to see another Fallout game by Obsidian. Being the nerdy fanboy I am, I already jotted down a page full of ideas about what their next FO game should be about - specifically to be set in the Pacific Northwest region in the year 2291, which would overlap between Canada and the US. Won't guarantee this will ever see fruition, but one can dream, right

Archived