IGNORED

sound design?

volterock

Guest Chesney

Mess with a crazy synth/sampler/effects/field recordings etc and see what comes out ;)

It's all experimentation, It's not your design if you are told how to do it.

Watch films with your ears.

Pretty much.

If people upload videos on YouTube or Vimeo saying: "This is how you make a great sound design", then they're liars. People who say that have the answer to something like that are liars.

Download some awesome graphical shit from Vimeo and make your own sound design.

Pretty much.

If people upload videos on YouTube or Vimeo saying: "This is how you make a great sound design", then they're liars. People who say that have the answer to something like that are liars.

Download some awesome graphical shit from Vimeo and make your own sound design.

This! And buy a fieldrecorder to record your own stuff everywhere. Practice to find the music in these recordings, after a while you will hear them tunes everywhere.

everybody's answering like you know what the op meant by 'sound design'

Who/What are some quality places to learn sound design from?

Do you have any video tutorial recommendations?

yes

Sound design is a pretty wide category. It also applies to live theatre which has nothing to do with the layering of different audio files. This topic could take a long time to fully explain.

The supplementary video for Wall-E was a great video to see the confluence of traditional sound design and synthesis for film. I used to show it to my students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSf8Er2gV_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eySh8FOUphM

sorry for the confusion, I meant sound design as it pertains to synthesizer patches and field recording mostly for music making purposes.

Mess with a crazy synth/sampler/effects/field recordings etc and see what comes out ;)

Eric Persing said he learned this way & just going through the manuals but there must be some fundamental guidelines that have been discovered... sort of like music theory, and then you forget all the rules later but use them when you want as a guide?

thanks for the links o00o and PhylumZunami

For instance, eekkoo said this once which seems like a great starting point to consider:

There's 3 main things to ask yourself when designing your own sound.

1. Is this sound rich or poor? Regarding the harmonic content. The richest waveform is the sawtooth, the poorest is the sine wave.

2. Is this sound percussive or not? Percussive? Get rid of the sustain and adjust the decay of your amplitude envelope.

3. Does this sound changes (evolves) over time? Yes? So you need extra modulation devices like an LFO or a filter envelope.

You'll probably want to read all of Gordon Reid's excellent Synth Secrets series if you haven't already. I got the Sound On Sound CD-ROMs and DVD-ROM a while back, mostly for these. Great stuff!

Roland's series of books simply called The Synthesizer are neat too.

BTW (which stands for "bong typewriter wank", BTW), I meant this for sound design for music purposes, as well. Because films are genius when it comes to ambience and foley, especially Axel Foley. Point being that the art of film sound is highly creative, and when it gets to the nitty gritty, relates to the perception of implied sound within a context. And I believe this type of imaginative MacGyver process is required for the best sound design.

I think fundamentally, one cannot "learn" sound design; just as much as one can't really learn "blues" or "funk"-- you gotta BE that shit. Sound design with an intent requires one to at least be able to mouth-sound beatbox the sonics, then the next step is to learn ze synth(s)/tools inside and out to be able to recreate your expression. Experimental sound design is totally just exploring possibilities of tools, but without MacGyver creativity, the results are prolly boring.

So my point with suggesting learning from films, is that the most important aspect of sound design is connecting emotion with abstract sound-- and films do this well. It's like how we know of so many sounds associated with the fantasy or sci-fi genre of film, and the things represented by those sounds generally don't even fucking exist. That's how good their sound work is-- masters created vibez from scratch by using their imagination.

And field recording needs no tutorials, unless it's technical (like wind shields, binaural recording, types of mics, etc.). Because recording shit is fun as hell. If you love sound, it's easier than getting high on weed to just explore an area and record by: moving stuff around, running objects across other objects, bending and breaking things, just standing and soaking-in ambience, record moving machines, distress tons of tiny things like marbles or rice and let them bounce or fall and let gravity create your symphony, combine different elements like rocks into water or wood into fire or metal onto rubber or solid onto hollow, do things like sports or kung fu and record the moves, talk or beatbox and move the mic around your body to experience resonant qualities of different body parts (contact mics are nutz), record conversations, make random and unplanned strings of noises with your mouth, etc.

Field recording and synths are both deeep worlds, but I honestly believe that if you watch too many tutorials, you'll only learn how to emulate tutorials and not how to experiment-- and experimentation is the only place where you can blow your own mind by producing sonics that you've yet to imagine; assisted by free-flow mind and heart, ears of gold (at least silver), and if the wind blows just right, you'll get a little hand from Destiny.

You'll probably want to read all of Gordon Reid's excellent Synth Secrets series if you haven't already. I got the Sound On Sound CD-ROMs and DVD-ROM a while back, mostly for these. Great stuff!

Roland's series of books simply called The Synthesizer are neat too.

I'm scared of those articles. They are immense and really technical! Tho I'll try once again to read them.

I have a copy of the Great Courses lecture series on Architecture, and it has a lot of info on how to design sound structures. It won't get you a degree, but it's a good overview and still goes relatively in-depth.

Archived