IGNORED

The Making of: FLeure

drillkicker

I don't know whether this should go in here or in the EKT forum, so (if you're a mod) please move it if it's in the wrong spot.

Pretty much every track that Autechre has released makes me wonder how the hell they got the sounds that they got, but FLeure is one that's really bugging me at the moment. I really don't know how they got all those metallic sounds that are bouncing around and squeaking about, and I also don't know how they modulated the bass at the end like that. It seems to phase in and out of certain settings and skip around in both the first and second part of the track. I think it's doing some odd stuff in the former section, but it's so overshadowed by the other sounds that it goes unnoticed.

Those sounds are what really bother me, though. I decided to slow it down by an octave earlier to hear it in more detail and it seemed like there's much more going on than just basic sequencing. I'm guessing it's some sort of modular synth mischief that I'm not aware of, but I don't know much about those things, and I certainly don't know the half of what those two like to do to them.

Do any of you experienced WATMM-folk know what might be going on?

I don't think I've ever read of them using modular stuff; correct me if I'm wrong, someone...

The end of FLeure reminds me a lot of the end of Vose In. I remember them saying in an interview that the stutters and cuts in Vose In were sort of a digital replication of patching (cassette?) tapes together, sort of a tribute to the way they used to do that sort of thing back in the day. I think they said it was a bit tedious getting the end of that how they liked, having to 'manually' slice and reposition the audio. My mind may be filling in some blanks here though, so if anyone knows the interview I'm speaking of, bring it forth...

I mention all that because the end of FLeure seems very similar in that it sounds highly edited; similar in a sense to Vose In, or perhaps to the style of editing they took up for Quaristice. As in, they recorded a track via hardware/whatever, then added in or restructured the ending to be so wonky.

If they didn't do that, I'd guess that the bass (or some other part) of the track is causing both the ending weirdness AND the bouncing metallic shit you mention. If I were to recreate that sound, I'd set up that bass line to be modified heavily by a couple LFOs, and set those LFOs to also trigger some melody patterns via MIDI arpeggiation/randomisation/whatever, and simply heavily tweak the melody thus created to come off tinny and bouncy; FM synthesis would probably be the first thing I'd try (but there's people here far better than me at figuring out the 'source' of a sound, hopefully they chime in with their ideas...).

I'm not sure what you mean by LFOs triggering melodies, but I think whatever they did with the other sounds in this track sounds a lot like the same type of stuff that was done in VI Scose Poise, but obviously far more complex.

I thought that the bass modulations might be caused by the preset tool in Max, knowing that ae are very fond of both Max (especially in this album, considering the title of "bladelores") and also manipulating that specific tool in certain ways. It would need to be sequenced very, very intricately to get that ending bit, though, and even Sean and Rob probably wouldn't spend that obscene amount of time and effort on it.

I don't think I've ever read of them using modular stuff; correct me if I'm wrong, someone...

well they've def been using the nord modular for ages now. and i recall a modular system in that gear list they released in future music around the Draft era i think.

wasn't there some mention of modular stuff in the aaa? maybe not...

well they've def been using the nord modular for ages now. and i recall a modular system in that gear list they released in future music around the Draft era i think.

wasn't there some mention of modular stuff in the aaa? maybe not...

Yeah they used the Nord Modular for quite a while, but I was thinking 'modular' in the sense of shit the past 5ish years that's gotten so popular, lots of separate modules connected with wires and shit.

Sent using magic space waves

the title is obviously hinting at FruityLoops

Wow, I never even noticed that. I wonder how they could have done this with FL.

in terms of fleure, i'll take a stab but obviously it is just speculation. the metallic sounds are almost as if two identical percussion samples (maybe field recordings or synth hits) are being played within milliseconds of each other creating a static flange sort of effect, without the feedback that makes it like a comb filter.

Maybe, but there's definitely more going on than just that.

instead of flicking with the preset tool, they could be skipping to different points in a wave file that feature different synth+fx settings? it's a fun thing to try - create a wave file that is like the audio equivalent of a sprite sheet - render in a waveform with different settings / notes / whatever every x amount of bars (evenly spaced apart so you always know the exact point of each sound). then experiment with the way you replay each cue point, the processing is next to none compared to synthesising everything on the spot, plus you can use whatever sound you want.

in terms of fleure, i'll take a stab but obviously it is just speculation. the metallic sounds are almost as if two identical percussion samples (maybe field recordings or synth hits) are being played within milliseconds of each other creating a static flange sort of effect, without the feedback that makes it like a comb filter. the bass stuff sounds like FM to me, slow attack envelope on one or more modulators with feedback, try ratio of 1:1 or 0.5:1 with the tuning (mod:carrier). in general, relatively slow modulations and automation of operator levels, you might find some similar sounds if you fiddle around with it this way.

Pro

ableton corpus anyone ?

I never bothered to check that tool out much, but now I definitely see that it can create some similar sorts of sounds. You'd need a lot of different effects added to it to make something like FLeure, but it sounds like the corpus could very well be in there.

I still don't really like the track much because it reminds me of the kind of spectral blurring stuff I really into in my own music around 13 years ago

"We even have a few Doepfer modules, the German stuff."

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/autechre.htm

OP when you say "metallic sounds bouncing around", you're not talking about the main percussive sound that acts a bit like a snare drum, right?

Fleure may be a reference to Ferrule

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrule

ableton corpus anyone ?

I never bothered to check that tool out much, but now I definitely see that it can create some similar sorts of sounds. You'd need a lot of different effects added to it to make something like FLeure, but it sounds like the corpus could very well be in there.

corpus is great, especialy with the lfo+rate buttons you can make some funny crazy also metalic sounding stuff

OP when you say "metallic sounds bouncing around", you're not talking about the main percussive sound that acts a bit like a snare drum, right?

Yes, that is the sound I am referring to.

find something that you click with. max/msp nord whatevs, and have fun. you might make sounds autechre will ask about.

I already do use Max/MSP (and don't have nearly enough money for Nord gear), but I like to guess about a lot of Autechre sounds and methods out of curiosity.

Most of my music making has been based on using only a few different effects and getting the widest possible range of sounds that they can produce, but now that I'm on Max, it's kind of overwhelming. It's sort of like what Aphex described where I have so many potential ideas that I can't think of a single one specifically.

Well, that sounds like some snare drum sample (or maybe the product of physical modelling) that's got more of a 'rim shot' type of quality (like an acoustic snare drum played off centre). It's also heavily pitched up/down.

Well, that sounds like some snare drum sample (or maybe the product of physical modelling) that's got more of a 'rim shot' type of quality (like an acoustic snare drum played off centre). It's also heavily pitched up/down.

Rhythmically, it doesn't sound like something that would have been sequenced as an independent sound, though. It sounds as if it's being controlled by some signal that's running through the track.

there is also a fair amount of FM synth trickery happening in the song, a lot of those high pitched almost cymbally sounds sound like very high pitched FM synth notes with a high feedback setting

ableton corpus anyone ?

corpus is great, especialy with the lfo+rate buttons you can make some funny crazy also metalic sounding stuff

i don't hear any physical modeling/resonate body effects on Fleure and I use corpus pretty regularly. If its on there its not contributing to the main sound bed of the track. The part at the very end with the ripping/squelching synth noises sounds a lot like an Analog 4 to me, but they said they didn't have one when they made the album. It could be some kind of digital or analog modular synth doing filter modulation, but it also sounds reminiscent of the MPC synth sounds they did on tracks like 90101-51-1 (the acid line on that track specifically). They're also doing a lot of heavy env follower filter work on the drums in 90101-51-1(thats what it sounds like tome)

Rhythmically, it doesn't sound like something that would have been sequenced as an independent sound, though. It sounds as if it's being controlled by some signal that's running through the track.

i think Autechre have been using ENV follower controlled effects pretty regularly since Quaristice, except on quaristice most of the time it would be some element of the track being turned into an ENV control to effect an LPF filter on stuff like drums. Now i feel like they use this same technique on many different effects, even flangers like on Cloudline (those dubby effects changes sound directly controlled by the rythm in the track)

Archived