Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After messing around with VCV Rack for a couple years, I'm planning my first eurorack system.

Surprised to not find a eurorack thread so figured this would be a good place to discuss. 

Here's a sampling system I am planning:

modulargrid_1544646.thumb.jpg.24fd4ec8d73a533ae239eb620748cacb.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you planning on using the disting for sample playback?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the maths, disting mk4, kinks, and uzeus x2 (as far as what you have listed) and I can tell you they are all awesome. I’d recommend getting another quantizer and a buffered mult (forget if the 2hp you have there is buffered). The disting is awesome, but I used it as a quantizer so much, I didn’t get the chance to use the other features that much (really like the delay and the delayed lfo). Now that I got another quantizer I’m really happy.

I really want one of those strymons, they make awesome shit (have the big sky and love it).

I would also recommend a mixer of some type.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid setup!   Plenty of VCAs, and it's hard to go wrong with Maths.  You may end up needing more buffered mults in the future(or at least I did).   Definitely look into getting an Ornament and Crime, as well.  I just picked up my 2nd(to install Hemispheres), and it is incredible, imo.  Maths is super versatile, but o_c is the Shang Tsung of Eurorack modules.   One other relatively cheap thing I can recommend is the Behringer Neutron.   It's super dense with functionality, and actually sounds really good with a modular system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, user said:

Are you planning on using the disting for sample playback?

Possibly, I got it knowing it can do a bunch of different things without taking up too much space. Interested in mainly using its audio effects. 

Speaking of audio effects, any recommendations for a good delay and/or reverb? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

clouds is a verb a delay and a whole bunch more....i like the BBD from doepfer - im using softube though so no idea about hardware

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Danny O Flannagin said:

Possibly, I got it knowing it can do a bunch of different things without taking up too much space. Interested in mainly using its audio effects. 

Speaking of audio effects, any recommendations for a good delay and/or reverb? 

I have a xaoc sarajewo, which is arguably best delay in eurorack, but expensive and not stereo (mono in and multi tap outs), so less useful with the morphagene.  I'm not sure there is a 'good' reverb in eurorack, the ones I have (fxaid and Zdsp) are both spin based and I tend to use them more for an effect with some cv control, rather than as an ambience or mixing verb.  I'm more inclined to use racks (dp2 and midiverb 2) and pedals (mercury7) for that.  Having said all that, you should get an fxaid or fxaid XL, it's stereo and takes up minimal space, the delays and reverbs are usable.  There are some delay into reverb algos also, but if I recall correctly they're mono in stereo out.  There's also a pretty extensive list of alt. fx as well.  I do really like my zdsp, but mainly for some of it's weirder algos, for it's size you could have 6 fxaids and it's the same chip, so not recommended for a compact system.    

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Danny O Flannagin said:

Possibly, I got it knowing it can do a bunch of different things without taking up too much space. Interested in mainly using its audio effects. 

Speaking of audio effects, any recommendations for a good delay and/or reverb? 

I mostly use dedicated non-euro stuff for reverb and effects, but one thing I really love is the a199 spring reverb.  I do also have a Pico DSP, which is fine, but not amazing.  There's lots of Clouds(and Clouds clones) all over the place with the arrival of Beads, and that has a pretty great reverb/delay sound too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Danny O Flannagin said:

Possibly, I got it knowing it can do a bunch of different things without taking up too much space. Interested in mainly using its audio effects. 

Speaking of audio effects, any recommendations for a good delay and/or reverb? 

The disting does some awesome delay. Also look into some of the spring reverb things like what pulp logic makes. Personally, reverb is one area I don’t incorporate into my eurorack, but the spring ones are tempting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

makenoise Mimeophon is so far my fav delay and often gets used as a weird reverb too. it's imo one of the best modules i've ever used. very musical and creative. if you have room for it  it's a no brainer. just so good. 

i use the tiptop Zdsp for reverb a lot too and other weird stuff. 

disting does good delays too though if you're short on space. the effects in general are all very thoughtfully designed with good range of parameters. he does good DSP algorithms and i wish he'd make a dedicated FX module w/more knobs and jacks and fewer menus. i think his FX are good enough to be in a dedicated module. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We should all post pics of our eurorack rig here too! Unless you guys don’t want to, I personally love that thread on muffwiggler.

Here’s my current eurorack system. Didn’t include the semi stuff, or pedals I use with the patchulator.

I only have room for a few pulp logic format tiles (or one big one). Then I’ll have to start building a new rack and destroying my studio to make room......again.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:56 AM, ignatius said:

makenoise Mimeophon is so far my fav delay and often gets used as a weird reverb too. it's imo one of the best modules i've ever used. very musical and creative. if you have room for it  it's a no brainer. just so good. 

i use the tiptop Zdsp for reverb a lot too and other weird stuff. 

disting does good delays too though if you're short on space. the effects in general are all very thoughtfully designed with good range of parameters. he does good DSP algorithms and i wish he'd make a dedicated FX module w/more knobs and jacks and fewer menus. i think his FX are good enough to be in a dedicated module. 

Yeah, the disting would be so awesome if there was an “encore knobby” type of thing for it. He seems to make stuff like that for his other things. 

1DCD55B7-E9F0-4388-BA12-67C50B9CD0BE.jpeg

EB023D6E-EFDA-45ED-BB14-73FE46A0E14B.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i posted an older pic in the studio thread.. have since shrunk my system A LOT.. though it's still biggish. used to be 7 rows of 168hp.. such were the benefits of working in synth shops for 6 years. 

tjTgUgL.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I know, I just thought “eurorack exclusive”. I was overwhelmed by my studio pics in that thread because so much of my house is dedicated to art, I’d need to basically show you what a real estate listing would look like for my house, haha. Plus, in my studio pics the eurorack was overshadowed by transformers and keyboards, I think!

Also we could use this space to discuss anything exclusively eurorack, rather than having to put it into the GAS thread or DIY. Idk, it could be fun, and I felt like @Danny O Flannagin maybe was going for this?

Muffwiggler (or mod now I guess) is cool, for sure, but forums like that are strictly informative for me. It’s like going into a synth shop vs a bar/hangout spot, if you know what I mean. 

Edited by Himelstein
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's mine:

IMG_5652.thumb.jpg.53d4080e117572b720b8c3234c4477b9.jpg

 

I also have the OSC303 and VCF303!  That being said, I never seem to be able to get a good sound out of the VCF303.  In fact, I have much more luck with the Doepfer a103.  I do love the sound of the OSC303, though.  Not just for acid.  If you feed it into a spring reverb at a really high register, you get this almost slide guitar sound.  It's pretty great, IMO.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Here's mine:

IMG_5652.thumb.jpg.53d4080e117572b720b8c3234c4477b9.jpg

 

I also have the OSC303 and VCF303!  That being said, I never seem to be able to get a good sound out of the VCF303.  In fact, I have much more luck with the Doepfer a103.  I do love the sound of the OSC303, though.  Not just for acid.  If you feed it into a spring reverb at a really high register, you get this almost slide guitar sound.  It's pretty great, IMO.

Yeah, it’s just an awesome oscillator in general. I’m surprised about your vcf303, I really like mine, but I don’t use it for anything other than the osc303. But the osc I use for all types of shit. Also got the pro1 and love it, it’s the best clone I’ve heard - as far as being identical to the original. (Sorry to break the eurorack purity topic for a sec).

You got the blue one too! The 303 clone stuff is so cool because it’s awesome exploiting that tone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Himelstein said:

The 303 clone stuff is so cool because it’s awesome exploiting that tone.

Yea absolutely.  It's great to do 'modular only' stuff like FM to the 303 filter.  As for the VCF303, do you typically utilize the envelopes and accents, or just use outside envelopes to the CV in?  I should give it another try, or maybe just sell it.  

Also very much agree on the pro-1(which you can mount in eurorack, so I'm counting it haha).  Fantastic for basslines, and the modulation possibilities are amazing, even without the additional CV stuff along the top.  I've never had an original, but I've always wanted one after hearing some samples on Ed DMX's studio page back in the day.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Yea absolutely.  It's great to do 'modular only' stuff like FM to the 303 filter.  As for the VCF303, do you typically utilize the envelopes and accents, or just use outside envelopes to the CV in?  I should give it another try, or maybe just sell it.  

Also very much agree on the pro-1(which you can mount in eurorack, so I'm counting it haha).  Fantastic for basslines, and the modulation possibilities are amazing, even without the additional CV stuff along the top.  I've never had an original, but I've always wanted one after hearing some samples on Ed DMX's studio page back in the day.  

I just trigger the envelope as it is, like for a mostly accurate cloning I’d do metropolis gate out to 303vcf env trigger in. It seems really accurate, compared to other clones. I had an analogue solutions tbx that sounded really similar filter wise. I haven’t messed with the accent yet on it tho

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2021 at 9:47 AM, kakapo said:

I'm not sure there is a 'good' reverb in eurorack

Spring is the best, as long as you get a big enough tank.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:
  On 5/10/2021 at 6:47 AM, kakapo said:

I'm not sure there is a 'good' reverb in eurorack

valhalla reverbs in the Zdsp are great but tend to be larger spaces.. though you can bring decay and size down to really small sizes.. they're best at big lush things. 

most eurorack verbs tend to be towards the larger sizes really;. though the stuff in Disting is good and more utilitarian. ErbeVerb is quite good though.. can also do resonant spaces. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233983681308
 

I’m thinking of getting this. I’m just not sure if I’ll have enough space for a pulp logic spring reverb afterwards. I’ve always planned on doing it, but they seem to always either be out of the tanks with mounting (to the zissou case) or out of the “tiles”. This talk of eurorack reverb has definitely got me interested again. The peaks thing is basically just something that seems cool and will fit. My buddy uses the actual mutable one and said they were cool.

Do you guys know anything about the peaks with “dead man’s catch”?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Himelstein said:

 

Do you guys know anything about the peaks with “dead man’s catch”?

had one for a while. like all mutable modules i bought i sold after a while. the peaks w/the alt firmware is cool. if you are cool w/remembering all the button presses to get to different modes etc. the drum stuff in it sounds decent. boom bap and hiss. has a good sound to it. i didn't enjoy using it and sold it.

really it's about interface.. you love it or hate it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I just picked up an FX Aid XL from Happy Nerding.  I didn't have much interest in it until I saw some comparison videos with the Strymon Big Sky, which I was saving up for as a 'someday' reverb:

 

I'm still playing with this thing, but it sounds fantastic.  Highly recommended.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 11:30 AM, ignatius said:

i posted an older pic in the studio thread.. have since shrunk my system A LOT.. though it's still biggish. used to be 7 rows of 168hp.. such were the benefits of working in synth shops for 6 years. 

tjTgUgL.jpg

Interesting that you have 3 Functions - do you just like having EOC/EOR and don't really use Maths mixer/logic?

Also that Brain Seed was really intriguing to me before I bought anything. I think if I wanted that facility now I'd just code it up in Crow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...