IGNORED

Black Dog Productions "Otaku"

Alcofribas

It's an amazing EP, and it's a shame that it - and Balil's Parasight - were cut from Trainer, they were to be on the fourth vinyl and third CD, but only test pressings of them exist. As far as I know Rising High keeps a very, VERY tight leash on their IP, so abandon all hope ye who wish for an official digital release. Balil's Parasight is available on CD, but this EP's digital version is practically nonexistant - yet: Otaku and Flux (Balil & Arno) can be found here, Pillars & Mirrors here, Flux here - so you can compile your own.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Extralife said:

I’d say Parasight ep was the high water mark of that era. I proudly own a cd ?

I would add Cost II (as a track) to that apogee.

Edit:  actually listening to this, it's rubbish, some kind of mastering mistake?  just repeats the last half twice with a silent gap in between ?

Here's the 12 min 39 version, from Further Self Evident Truths 1

Mislabelled on the video (and the CD!) as Pillars and Mirrors..

Edited by xy_politics

one of my favourite tracks from any genre or era. basically a perfect experienc, even moreso for how simple it all is. it's like being on acid for the very first time, staring at some grass or a concrete sidewalk or a patch of old fence. kinda track that you listen to it & after you feel like you can appreciate the hidden symmetry in everything

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chronical said:

I never really got into Black Dog, where do I start?

Either Bytes or Spanners, that's how you get a feel for their weirder, more experimental ventures. They also happen to be my personal favorite BD albums, they just stand out so much. Just go in chornological order from there, you can hear their progression into more minimal techno that way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2021 at 12:31 AM, chronical said:

I never really got into Black Dog, where do I start?

I'd recommend the albums Bytes and Spanners like @thumbass has said.  Two of the best albums of all time.  Anything they did after the Plaid split just isn't the same, although I really like Silenced (the tone reminds me of Spanners).

Oh ... and can we get some big love for 3/4 Heart pls -- the very best they've done I think (except for Psycosyin).

Edited by NewSchoolScience
Pyscosyin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The predecessor album to Bytes and Spanners, Temple Of Transparent Balls, (GPR, remastered and re-released on Soma) is essential listening; The Book of Dogma (Soma) is a great compilation of their early 12" tracks on GPR, giving a completist view to most of their pre-Plaid split material.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NewSchoolScience said:

BTW, how bad is the mastering on Bytes?  I'd really love to see Warp release a remastered version of this.

Not sure if I want a remastered version, but I'll gladly take it if it comes with the never released Balil album. Or, should I say the supposedly Balil album that never saw light of day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Or, should I say the supposedly Balil album that never saw light of day.

Never heard of a Balil album before, supposed or otherwise - please elaborate.

Edited by dcom

37 minutes ago, dcom said:

Never heard of a Balil album before, supposed or otherwise - please elaborate.

some talk about it here ^^^ (possibly a balil LP should have been released on rising high)

and below a thread about an upload with unreleased stuff. roughly 10 years ago.

in short: as far as i can tell only rumours and some unreleased stuff suggesting there might be more

• Thanks 1

I've definitely heard of this fabled Balil album.  IIRC it was something to do with Rising High Records dropping the ball and getting into licencing issues with Warp?

I have the tBd live jam sessions volume 1.  Ken wasn't happy about that making it into the public domain.  Volume 2 never seemed to see the light of day ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...