IGNORED

Microplastics

milkface

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

but it's been said many times, that making climate change the problem of the individual is the result of a media campaign by the people who have caused the problem.

Individualising the issue is a way of attacking activism but is also the source of the profits in the first place especially re transport. This is also why the focus on the industry side (if they're not outright funding climate denial) is to push for electric cars over electrified public transport, WFH for those who can, etc - it solves the fossil fuel problem but keeps the rest of the paradigm intact - the O&G guys lose out but the car lobby, the construction industries allied to car-centric infrastructure, the downstream raw material providers - they all still win

26 minutes ago, Walter Ostanek said:

Individualising the issue is a way of attacking activism but is also the source of the profits in the first place especially re transport. This is also why the focus on the industry side (if they're not outright funding climate denial) is to push for electric cars over electrified public transport, WFH for those who can, etc - it solves the fossil fuel problem but keeps the rest of the paradigm intact - the O&G guys lose out but the car lobby, the construction industries allied to car-centric infrastructure, the downstream raw material providers - they all still win

it doesn't solve the fossil fuel problems. and we're nowhere near going all electric for cars.. big trucks for moving goods will be around for a long time. there's no electric vehicle that can solve that problem currently. the tesla rig can barely move itself around let alone a trailer full of goods. and you're absolutely right about car centric infrastructure and raw materials, concrete, public transportation etc.. the only point i was trying to make is sure our choices matter but until there's like a general strike across all industries and people in the streets etc our individual choices do little other than make us feel a little better or show a good example to someone else.. which is all worth it i guess. i mean. it's pretty easy to go down the doomer pipeline.  

icd5u7dvi2gb1.png?width=828&auto=webp&s=

but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ignatius said:

if you reduce the destruction of the world to just her story then sure..

That's not my point, my point is that whether or not the world ends, moral high-horsing and wallowing will not create the kind of world we would want, regardless of the time limit

43 minutes ago, ignatius said:

about we can only control our little small part of things so do what we can. seems naive to me

First of all, I'm in favour of naivety in so far as it means keeping a naive imagination that isn't closed off to possibilities - it seems (based on Hollywood and how everyone talks) people are only capable of imagining dystopia - I think it's a bit of a cop-out. I think it makes people despondent if they are not capable of imagining a positive outcome, and then more prone to inaction.

Secondly, I am not saying that our small part is all we can do - I also mentioned spreading ideas, meaning ensuring that as many as possible are as aware as possible. If there's something other than spreading ideas (including protest, if that is effective), voting, and lifestyle choices, that you think we can do, I'm happy to hear it.

53 minutes ago, ignatius said:

the real drivers of all this are mega corporations and a handful of people sitting in board rooms deciding our fate based solely on their own desire for profits at the expense of everything. 

Blaming individual bad actors is understandable, it makes sense to be angry at those people, but I believe as Zizek says that capitalism pushes people further in that direction who have that propensity - if you are not unscrupulous enough, you would never get to the top of the system. And since there's not going to be a violent revolution (and even if there was, it could be an even greater disaster), voting and spreading information are the only options we have.

7 minutes ago, hoggy said:

people are only capable of imagining dystopia

this is a very good point. cynicism is very powerful. for my entire life (i'm 51) there's been little reason to think anything else about how it will go. the only victories are small and personal and come from relationships with people and creating community. now and then there is a larger victory because someone dedicated their life to something and went all in on trying to hold someone accountable. but I can recall no time when the powers that be didn't have us all by the throat. 

there's so much at stake. i'm a realist about it all and i'm ready to be surprised but dismantling the free market economy and replacing capitalism with something else seems impossible here.. and yeah.. maybe it's a failure of imagination and maybe we just need to wait for capitalism to destroy itself but the problem is it destroys everything else in the process. 

mutual aid, creating community, doing our best etc seems our only options. out of that maybe the next thing will be born but i suspect we'll have to go through "The Road" to get there. 

i don't know. i don't have any answers. i just want to make atonal techno and ride my bike and live in a not terrible place. i don't have the energy to tilt at windmills all day and don't have the courage to throw my body into the gears of the machine. i don't know what good it would do anyways in a system that routinely eats its own. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ignatius said:

don't have the courage to throw my body into the gears of the machine

What would that mean, practically speaking?

5 minutes ago, hoggy said:

What would that mean, practically speaking?

open to interpretation. how much responsibility should one person claim for the conditions of life as we find it today?

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

open to interpretation. how much responsibility should one person claim for the conditions of life as we find it today?

I just wondered what for you what that phrase means - I dunno, maybe you mean glueing yourself to roads or sending constant letters at the expense of enjoying life? The martyr or self-sacrifice overtones of "throwing your body into the gears of the machine" feels a bit grandiose or unhealthily motivated somehow, but maybe you meant it more poetically, I'm not sure

26 minutes ago, hoggy said:

I just wondered what for you what that phrase means - I dunno, maybe you mean glueing yourself to roads or sending constant letters at the expense of enjoying life? The martyr or self-sacrifice overtones of "throwing your body into the gears of the machine" feels a bit grandiose or unhealthily motivated somehow, but maybe you meant it more poetically, I'm not sure

over dramatic grandiose on purpose. hyperbole because getting into this shit seems like a huge distraction and the problems are beyond anyone's control unless everyone goes all in. i wouldn't want to get into what it would mean for me. 

2 minutes ago, ignatius said:

over dramatic grandiose on purpose. hyperbole because getting into this shit seems like a huge distraction and the problems are beyond anyone's control unless everyone goes all in. i wouldn't want to get into what it would mean for me. 

Ok, I just hope you don't plan to do something crazy

7 hours ago, hoggy said:

Ok, I just hope you don't plan to do something crazy

lol. nah. i'm fine. no plans for anything other than riding bike, making music and being ultra basic. 

edit: this video could go in 3 or 4 threads but here it seems relevant

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

edit: this is crazy shit. 

children w/higher level of PFAS in their bodies have weakened immune systems. antibodies don't work well.. so vaccines don't work on them. also, weaker skeletons... higher incidences of cancer. 

the only way they've found that people can reduce levels of PFAS is when women give birth. they offload the PFAS to the baby while pregnant and then after birth when breast feeding. so, women are thinking about breast feeding for shorter periods of time. 

they're yet to find anyone anywhere who doesn't have PFAS in their blood. thousands and thousands of blood samples

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, YEK said:

I see some restaurants around me have switched from paper straws back to plastic because there’s word that the paper ones are toxic. Fuck paper straws really. 

fuck all straws really. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ignatius said:
5 hours ago, trying to be less rude said:

wonder if tom regrets "go plastic"

why would he regret his best album?

we need to move away from plastic. next album should be "plastic free." raise awareness about plastic free products

i can't do anything without putting 5 pieces of plastic in the ocean.

Edited by trying to be less rude

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

problem is just so huge.. plastics need to just be banned except for essential uses like medical situations and stuff like that. soon the weight of plastic in the ocean will be greater than the weight of all the fish in the ocean. also, there's thousands of chemicals in plastics and they keep adding more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1