IGNORED

Microplastics

milkface

Just wait until you read about nanoplastics.

Edit:Sorry, that was the plastic in my brain typing. It's bad.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

ever since the advent of cybernetic theory there's been a concerted movement towards an infinitely malleable society; thus you could refer to our present ideological milieu as the macroplastic

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

17 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

If only as a society we could envisioned that making literally all disposal one-time-use items out of material that lasts forever could be a shit idea

Haha kind of embarrassing when you put it like that. I'm guilty of buying plastic bags all the fucking time though tbh

Yeah, this shit is the most serious and, like, really solvable ultra-problem we face, not all that other shit. But they'll deal with it tomorrow!

Not a fan of stand-up method of making statements, but this struck me as insightful when I heard it ages ago

9 hours ago, very honest said:

this seems like our doom

Imagine how sad our dead planet will seem to future aliens.

Alien - ”WTF happened to this place?”

Other Alien: ”I’m not sure Captain, but this flyer I found may provide some clue”

britney.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/17/2021 at 11:39 AM, very honest said:

this seems like our doom

i haven't done too much formal research into the topic but my understanding is that this has historically been a common cause of civilization decline. a civ builds itself up by heavily exploiting certain productive patterns, which inevitably leads to certain vital resources being depleted & production of massive amounts of a specific toxic byproduct. eventually an entirely new civilization rises in a different part of the world using a different method, but eventually repeats the same pattern in the abstract

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Cryptowen said:

i haven't done too much formal research into the topic but my understanding is that this has historically been a common cause of civilization decline. a civ builds itself up by heavily exploiting certain productive patterns, which inevitably leads to certain vital resources being depleted & production of massive amounts of a specific toxic byproduct. eventually an entirely new civilization rises in a different part of the world using a different method, but eventually repeats the same pattern in the abstract

humans r very bad at using hindsight

By the way, it is known that certain fungi and toxic bugs digest even the hardest plastic fully (search The Guardian articles for examples). You can then eat the resulted fungi.

But the problem as I understand it is not with plastic per se, but especially toxic components within it, like PFAS, which are used in all types of regular products. This shit is making us infertile and perhaps less man/woman-like too

EsHS9Te.jpg

A few years ago I was in the Dominican Republic on a beach and realized that half of what I thought was sand on me was actually tiny particles of multicolored micro plastic beads. There wasn’t much in the way of large plastic  debris on the beach so I thought it was really strange that this stuff was everywhere, given plastic’s tendency to not break down easily. Anyway, I think about it all the time because the stuff was practically invisible until you got out of the water and then it was all over you. Fucking terrifying. 

• Sad 2

• 6 months later...

Get ahead of it and eat more plastic. There was that one dude who ate an entire airplane piece by piece and he's not dead. All this quitter talk in here is just making up excuses to not do the work of eating your snickers bars with the wrappers ON.

Some would say it's the way God intended it if it is indeed the future. Adapt, Improvise, and eat more plastic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, milkface said:

it's everywhere. everywhere. everywhere. more and more plastic is made all the time. wrapping shit in plastic... plastic BBs for airsoftguns that get shot everywhere... plastic wrapped fruit... and on and on.. humanity is insanity.  if there's ever a reckoning i hope we through the industrial assholes who keep forcing plastic onto everything into volcanos. 

• Like 1