IGNORED

Grouper - Shade [Kranky]

New Grouper album on the way this October. Just one preview track up at the moment. 

I've been listening to Grouper a lot recently, A I A : Alien Observer and Ruins in particular, so this news is a welcome. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, dcom said:

Could you give me recommendations on where to start with Grouper? A new one for me.

Start with the Paradise Valley single. It's 2 songs and gives you a pretty good idea of Grouper's sound. If you like it, go on to Ruins and the other albums.

she's great.  sometimes epic delicate sadness. i like what she does but sometimes it's devastating. hard not to adore her sound/vibe though. 

'Holding' always just kills me. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Start with the Paradise Valley single. It's 2 songs and gives you a pretty good idea of Grouper's sound. If you like it, go on to Ruins and the other albums.

I'd agree with that, I'd add the Water People single too. 

Paradise Valley ❤️, Headache is probably my favourite track from her catalogue. She Loves Me That Way is a close second from A I A : Alien Observer. 

29 minutes ago, ignatius said:

she's great.  sometimes epic delicate sadness. i like what she does but sometimes it's devastating. hard not to adore her sound/vibe though. 

'Holding' always just kills me. 

Some tracks are just on the verging of being crushing, but it never takes me the fully. Does make me want to pack my bags and go a walking. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

I'd agree with that, I'd add the Water People single too. 

Paradise Valley ❤️, Headache is probably my favourite track from her catalogue. She Loves Me That Way is a close second from A I A : Alien Observer. 

Some tracks are just on the verging of being crushing, but it never takes me the fully. Does make me want to pack my bags and go a walking. 

yes! or road trip to the coast or something. has a very open air feeling to me always. longing for a thing or person or whatever. but connected at the same time. she's a gem. really puts it out there. perhaps the vulnerability is daring and so appealing.

2 x cups of coffee so uh rambling. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

Headache is probably my favourite track from her catalogue.

Didn't want to muddy the water but this is the same for me. That song is essentially perfect in my eyes.

edit:  As an aside, everyone should check the side project band Helen. Fuzz pop that's just great, don't really know what else to say.

Edited by Taupe Beats
  • Like 2

Heartened to hear to her back on the acoustic guitar on this single  after a long period of mainly wurlitzer and piano. This albums said to be made up of tracks spanning 15 years, so I'm expecting a bit of a mix of styles. She has said in an interview she still has about 250 songs written but not yet recorded.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

AOTY for me, but admittedly haven't listened to much new music. This album feels very familiar to me. In a good way. I've been falling asleep to this album for days now.  Very cohesive despite tracks being recorded years apart. I wonder how many other great tracks she's sitting on.

On 7/27/2021 at 12:49 PM, Taupe Beats said:

Didn't want to muddy the water but this is the same for me. That song is essentially perfect in my eyes.

edit:  As an aside, everyone should check the side project band Helen. Fuzz pop that's just great, don't really know what else to say.

Headache is exceedingly good, hard to pick a favorite though. There are other good collaborations. Mirroring - Fell Sound, Xiu Xiu and Grouper - Growing into Veins is probably the track that got me into Grouper. 

Edited by oldenjon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

New Grouper related album surprise released today.  She revived her Raum project with Jefre Cantu-Ledesma for the first time in almost 10 years.  Just listened to it and it does not disappoint at all.  Fitting perfectly with the icy weather outside the last few days.  It's been a welcome surprise to have both this and the new Hoavi (listening now) released on the same.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ignatius said:

oh wow. she's playing in portland in april. like 9 blocks from my house. 

I've not heard her live in some time, just booked tickets for the appearance at the Barbican this April.

Shade is excellent, and the new Raum release is sounding pretty pretty good too.

• Like 1