IGNORED

Holy Other - Lieve

auxien

https://boomkat.com/products/lieve

"Emerging from an extended stay at Bidston Observatory on the Wirral, Lieve was recorded throughout 2020 in the North West of England. Using the acoustics of the observatory — the cavernous basement and the geometrically-perfect wooden domes — Holy Other recorded and resampled material that would become the bedrock of Lieve. A marker in the sand as his first output since 2012’s critically acclaimed Held, these recordings — including the voice of NYX’s Sian O’Gorman, violin from Simmy Singh and saxophone from Daniel Thorne — were cut, manipulated and pieced together to form Lieve."

LP and CD, mid November. 

i'm hyped, love the Holy Other stuff so much.

• Like 3

Official video for the title track

Promising sounds! Looking forward to hearing the rest.

My wife and I bonded over our enjoyment of their work back when we were first dating (has it really been 10 years?) It's nice to see them back.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, auxien said:

but that transition at ~2:30 sealed it, lovely stuff. 

definitely. idk why, but whenever I see "saxophone" I mentally roll my eyes. but then when I actually think about it, some of the top classic downtempo era stuff I like features sax samples all done quite well. this track posted above is no exception, that is an excellent outro.   

• Like 1

that deep resonating warm-cool bass he does that envelops you is one of the things I've always liked the most about his music. it seems to be a little less emphasised this time round but I can still feel it.

... compared against this track of his which was the first I heard and which enamored me to his sound:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Played a lot of new music today which I haven’t done for a while and fifth track in on this I’m easily convinced this is the pick of the crop. I’ll just apply some brakes on my enthusiasm though, because it can easily run out of control. But this sounds fucking sweet. And to be honest I wasn’t expecting that.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 9:00 AM, Username said:

My wife and I bonded over our enjoyment of their work back when we were first dating (has it really been 10 years?) It's nice to see them back.

Haha, same here - but that was 8 years ago.

• Like 1

Great sounds on this, giving loads of feels... it will definitely get more spins from me. Songs do however feel like they could be longer and further explored, many sort of just end abruptly. Maybe thats what he was going for though, trying to add a sense of loss to the emotional quality of his music. It could just be me as I seem to be having this problem with a lot of music lately. Nevertheless welcome back Holy Other, and let's hope it's not another 10 years until we see more.

• Like 3

yeah this is really nice, may end up on my top albums of the year. still absorbing and only listened through twice so far, but it’s really solid front to back. 

the couple tracks with the odd volume dips still throw me tho, strange production choice but it’s not necessarily taking away or anything, just notable. 

a couple tracks sound sorta Andy Stott-ish too….or perhaps Andy Stott sounds Holy Other-ish… similar vibes at time i guess. 

anyway, i’m impressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

The couple tracks with the odd volume dips still throw me tho, strange production choice but it’s not necessarily taking away or anything, just notable. 

Yeah these were strange to me as well, they are so abrupt. I kept wondering how much better it would sound with some spacious reverb to fill the silences.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Username said:

Yeah these were strange to me as well, they are so abrupt. I kept wondering how much better it would sound with some spacious reverb to fill the silences.

yeah, that would be a bit less jolting if so....and one of them seems to have some weird slight digital distortion as the sounds sorta close/drop, but that may just have been the listening methods i was using whilst streaming perhaps.

anyway, Bandcamp link and embed follows: https://holyother.bandcamp.com/album/lieve

this really synchs well with dark winter evenings, or December dusk

I like this, but also see the pov that some of the tracks could perhaps be more fleshed out, still impressed for an artist has been quiet for so long

• 1 year later...

i'm not yet convinced by either albums, but i do return to "with u". i've never heard another artist quite like it, despite some of the sounds are like art of noise samples, so i wonder if anyone else has? is this really a genre? slow house doesn't seem to cover it. it's not one-dimensional, it's expansive and quite easy to connect with.