IGNORED

what do jazz freaks think of squarepusher?

easterlingman

i seem to remember asking this before... but do you have any friends that are jazz monkeys (you know the type) - they go to the hookah bar every thursday night and fight with their friends over who gets to solo..... what do they think of tracks like male pill pt 13 on hnd?

arosia-jazz-band-aarhus-01.jpg

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

this thread is probably doomed from the start because of that arrow

maybe it's safe because it's an artist subforum

Squarepusher is a talented bassist. And a wonderful composer. But there's no sense of "jamming" because everything is created by him. I'd like to see what he did in a band, but I think he might be bored by the constraints that being in a band places on a musician.

Guest carrybagman

I've been a jazz freak for decades and love Squarepusher but don't see much "jazz" in what he does but then there's no jazz in "On the Corner" or "Agharta" and they're amongst my favourites (along with Mingus who most certainly is "jazz").

Squarepusher is a talented bassist. And a wonderful composer. But there's no sense of "jamming" because everything is created by him. I'd like to see what he did in a band, but I think he might be bored by the constraints that being in a band places on a musician.

I saw him do a free-form jazz gig in a jazz trio. It was bloody brilliant and he was pretty sick.

I liked it.

i'm not sure he's really that "jazz" in his playing...

I've been a jazz freak for decades and love Squarepusher but don't see much "jazz" in what he does but then there's no jazz in "On the Corner" or "Agharta" and they're amongst my favourites (along with Mingus who most certainly is "jazz").

I think you guys need to recheck what "jazz" means. If you can't hear any jazz progressions in his latest, or say the first two tracks on Hard Normal Daddy...well....or I mean, just listen Music is Rotted One Note.

hard normal daddy is certainly jazz.

to the guy who said there's no improv feeling.. well that's what track like the modern bass guitar are all about IMO: a recurring theme but the rest is improv.

or tracks like sprite theme that's not jazz?

squarepusher is influenced by jazz musicians.

there are a lot of jazz musicians.

jazz means many things to many jazz musicians

it certainly meant different things for miles davis at many different times.

so yet, this means we cannot place tom jenkinson in the contemporary jazz musician category??

im waiting for brian ellis to post in this thread

Guest oxiactionmax
so yet, this means we cannot place tom jenkinson in the contemporary jazz musician category??

umm... yeah, he's not a contemporary jazz musician.

Guest brianellis
i seem to remember asking this before... but do you have any friends that are jazz monkeys (you know the type) - they go to the hookah bar every thursday night and fight with their friends over who gets to solo..... what do they think of tracks like male pill pt 13 on hnd?

arosia-jazz-band-aarhus-01.jpg <---> squarepusher.jpg

what kind of lame ass jazz are the "jazz monkeys" you speak of listening to? from what i know, jazz musicians are known for their heavy marijuana smoking <//////>~~~~ . Tom Jenkinsen is just like any other modern artist that takes their music seriously. He's influenced by lots of different types of music, jazz included. I love some jazz music, and I love some squarepusher (minus his latest lackluster effort). I guess that answers your question. I think anyone that pinpoints themself down to liking any specific genre is selling themself short of a lot of good music.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JW Modestburns

I hear lots of jazz elements in his music.

My dad was a jazz drummer in his younger years and I introduced him to SP, he loves his stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived