IGNORED

The Flashbulb : That missing week EP

beNito

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harky, do you look through all messageboards to defend or promote him at every instance?

Benn is excellent, but some of his shit sounds similar to other styles. I listened to the EP, and other albums of his, and while they are definately enjoyable, if I have another album of the same style that I enjoy much more, I will listen to that album over the Flashbulbs. Simple enough? It should be.

and also, to his credit, he can write damn good dance songs.

tell him to make more and ill buy those.

Guest Soothsayer
...unless you're closed minded enough to compare a song with a drum set and synthesizer to Squarepusher. I'm not saying none of his material isn't influenced by SP, but if you compare this record to it...you'll have to dump in a whole lot of other "respectable" albums.

I'm not trying to flame or even be a Flashbulb fanboy, but I'd like to hear some sort of foundation to the argument that Flashbulb is unoriginal. Again, he has his shadowed moments, but some of his stuff is really straight out of left field too.

I ignored this thread after about post 5 for a few days thinking, "Ya know, wow, more discussion on Flashbulb and why folks don't care for him"(this is not new road, as everyone knows), then I kept seeing this thread at the top of new releases, thinking "How in the fuck could that same tired discussion keep going!!?!?!"

Then I saw this post, and remembered this fucking cheerleader, and realized that wow, ya know, while it wasn't all roses and ass-kissing for Mr. Jordan up until this post, THIS is some cuntish shit...

...unless you're closed minded enough to compare a song with a drum set and synthesizer to Squarepusher.

If this isn't Benn Jordan, you might be his worst enemy for the kind of image you give to that man for such cuntish shit as this...

It's true that, while creating this thread (well, creating is rather a big word I'd say...) I didn't really expected it to last that long...

And about the "yugurt" thing, sorry about my spelling, but it was late, and I'm french, so I might do some errors sometimes...

For the record I put this EP on sometimes. I enjoy The Flashbulb. I just know that he's not very original and is a copycat.

His best music is his non-sequenced tracks with orchestration and acoustic instruments.

But again, a whole album of non-sequenced tracks (Reunion) is another move that we've seen done by Squarepusher (Music Is Rotted One Note). Not to say they are the same but...

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...ideoid=26063866

lol @ the really self important video.

I actually really like what I've heard of that track, but the influences shine very clear. This time he doesn't just barrow from Aphex and Squarepusher; there are strong elements of Boards of Canada and Autechre in there as well.

Guest Grim on Mbient

Lovely EP.

His influences are quite obvious and he make no attempt to disguise his influences. Imo he honours his influences by highlighting what he likes and give it his own twist.

Guest Enter a new display name
His best music is his non-sequenced tracks with orchestration and acoustic instruments.

But again, a whole album of non-sequenced tracks (Reunion) is another move that we've seen done by Squarepusher (Music Is Rotted One Note). Not to say they are the same but...

Réunion is easily his best album, in my opinion. This is way more original than everything he has done, but I would not compare the approach to accoustic instruments to Music Is Rotted One Note.

Yeah alright he does some good stuff, but he is not very orginal... But what do you think of Kelpe ?

He could be called a copycat as well, but when I listen to kelpe, I get more the "influenced by" felling than the "copycat" feeling I get with flashbulb... Kelpe is really good, and I'l really waiting for he's next album...

If this isn't Benn Jordan, you might be his worst enemy for the kind of image you give to that man for such cuntish shit as this...

If what I say makes you like certain music any less or more, then you're a moron and it is your own problem.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...ideoid=26063866

lol @ the really self important video.

I actually really like what I've heard of that track, but the influences shine very clear. This time he doesn't just barrow from Aphex and Squarepusher; there are strong elements of Boards of Canada and Autechre in there as well.

See? Nothing objective about this at all. It is just meaningless hating. Self-important? It is a promo for his album that doesn't have anything but a music sample and some time lapse footage. How the fuck is that self-important?

Ah ok. Since it isn't fast then it sounds like a mix of Aphex, Squarepusher, BOC, and...umm...Autechre? Might as well throw u-ziq in there because you clearly have never listened to anything other than 'WATMM artists' in your life.

I hope someone can see my point here. I could care less if people disliked his music. But this "LOL, Flashbulb uploaded a new picture on Myspace, what an asshole" shit makes everyone here look like a huge dipshit.

Hi Benn! You were polite to me in chicago, even though i talked about the tuss instead of u. Flex Hab is rad.

Defends Benn = is Benn?

I'm pretty sure he could give a shit about these forums. He doesn't even post on his own.

Hi Benn! You were polite to me in chicago, even though i talked about the tuss instead of u. Flex Hab is rad.

Defends Benn = is Benn?

I'm pretty sure he could give a shit about these forums. He doesn't even post on his own.

lol, defensive aren't we? No dude for real, I like quite a bit of your shit.

Guest Quixote

I don't quite understand why Harky is going bananas either. The resemblance to the innovators of the past definitely shines through most of the Flashbulb's output. Can I say so objectively like Harky is demanding? No; I'm not quite sure how to define what I hear objectively, because afterall my opinion of music is not an objective thing by definition. But the majority of us feel the similarity, so I'd say our ears are onto something.

I do still like to listen to his albums - he's got some good tunes and melodies for sure, and it's nice to hear more in the vein of Aphex and SP since their new albums are few and far between. He's good at using their foundations, with I'm sure some of what you could call his own style.

I would challenge Harky to state objectively that Benn is NOT like Aphex or SP.

(PS: Not that it matters, but as a person I really dislike Benn. I remember his posts on here too; he couldn't take any critisism at all and was quite the tempermental artist. Not that this changes my opinion of the music. Prince is a dick but his tracks are the same.)

Archived