IGNORED

The Flashbulb : That missing week EP

beNito

I don't know what you guys think about the flashbulb, but I've been trying to get into it, but this guy is really too much of a copycat for me I think... I mean, listen to this new ep, and tell me it's not a rip off Squarepusher's Ultravistor and iambic poetry...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know what you guys think about the flashbulb, but I've been trying to get into it, but this guy is really too much of a copycat for me I think... I mean, listen to this new ep, and tell me it's not a rip off Squarepusher's Ultravistor and iambic poetry...

I don't really care. I like his music, especially Our Furry Past Life.

Guest Enter a new display name
i would much prefer hard normal daddy/ big loada ripoffs

Most of The Flashbulb's stuff is Big Loada ripoff, in case you didn't notice. :rolleyes:

Guest serpico009

The Binedump EP and his Acid Wolf album are class. He may be derivative but he knows what he's doing and he churns out some great melodies.

Guest Adjective
He may be derivative but he knows what he's doing and he churns out some great melodies.

that's about what i usually want to say about him in flashbulb threads, but it sounds more insulting than i want it to. he does scratch an itch i have sometimes, i did have Flexing Habitual in my car for a while, i likes it.

i usually check out his stuff, i'll check this out as well

Guest serpico009
He may be derivative but he knows what he's doing and he churns out some great melodies.

that's about what i usually want to say about him in flashbulb threads, but it sounds more insulting than i want it to. he does scratch an itch i have sometimes, i did have Flexing Habitual in my car for a while, i likes it.

i usually check out his stuff, i'll check this out as well

The Acid Wolf stuff is on CD, too. I got a bad impression of him and his music from his antagonistic/sensitive artist stretch posting on the Planet Mu board, but I'm a sucker for the melodic electronic music drill n bass shit...

Funny to read since I more likely hear people bitching about how his new material isn't "breakcore enough".

This (and 100% the upcoming album) are a pretty big leap from Warp-esk electronic music in my opinion.

...unless you're closed minded enough to compare a song with a drum set and synthesizer to Squarepusher. I'm not saying none of his material isn't influenced by SP, but if you compare this record to it...you'll have to dump in a whole lot of other "respectable" albums.

I'm not trying to flame or even be a Flashbulb fanboy, but I'd like to hear some sort of foundation to the argument that Flashbulb is unoriginal. Again, he has his shadowed moments, but some of his stuff is really straight out of left field too.

Funny to read since I more likely hear people bitching about how his new material isn't "breakcore enough".

This (and 100% the upcoming album) are a pretty big leap from Warp-esk electronic music in my opinion.

...unless you're closed minded enough to compare a song with a drum set and synthesizer to Squarepusher. I'm not saying none of his material isn't influenced by SP, but if you compare this record to it...you'll have to dump in a whole lot of other "respectable" albums.

I'm not trying to flame or even be a Flashbulb fanboy, but I'd like to hear some sort of foundation to the argument that Flashbulb is unoriginal. Again, he has his shadowed moments, but some of his stuff is really straight out of left field too.

oh god, here we go again with his little fuckin ass buddy popping up to defend his honor at every next interval

flashbulb is technically able, no slouch, i'll give him that.

however, nearly everything i've ever heard from him has been total copycat BS. and i'm not stretching my imagination or saying well....it uses this concept or that or this instrument or that ---- the dude is fucking RIPPING OFF other artists. and what's sad is that he appears to be entirely unaware of this

bottom line, he has skill but lacks any real creativity

The lead tracki on this ep, the one actually called "that missing week" is really a copycat of squarepusher's ultravistor... The melody is really a lot alike, and the drum as well.... He's good, but not original, that's all...

oh god, here we go again with his little fuckin ass buddy popping up to defend his honor at every next interval

flashbulb is technically able, no slouch, i'll give him that.

however, nearly everything i've ever heard from him has been total copycat BS. and i'm not stretching my imagination or saying well....it uses this concept or that or this instrument or that ---- the dude is fucking RIPPING OFF other artists. and what's sad is that he appears to be entirely unaware of this

bottom line, he has skill but lacks any real creativity

You: All Flashbulb sounds like Squarepusher

Me: Explain the foundation to your argument

You: All Flashbulb sounds like Squarepusher

Hating = An argument without foundation.

Explain to me how Squarepusher is so uniquely different than Aphex Twin, then how Aphex Twin is so different than Kraftwerk, etc, etc, etc. Music is a shared idea you elitist jackass. I know it is hard to accept this fact because it dismantles your arguments.

I should note that this post isn't to defend The Flashbulb as much as it is to call out the excessive music snobbery. Its fine and dandy to not like something, but you're either ignoring half of his work or you haven't heard it if you're saying it is "RIPPING OFF" artists.

I'm not saying that flashbulb is a total copycat and that he's spending his time studying squarepusher's and aphex twin's work, fast, slow , forward backward to learn how to copy it best, just as his school teachers, at the good old copycat school told him so, during all these years ( 5 years for a copycat diploma is rather long don't you think ? ) or maybe I did, but the point is, and that's the title of this topic :

THAT MISSING WEEK EP

and particulary the main track, which is, and you can't deny it, a bad copy of squarepusher's Ultravisotr, with a little bit of Iambic poetry 9...

Not that there's anything bad to it, the man is actually doing what he's studied during these hard 5 years and the copycat international school, but it's just that, well

meh, that's a shame....

oh and please, don't tell me that the track is nothing like squapusher's because it is blatantly, and don't bother to say thinks about knobs and effects at '33 or 2'34, I only listened to it 3 times or something like that, I just found it really really bad and boring. It's like a bad brand yugurt, you taste one, if you don't like it , you don't need to eat the whole new pack to understand it's not as good as the original.

(sorry for the image with the yugurt and all, but that's what was on my mind... Maybe he should rename himself : FlashYugurt, Or maybe Bulbyugurt, which is a little bit strange I must say... Would he have the balls to do so ?

oh and please, don't tell me that the track is nothing like squapusher's because it is blatantly, and don't bother to say thinks about knobs and effects at '33 or 2'34, I only listened to it 3 times or something like that, I just found it really really bad and boring. It's like a bad brand yugurt, you taste one, if you don't like it , you don't need to eat the whole new pack to understand it's not as good as the original.

(sorry for the image with the yugurt and all, but that's what was on my mind... Maybe he should rename himself : FlashYugurt, Or maybe Bulbyugurt, which is a little bit strange I must say... Would he have the balls to do so ?

Ok. So you listened to one song three times, and based on that one song the entire album is horrible and a rip off Ultravisitor. You really liked Ultravisitor, but you have an astral connection with that particular album so a similar music style isn't even worth hearing. Which proves my point about lack of foundation.

And if you can compare an artist to a brand of yogurt, then can I assume that you're mentally challenged because in my small impression of you, you're unable to spell "yogurt"?

Flame on.

Archived