IGNORED

The Flashbulb : That missing week EP

beNito

Guest Quixote

PSS: I'm sure Benn knows the influence too. Remember how before DrukQs came out and the Flashbulb wasn't such a recognized name yet? Then this new "aphex twin - finnelbuk" or something track leaked and everyone speculated about it, and not long after Benn came onto the site to say it was actually his track "Bumblefuck, IL"? A coincidence? Probably not.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest goodwillsidis

Defends Benn = is Benn?

I'm pretty sure he could give a shit about these forums. He doesn't even post on his own.

lol, defensive aren't we? No dude for real, I like quite a bit of your shit.

I think Harky might be Cex pretending to be Benn pretending to be someone else.

Defends Benn = is Benn?

I'm pretty sure he could give a shit about these forums. He doesn't even post on his own.

lol, defensive aren't we? No dude for real, I like quite a bit of your shit.

I think Harky might be Cex pretending to be Benn pretending to be someone else.

lol... Why did you say Cex of all people?

btw, Planet TH

awesome song/neat little video too

see man, I love the shit like that that Benn puts out, Visual Chicago Acid, Think Acid,

they incorporate very old influences but they sound fresh and original for some reason. I really think he has talent at recreating the feeling of very bangin not intelligent or "classic" dance music from the 80's-90's, really improves on that formula.

But Harky, youre being a bit of an ass, calling us at a failure to be objective when at the same time you yourself use retorts such as "Benn doesn't give a fuck about this website." Then why bother arguing with us? You are obviously as biased as you think we are.

A+ thread guyz

i think the burden of proof is on harky here to explain how flashbulb is *not* a copycat

It depends what you think defines copycat. A lot of the arguments on this forum leave a very narrow definition. A couple pages back someone said Reunion ripped off Music Is One Rotted Note because they both use live instruments. The albums sound entirely different from one another, and I personally can't compare Reunion to anything that has come out of the electronic music genre. It is a very unique album that has gotten great reviews for its originality. You can disagree with those reviews, but I just ask that you explain beyond "Flashbulb sucks".

Do parts of Kirlian and Red Extensions travel down roads that Squarepusher and Aphex paved? Sure. But they're still great albums. One of my all time favorite albums is SAWII, which borrows heavily from Brian Eno's Music For Airports. I still cherish SAWII more.

But a lot of the stuff on Kirlian Selections doesn't seem borrow from those artists, and it still fits in rather well with the stuff that does. I think it is a very solid album for that reason.

Say what you will about this, as I'm sure it'll just get flamed back, but I think a lot of Benn's music works as a great bridge into the genres this forum represents. A lot of his stuff is listenable to the average non-geeked-out person, and on top of that, he's composing for Super Bowl ads and doing music work that expands to a much broader audience. There's the small electronic music group that sees him as an understudy of the old Warp artists, but then there's a larger audience that is discovering Warp stuff through Flashbulb when he's doing film/ad work or touring with bigger acts like Dillinger Escape Plan. For me, as someone who's been a 'fanboy' and friend of his for a long time, I see his 'electronic music' as just a stage of his career that he often still gets labeled with. You can't deny that he's talented and can be original when he wants to be, and with that is the reason why his publicity is bigger and bigger when electronic music and breakcore has gotten smaller and smaller.

Please understand that I'm not advocating that his shit doesn't stink. There are tracks where I definitely see influence, and there are tracks that I think are garbage. Maybe I just look at music differently than a lot of people here because I'm not a musician or because I listen to a lot of other genres. Or maybe that's just the way publicity works. No matter what the court's decision was, Michael Jackson will always be known to some people as a child molester. And perhaps, to some, The Flashbulb will always be known as a Squarepusher ripoff. Sorry if I caused further flamage here.

Guest goodwillsidis

harky, harky... you bait with the best of them!

and on top of that, he's composing for Super Bowl ads and doing music work that expands to a much broader audience.

Connections to those tasteless turds in the advertising industry is something to brag about?

You can't deny that he's talented and can be original when he wants to be, and with that is the reason why his publicity is bigger and bigger when electronic music and breakcore has gotten smaller and smaller.

Haha, publicity-- nothing reaffirms the quality of an artist like publicity.

Plus, it never expires-- I'm sure in a year or two this board will be full of threads linking to archived reviews of Flashbulb albums, with much forehead slapping all around.

Connections to those tasteless turds in the advertising industry is something to brag about?

Maybe not for tasteless ads. But having a couple Cannes and London International awards on your bookshelf definitely is.

Guest goodwillsidis
Maybe not for tasteless ads. But having a couple Cannes and London International awards on your bookshelf definitely is.

Definitely is what?

Something to brag about?

Maybe if you're on a weekend in the Hamptons with some ad-industry turds...

Musician who sees shilling for advertisers as being a positive mark of distinction=minstrel.

i thought this thread couldn't get anymore embarrassing.

and then we have mark hall bragging about the flashbulb's awards.

hit me up when dude's working with bono on something.

i thought this thread couldn't get anymore embarrassing.

and then we have mark hall bragging about the flashbulb's awards.

hit me up when dude's working with bono on something.

Whatever you need to do say make yourself feel like less of a fat loser dude. You win. I'm done.

I was asked to explain myself, I did, and I am embarrassed that I even bothered to spend the time doing so.

Guest serpico009
fuck, I did all my Flashbulb hatin' in the wrong thread and now I'm out of juice

here's what I got: fuck chicago, fuck acid, and definitely fuck chicago acid

actually his "visual chicago acid" track is pretty good, imo.

Guest serpico009

well harky ruins all his arguments by sliding in a snide insult in every post. do that and no one is going to find common ground with you, purely out of spite.

is a

whoo whoo

everybody!

whoo whoo

whistle stop!

whhoooooooooooooo

Guest AOOproductions

I think he's cool, sounds fresh and juicy with some mustard for sure... but the next squarepusher... me thinkith notith. Maybe he can add a cool country twinge to his music.

Guest tht! tne

i have advocated the flashbulb before but i've changed my mind

i think the thing lacking in his music is a sophisticated melodic sense

and it's not as if that's always true; some moments of inspiration are there

at first i was really enthralled to find someone else making drillnbass

other than aphex twin and squarepusher but i gradually became disillusioned

is a

whoo whoo

everybody!

whoo whoo

whistle stop!

whhoooooooooooooo