IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

I got a second-hand copy of Electric Eden, described as new on eBay but it appears to have been thrown down multiple stairs and the spine has a few cracks so I'll probably get it from a shop, getting bad vibes from this one.

I don't speak to many people.

endeavor to persevere

it'll prompt some quality tune hunting on top of the more schematic stuff, some of which you'll think are utter pish & some that are ethereal windows into other worlds

Reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons

The new Don Delillo novel Zero K just up on my Kindle, so I guess that's next up.

new Delillo.. gotta grab that one ASAP.. shit.. to read pile is gonna fall over and kill me in m sleep.

Second the e-reader comment: reading footnotes through an url link is much quicker and neater than flipping pages in a huge book.

You guys gotta be kidding. The sheer physicality of the book, and the formal structure of its text, is half the joke. It's supposed to be a hassle. You can't lampoon the highbrow literati with an ebook.

My most recent reads (thesis-writing procrastination in full swing, now) are Maurice Blanchot's Aminadab, a collection of mostly-new-to-me Tommaso Landolfi, and I just started in on Ishmael Reed's Mumbo Jumbo (mainly picked it up because I read Angel Heart by William Hjortsberg awhile back and have been jonesin' for more inner-city voodoo ever since).

A huge ass book (some 500 pages, small print) on fascism and it's appeal to European intellectuals prior to and during WW2. It's in Finnish.

^ I always felt like I came to that too late, in my teens I would have been all over it but in my mid-20's I was a jaded motherfucker and thought it was quite irritating.

Speaking of boring:

Moby Dick: just got past the boring part where he describes a bunch of whales (in a tiny font!) and also Captain Ahab has shown up.

He sits on a chair and stares at the sea.

Also discussed is the patent for the crows nest and what goes into it, like chairs and jackets.

I'm at 26%. No whales, white or otherwise so far. And the ship has just begun a three year voyage...

Bechuga's Recommendation: read the abridged version, unless you want to know the authentic life of a whaler.

I have not read that, but there is a bar in San Francisco named Moby Dick, I think it's named after the DJ.

Looking forward to this months issue of the wire, comes with a tapper.

Looking forward to reading.more art books, and taking trips down memory lane. XX

I have not read that, but there is a bar in San Francisco named Moby Dick, I think it's named after the DJ.

I don't know that DJ, but those initials are close to my little brothers, who is related to me.

The Terror - Dan Simmons

I haven't read anything in ages & figured since this book is being adapted by AMC for 2017 premier, I figured why not. I don't know how they're gonna cram this book into 10 episodes though. About 1/2 way through & enjoying it. Basically historical fiction about an actual doomed naval expedition trying to get through the Northwest passage. A supernatural creature thrown in for good measure. Not something I would have pursued back in the 1800s as a career. Hellacious infact. It can be a slow burn at times & the naval jargon goes over my head, but still a thumbs up for me as of right now.

Scurvy is definitely IDM.

Just finished the Martian and also watched the movie. The book was better - why did they pick Matt Damon?

After seeing the film I wish I had read the book first. The film is amazing yeah but it would have been great to read.

What's wrong with Matt Damon? He was probably partly chosen because of his massive popularity but I thought he was terrific in it.

Edited by Caribou

Just finished the Martian and also watched the movie. The book was better - why did they pick Matt Damon?

After seeing the film I wish I had read the book first. The film is amazing yeah but it would have been great to read.

What's wrong with Matt Damon? He was probably partly chosen because of his massive popularity but I thought he was terrific in it.

He wasn't terrible, and it was enjoyable to watch, but in the book homeboy was way dorkier, cracking dad jokes and seeming less like... a jock turned scientist.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Still reading Moby Dick: at 49% way through the book, the first whale shows up. Halfway through!

Lots of amazing sentences: "We were looking at a field of sperm"