IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

ah good old dodgy bits. i quite enjoyed justin cronins 'the passage' trilogy - waiting now for the third part. i thought the first book was really well written apart from a seriously dodgy bit in the middle that just left me confused as to why the hell you put that in a decent book...

still worth a read tho

schilds ladder - a bit weird if i remember?

Quite insane at times lol. Egan takes his ideas as far as they go (and then some) but it never gets nonsensical.

i know it had the space station but was it the one where they became really small and flat and fought a war inbetween sheets of ice or something?

No ice AFAIK, it's the space station on the edge of an expanding area with alternate laws of physics (cellular automaton stuff) which they enter somehow and which is quite hostile to them.

I really liked the idea of how people are perfectly okay with their identity being only information, and sending themselves through space as radio waves etc.., I think it's similar to Diaspora in that.

But now I'm curious what sheets of ice you're talking about :P Just started reading book 1 of the Orthogonal trilogy, so far it's pretty cool.

Edited by th555

No ice AFAIK, it's the space station on the edge of an expanding area with alternate laws of physics (cellular automaton stuff) which they enter somehow and which is quite hostile to them.

I really liked the idea of how people are perfectly okay with their identity being only information, and sending themselves through space as radio waves etc.., I think it's similar to Diaspora in that.

But now I'm curious what sheets of ice you're talking about :P Just started reading book 1 of the Orthogonal trilogy, so far it's pretty cool.

Yeah i do remember it, they have asian sounding names, or one of the female characters has an asian sounding name.

i cant for the life of me remember the ice one. they are fighting wars for some reason but they arent all necessarily human-sized format. i cant remember.

Nearly finished annihilation - i like it. its serious enough (so far :emotawesomepm9:)& i like books that dont make things obvious, im enjoying getting drawn in to the world.

got quite a few nebula nominee and winners novella to read also

I feel like this is currently more relevant to this thread than the films thread - To people into Southern Reach: Alex Garland, who recently directed Ex Machina, is directing a film adaptation of Annihilation. Haven't seen Ex Machina yet, but I like his fiction. Annihilation is also probably my favorite book of the three, so I'm v. excited.

Edited by Vilwx

Just finished The Long Walk, don't know why I stayed away from King's Bachman books for so long as this completely kicked my arse. Brutal premise and dusted it off in three days, and he was only 18 when he wrote it. Talented bugger, Roadwork is up next.

Just finished The Long Walk, don't know why I stayed away from King's Bachman books for so long as this completely kicked my arse. Brutal premise and dusted it off in three days, and he was only 18 when he wrote it. Talented bugger, Roadwork is up next.

ffffuuuuu, that's insane.

I'm just about to start reading Ulysses, held off for ages because I suspected it might be a load of pretentious wank but I was flicking through it yesterday whilst quite baked and it caught my interest; only on the introduction so far but we'll see how this goes...

I started the dark tower once and didnt get into it. i really should, im such a fan of kings writing when he nails it.

ahaha i knew i recognised it somehow - in '1408' the writer is doing a book signing and a girl comes up and talks about 'the long walk' and if it was anything to do with his childhood as it was so well written. he denies it, but you know it was.

no spoilers thanks but thats a clear reference - maybe thats why it comes across so well for a young adults story.

Ubik was kinda meh, I didn't feel it that much. I don't even really know what was he trying to convey with it really. Also (spoilers) if you know you're living in a fake world why don't you just go fucking bonkers? Chip knows he's in a fake fabricated world but he still would rather die than steal the can of Ubik from the old guy, lol come on. "I don't have fake money in this fake dream world, I guess this is it then" lel. Also why doesn't he try to bash the dead kid's head in? The one who has invading other half-lifer's bodies. I dunno, Chip's and Al's actions and reactions just didn't make much sense to me. They don't even consider that the girl with completely world altering powers might have something to do with it until like way too late in the book.

I dunno. Just a very unsatisfying book to me

Authors and their books are like plates of food at a buffet table: I don't need to eat the whole plate, just have a taste. With Dick, I've had a few bits off his plate and that's enough for me.

I have had my taste of Dick, and I enjoyed it.

The only authors who I've voraciously hunted down more work is Vonnegut and Yasutaka Tsutsui. Not that there's much Tsutsui in English (read Hell if you find it, a really good fractured book, the only book I've reread a bunch of times) so it's easy to read it all.

Edited by Bechuga

Starting A Song of Ice and Fire for the third time. I've never gotten past book two but these days there's spoilers everywhere so this is my only chance to enjoy it before it's ruined on me.