IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 6:55 PM, Milwaukeeeee said:

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch is nice. PK Dick being cooler and imaginativier in this bitch

I don't know whether he wrote it around the same time, but Martian Time Slip was fucked up in a similar way and it quickly became one of my favorite PKD novels.

• Like 1

Jozef Karika - Priepasť (Abyss) - slovak story about mountains and places in mountains where strange forces operate near cliffs that make people jump from them 

Edited by Muflontillah
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just polished of another novel by Adolfo Bioy Casares (one of Borges’ buddies): Dormir al Sol.

Starts off innocently enough: middle aged man has unhealthy relationship with wife and with housekeeper (no sexytime, sorry). In-laws not to great either. Just regular slice of life boring meandering stuff.

But there’s some weird sprinkled in. Things that seem reasonably normal only a little bit off. Maybe.

This is a good thing because it keeps you reading to ...

... the end, which is gloriously twisted, unsettling and makes all of the preceding 180 pages worth it I hindsight,

?

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2020 at 7:16 PM, hello spiral said:

I'm reading Andrew Niederman's PIN. I've been a fan of the 1988 movie for about 15 years (it was weird going back to it and recognising Locke from Lost, as the dad. Because when I first saw it Lost didn't exist)

image.png.7e387840f10de8eebf7ef114c249d0e8.png

I recommend the movie too, it's weird af

image.png.2a985903869aca5215f46505a344f2d2.png

image.png.1393e2e17eeffc19dc6150c423ff5614.png

tumblr_pemctzXcC81qj6sk2o2_500.gifv

image.png.1641dcf40bee2ac451ba93f42c549944.png

I watched this a few nights ago, genuinely great. Locke was a surprise but even more so Mike from Breaking Bad doing the voice!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently reading two books. Kafka - Trial - I love the style of that era from Europe (and Russia too). So weird and twisted as most of the authors couldn't write about politics openly because they would risk their life.

The other book is Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Highly recommended. 

1 hour ago, ropprecht said:

I am currently reading two books. Kafka - Trial - I love the style of that era from Europe (and Russia too). So weird and twisted as most of the authors couldn't write about politics openly because they would risk their life.

The other book is Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Highly recommended. 

Kafka is one of my favorite authors. With you on the style of that time period, too.

My favorite works of Kafka are not his novels, however, but his short stories. Some of which he himself thought were good enough to publish during his lifetime. There also very funny, but that part only becomes clear when you read them aloud to someone else.

4 hours ago, rhmilo said:

There also very funny, but that part only becomes clear when you read them aloud to someone else.

I am from eastern europe so I think that somewhat helps tuning into this type of humour. Super dark and twisted.

1 minute ago, rhmilo said:

Cool. Any other favorites from dark and twisted (Eastern) European 1910-1920 you can recommend?

Uh, I mostly read the Russians from that time period, would definitely recommend Bulgakov - you might know about him already. Master and Margarita is my favourite book.

Also my other favourite authoris Boris Vian, although he was more like 1930's and 40's and was French but super surreal and fun. 
enjoy ! ?️?

8 hours ago, ropprecht said:

Uh, I mostly read the Russians from that time period, would definitely recommend Bulgakov - you might know about him already. Master and Margarita is my favourite book.

Also my other favourite authoris Boris Vian, although he was more like 1930's and 40's and was French but super surreal and fun. 
enjoy ! ?️?

Yes, the Master and Margerita was great.

I liked Babel’s short stories as well (roughly the same time period, yes?).

6 minutes ago, Bob Dylan said:

Read the entire Walking Dead comics, all 193 issues.  Good stuff in these days...

The full run of the series is currently available in digital from Humble Bundle for 16,5 €/$18, four days left to get them

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, willochill said:

Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol

It's really hilarious in a cynical way and I love it, weird how humor is so immune to time

Dead souls is, indeed, hilarious.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Bernd Ladwig: Politische Philosophie der Tierrechte (political philosophy of animal rights)

A rather academic read

You turning into some sort of animal rights activist or something?

Oh, I've always been interested in that topic. I find most forms of activism intrusive but I do think that animal rights are an issue. Intensive industrial life stock farming is not only a huge environmental damage but is also immoral in terms of animal cruelty and that on a very large scale and I'm interested to hear a sober voice on the political and moral philosophical implications of this issue instead of some highly emotionalised animal rights activist. Therefore I'm reading this book

That kebab though ?

kebab-3-1080x960.jpg