IGNORED

Recording an aphex live set

Guest joshier

Guest joshier

I've been researching and getting some help from here regarding recording an aphex twin set.

I'm seeing him at the bestival and I'm going to buy some £250 worth of equipment to record it.

This is the first time for me, but I'm determined to make a good job of it.

If you have any experience with recording sets which are at an acceptable level, please help me.

Here's my other post on here

Guest joshier
Whatever you do, watch out for potential unreleased stuff he decides to drop at the gig, plus (don't know what the likelihood is of him playing this tune a second time), but try and get a better recording of this tune from the Manchester Gig:

http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?showtopic=29417

I'm going to try and get the best quality of the whole set, so it doesn't matter what tune he plays...

Though, I am consciously very aware of that tune.. it's one of my favourite tracks from his new stuff.

Guest joshier

I was speaking to my friend about this and he tried to inject doubt and negative energy into my plan.

His points were..

'you're going to have to to stay still', my comeback - 'I'll attach it to the railings'

'but you're going to be moving about' -'I can always try and ask the sound technician to get feed out'

'nah that is doubtful'.

My other comebacks which I didn't include were 'it could be a small gig (place) and thus I will be able to stand behind the attached microphone on railings, thus not getting it nicked..' and.. 'locking it to the railings'..

I also know there's a large stand in the middle of the main site, thus allowing me to just pop it onto it and then leave it there as I stand infront of it.

What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest keirondrk

sounds great look forward to hopefully hearing it later in the year if all goes well, would be excellent..

don't let him dash your hopes.... i'm sure it's doable ;)

I've only ever recorded 1 show before and on very basic equipment, and well, its quite listenable!

Minidisc & very basic sony stereo mic . . had to filter/process it quite a bit and sadly missed the end

of the show as it was longer than expected.

I think it's going to be a bit of get the best equipment you can.. get some ideas on positioning and

hopefully have enough time when you get there to put one of them into practice and hope for the best.

Getting jacked into the sound board would be lovely... but I guess if they are very anti the idea

you have just personally notified them you want to record the show and have brought equipment to do so.

Difficult one..

nice big hat with a mic in and stand verrrryyy stilllllllllll :) hehehe.

I was speaking to my friend about this and he tried to inject doubt and negative energy into my plan.

His points were..

'you're going to have to to stay still', my comeback - 'I'll attach it to the railings'

'but you're going to be moving about' -'I can always try and ask the sound technician to get feed out'

'nah that is doubtful'.

My other comebacks which I didn't include were 'it could be a small gig (place) and thus I will be able to stand behind the attached microphone on railings, thus not getting it nicked..' and.. 'locking it to the railings'..

I also know there's a large stand in the middle of the main site, thus allowing me to just pop it onto it and then leave it there as I stand infront of it.

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't even try to get a board feed at a festival. Not gonna happen. I'd consider mounting your mics on a hat you'd be wearing and standing as still as possible. This means try not to be in an area with lots of people dancing, bashing into you. You want the mikes to be head level - down low on a railing waist height, the sound is likely to be obscured and muffled from all the people standing in front of them. Unfortunately if you do tape, you can't really go crazy. Whooping and dancing about are a sacrifice you'll have to make, but if you go about it the right way you will get a good recording of the show and receive 100000 internet points for sharing ;)

Be sure to check and set your levels, etc beforehand. Do a test in an earlier set to make sure you don't end up with a distorted overdriven recording. Also basic things - make sure you have enough recording space for the set, make sure you don't nudge the buttons in your pocket by mistake, etc. I'd recommend getting a WAV recorder of some sort. With Minidiscs or something, you're going to be fiddling around with disc changes etc. Not ideal.

If you want anymore help, give me a shout. I've been involved in other fan communities where taping shows is rife, so I can ask some tapers for gear recommendations/tips etc if you would like?

Archived