IGNORED

does anyone on this forum actually listen to minimal/other techno, house?

pcock

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i listened to a bit of minimal a couple of years ago, but already then it was starting to get flooded with poo, and it all started to sound samey. [...] villalobos is the only one i still listen to, cuz his stuff has some originality.

u said it.

Is this strictly about minimal? Because I saw house in the title, and it was separated by a comma.

I was HUGE into house around 99-2003. Mostly underground deep house and garage house, and a bit of tech house. Man that stuff was sooo good. It really made me want to spin records, but I wasn't ready to start investing a ton of cash into the hobby, seeing how much I'd already spent on CDs at that point in my life. I remember losing a bit of weight because of the dancing, also. :biggrin: I started getting into breaks and nu school breaks around 02, through an awesome net station out of San Fransisco. But since then I haven't listened to too much danceable music. Got back into a huge rock phase around 02-03 that's still going strong but as far as electronic it's mostly IDM/downtempo/trip-hop/instrumental hip-hop for me.

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

Basic Channel, Plastikman/Hawtin, Villalobos, Monolake, Studio 1/Voigt, Sleeparchive

can't have sleeparchive without mentioning mika vainio's Ø albums, metri, olento and tulkinta

indeed, those are favourites of mine too

im starting to border on obsession, glasgow is absolutely unreal for it.

few high lights of the last few months have been

robert hood

original detroit techno stuff doesnt interest me remotely.

hmmm

I'd say in current context, it's fairly safe to consider Robert Hood as more original detroit techno. I understand he's second wave technically but...you know.

Current minimal is awfully boring.

basic channel is lush. as well as pretty much all of what super lurker and azatoth listed.

for house though, I mean..there's so much out there. I like the Wagon Repair label a fair bit, and some masters at work stuff....

It's interesting cause i think a lot of house is going back to the really small runs of 12"s after being massive around the millenium.

i dont really get the dullness, every dj has their own unique flavour so that every night out im hooked in. the sheer amount of it helps aswell, even after 4 years listening to it, if i go out for the night im only likely to recognise 6-7 tunes out of 40 or whatever.

and robert hood does not spin that cheesy synth based type techno when he plays, i havent heard much of his original stuff from the detroit era, but he played mainly bass orientated stuff when i saw him. was a great night, he warmed up for green velvet, who has the gayest name going but left my ears and my belly feeling warm and fuzzy.

Yeah I used to be alot into The Orb. Orbus Terrarum and Orb's Adventures In The Ultraworld are still awesome for tripping. Bicycles & Tricycles is also a blast. Tho I kinda lost track of them circa Aubrey era....

Other good stuff Underworld, Future Sound Of London/FSOL (esp. Liforms, Lifeforms remix, From The Archives) Alex Smoke, Amon Tobin.

Also really enjoyin Chris Clark - Clarence Park these days :)

wht does that have to do with this thread?

Other good minimal electro bands? hence I was mentioning some? Hard to make the connection are you a bit thick Ludd?

sorry man. to be honest i've never really heard of any of those electro bands. i looked some up on wikipedia and youtube though and boy do i feel like a grade A putz now... sorry for shooting my mouth off earlier. my heads been in a messed up place since they deleted my BOC poetry thread... once again i'm really sorry guy.

wht does that have to do with this thread?

Other good minimal electro bands? hence I was mentioning some? Hard to make the connection are you a bit thick Ludd?

sorry man. to be honest i've never really heard of any of those electro bands. i looked some up on wikipedia and youtube though and boy do i feel like a grade A putz now... sorry for shooting my mouth off earlier. my heads been in a messed up place since they deleted my BOC poetry thread... once again i'm really sorry guy.

Yeah I really dug that BoC poetry thread, shame to see such a crative thread being trashed. Whoever decided on doing that clearly had their head up their ass.

yeah... no doubt joyrex or one of his BOC hating head up their ass NWO mods.

just checking out those electro bands you mentioned now.. really loving the Orbs... they remind me of early Whigfield vibes mixed with Deep Forest but with minimal electro synth keyboards. Little Floppy Clouds is amazing. like pink floyd crossed with Calvin Harris... OMG :emotawesomepm9:

thanks man

sorry to babble on a subject but i find it really interesting that people mention minimal as being dull and then like basic channel style dub techno stuff? i cant even listen to it, its like ambient with a simple weak kick and no groove whatsoever. anyway i feel this thread is done. im out.

Archived