IGNORED

Aaron Funk hearts Untilted

Guest maddestmax

Guest maddestmax

Venetian Snare's Best of Bleep:

Autechre - Untilted

(Warp)

"These are some wicked beats. These are way better than any beats you could ever think up. I know what you're thinking,"I am pretty fond of my beats, my beats are pretty good"...

That's great, but this is some other shit, this is true bonk bonk mariachi. What is happening? This is happening, and now this! Amazing!"

Venetian Snares

Sad review. No I'm not thinking in "beats" dimensions. After listening to a lot of good music outside the IDM world, Classical music that is, I can say "beats and effects" are only a small part of the truth. The poorer part of the truth. Every kiddie with a sequencer, host, a few vst machines and fx easily does beats. Wicked beats. Strange noises. But not every kiddie understands the inner logicical flow of MUSIC, counterpoint, development of a track, etc...

Sad review. No I'm not thinking in "beats" dimensions. After listening to a lot of good music outside the IDM world, Classical music that is, I can say "beats and effects" are only a small part of the truth. The poorer part of the truth. Every kiddie with a sequencer, host, a few vst machines and fx easily does beats. Wicked beats. Strange noises. But not every kiddie understands the inner logicical flow of MUSIC, counterpoint, development of a track, etc...

He's right though..

I dare you to say that to his face

:snares:

beats that are hard?

beats that are funky?

beats that get you hooked like a crack head junkie?

Yeah but Untilted is arguably very centered on the beats.

Also read the rules.

i heard the most of autechre's songs on discography.com and i'm must be saying that their are very composers with math beats and sick sounds with melodies. i was once playing in the bathroom whilst shaving and my wife didn't hear the music except as noise and told me not to hear in there so loud and then i realized "i must make these beats faster with my computer 8 bit." you can hear these results and many more results in my album "aushwitz is a frozen snow snow" at bleep.planetmu.watmm."

Guest Somethin

shut up.

do you even know what idm is?

autechre make amazing music but i don't think any of their stuff follows traditional counterpoint, development or whatever.. i find their melodies incredibly simple (not to say they aren't absolutely gorgeous) to the point where if i try to replicate them i fail simply because i can't make my stuff sparse enough!

I would disagree about the simple melodies. how about slip? that's more than your average "twinkle twinkle little star". I know it's in a pentatonic major key but I still have trouble figuring it out.

well it's still a pretty simple melody, it just repeats unevenly. when i say 'simple' i mean they don't tend to have very traditional 'song' structures, like what you'd hear in most other forms of music.

cool that he likes that dmx krew record, one of my favs from him too

could you post the rest of his picks i don't subscribe to the bleep newsletter

autechre make amazing music but i don't think any of their stuff follows traditional counterpoint, development or whatever.. i find their melodies incredibly simple (not to say they aren't absolutely gorgeous) to the point where if i try to replicate them i fail simply because i can't make my stuff sparse enough!

Of course Ae music also follows traditional schemes. Of course, tracks like Lentic Catachresis are a special case, but all in all it has turned out to be an advantage to know about theory. Honestly one day I got really pissed off by the IDM scene, because a lot of satellites out there were only about using software and creating strange noises. Was that it? I think so! The question is, how much percent of a track is idea and intuition, how much is just trying and fiddling with gear? If you compare with classical composers and compositions, there usually ideas are born in the first place.

Sometimes I think, if you have no ideas, you do tracks with no melody (which to me almost means "no basic idea"), but just beats and effects.

Ae works (works good!) because of their few, sometimes subtle melodic lines. Without them, Pen Expers, Gantz Graf etc. would be just boring.

true, but if you take away the superglitching of gantz graf or the amazingly compressed mushy drums of pen expers, you just have pretty standard ambient music really. i dunno, part of the reason i listen to recent autechre is for the awesome sound design. of course they have nice melodies too but it's not exactly prog rock levels of complexity! haha

Of course Ae music also follows traditional schemes. Of course, tracks like Lentic Catachresis are a special case, but all in all it has turned out to be an advantage to know about theory. Honestly one day I got really pissed off by the IDM scene, because a lot of satellites out there were only about using software and creating strange noises. Was that it? I think so! The question is, how much percent of a track is idea and intuition, how much is just trying and fiddling with gear? If you compare with classical composers and compositions, there usually ideas are born in the first place.

Sometimes I think, if you have no ideas, you do tracks with no melody (which to me almost means "no basic idea"), but just beats and effects.

Ae works (works good!) because of their few, sometimes subtle melodic lines. Without them, Pen Expers, Gantz Graf etc. would be just boring.

do you think no one else on this forum knows about music theory?

besides Shostakovich crushes Mr. Penguin/Old Sibelius annnnnny day. Your argument is invalid.

please tell me what kind of sweet musical cartwheels ae do on lentic catachresis. that song sounds like they left the room for the last 5 minutes.

Do you think no one else on this forum knows about music theory?

No. I didn't say that.

besides Shostakovich crushes Mr. Penguin/Old Sibelius annnnnny day. Your argument is invalid.

Who's Mr. Penguin? Bruckner? I don't want to weigh them up against each other. I cannot live without Tapiola as well as without Bruckner 4,5,7,8,9 or DSCH 1,4,5,7,8,10,11,15. :yeah:

@theSun I meant Lentic Catachresis as an exception, I wanted to exclude it from my argument. It's a bit über hard writing about music in english, I'm not good at it.

ah.

i'm just saying that as far as progression, it's not like they are doing anything mind breaking theory-wise. just that they are able to manipulate sounds in ways that make you think they are.

modey is absolutely correct that most ae synth lines are incredibly simple. take slip for example, the line really isn't that complex, it is just recorded with an extra beat (or 2, i can't remembr) and thrown onto the sequencer. it doesn't match up with the 4/4 line, but it is the same tempo. technically this is not hard to do, but there is always a difference between being able to play the line and actually making it fit within the song. take lcc for another example. that synth line is almost stupidly simple, yet i wouldn't change it a bit. when they used that line in the untilted sets i jizzed all over my dual monitors and couldn't stop for 3 days.

all from a line that i could probably teach a kid how to play on piano. that's the difference between theory and hippy shit creativity. you can never judge a song by its individual parts, sometimes a song is just fucking great you don't know exactly why.

please tell me what kind of sweet musical cartwheels ae do on lentic catachresis. that song sounds like they left the room for the last 5 minutes.

Often times alot of Ae tracks are more art pieces than music at certain parts. Lentic is a good example. The breakdown towards the end isn't really there to add musical value to the track if you ask me. It's there to give a sense of closure to the album. It's a very good strategy to have a glitchy album like confield totally break down into noise towards the end. Another great example of this is the end of Nuane, and you can't honestly say you don't enjoy that.

Archived