IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Just by reading this thread I can tell it's not legit...or at least I HOPE it's not. Anybody out there VERY happy about what you're hearing?

I am. From what I can tell so far (after only a couple listens) this album isn't about rhythm nor melody. It's about voicing. If you listen for only melody it's going to sound a bit aimless and meandering. If you listen for rhythm it'll sound simplistic. If you listen for voicing and counterpoint it is a very sophisticated album.

That's just what I've got from it so far. If it turns out to be a fake, I'll be glad to have downloaded it before it gets forgotten.

Ditto. You're so fucking on point with this "read" on the album. The rest of you guys are probably listening with a pre-determined filter/bias. Autechre is not going to release supercomplicated shit just to be supercomplicated. There's a larger purpose to this album, which I can say Untilted and Quaristice strayed away from achieving. Allow them the chance to prove there is a method to their madness.

It's really simple for me. It's either exciting, interesting and engaging or it isn't. Those two fakes I heard weren't. They were just nice and alright. I'm not keen on Quaristice, but I've always felt the songs are classic songs, and moreso when listening to it after those fakes. I still can't get into Perlence, but I still think it's a good song. There's still something about it that means I keep returning to it.

It's what Autechre mean when they say you begin to prefer their previous album before the new one: that however chaotic and complex and bewildering their music can be, it's always underpinned by good songwriting that reveals its genuine quality over time.

Now see on see has just come on. Is this thread a wind-up? People don't think it is more engaging than everything else on there (ilanders excepted)? See on see is Plaid-like, and is straightforward somewhat. What is there to say though other than it doesn't bore me and the rest do.

Everything except see on see and ilanders on this promo is bland mush. Every Autechre album has tracks that start with absolute surprising conviction in contrast to the one before it. With Quaristice, it was like they could go in any direction. I listen to Autechre for moments like Tankakern and WNSN.

There is a big difference between wanting to return to an album because it first intrigued you and still confounds you and not wanting to return to it simply because it bored you. This promo is making songs like Pule and Melve sound like classic songs. I've actually always liked both. I can't see why after 20 years they'll have suddenly lost the ability to write classic songs.

Though I know probably the least of all the people here, I know nothing of recording techniques and have been listening to them for just a few years. That's why I'm so surprised that people who do know a lot only seem to enjoy Autechre cosmetically.

Then again, I think you made it.

Listening to it for the 2nd time in earphones at the moment. If this is legit I'll attempt to swallow my fist and risk certain death, cos if it is legit I'll be too disappointed to care.

I think I prefer the first two fakes.

what did you think about untilted when it came out? i was one of the few that refused to believe it's the real deal. but it was.

so modey and I are the only people who have not heard anything yet?

probably. and it's not by choice that i haven't listened. i'm in perth with only iphone internet and slow as fuck bigpond to keep me wattming haha.

i'd like to say that i'm not gonna listen to this leak, but when i get home tonight it's gonna be very hard to resist...

Guest Renivatio

Well, I'm listening to it on relatively low volume in my sennheisers studying for an exam...daresay i'm starting to like this bettr!

Actually, moments of this are quite remarkable on headphones. I can't wait to hear my high quality files when they arrive!

Now I wish I hadn't spoilt the surprise by listening early. I did the same with Ultravisitor and it damaged the impact of that album for me.

There are still some bits on Oversteps that I find a bit odd or boring, like on Quaristice, but I think it's certainly atmospheric and seems strikingly constructed in places. It's definitely special... I love ilanders. At first I found the sci-fi/video gameish atmosphere a bit cheesy (though that description itself is far more cheesy), but now I've accepted it has that atmosphere and I love it. Brings me back to memories of FFVII and post apocalyptic science fiction films I used to enjoy.

Edited by Lianne

Well, I'm listening to it on relatively low volume in my sennheisers studying for an exam...daresay i'm starting to like this bettr!

is it good to listen to while doing homework?

Edited by modey

Guest Renivatio

is it good to listen to while doing homework?

eh, if it works, it works! :emotawesomepm9:

Yeah, after another listen on headphones, I've decided that this is absolutely awesome. I must have been in a foul mood the first time I listened to it, or maybe it was on too quietly. When I heard Simmm and Paralel Suns off Quaristice, I thought, 'wouldn't it be awesome getting a whole album exploring these kind of sounds and atmospheres?' And Oversteps is a bit like that. It isn't very upfront and it isn't brutally clever (like Untilted was in places, like on Ipacial Section) - but it is strikingly beautiful and very unusual. I tend to be negative more than positive on here, so I don't say this lightly: but this could end up being one of my favorite Ae albums.

I will have to delete the file now and wait for when we get it, otherwise I'll ruin release day (I like to try and keep it like how it used to be: exciting, and worth looking forward too.)

Why all the Quaristice hate? :(

i don't know, i may need to listen to on speakers because because headphone listening for me gave me the impression it had mediocre mixing/mastering

Edited by Awepittance

Well they did say they were leaning towards beatless (or less beat focused) and have rebuilt their studio setup...

Sounds like a throwback to pre Draft period. Definitely generative although to my ears I would describe some borderline chaos involved (not the math). It sounds a bit like they let loose the AI/midi-robots on this one.

I'm liking it. :emotawesomepm9:

But yeah, Sick Beatz for live/EP would be best case scenario.

'either this is fake or it is the worst AE album by a long shot' - text message from my friend who is a long time AE fan

I really think hearing this in its wav file format will change people's reaction.

maybe some people but definitely not mine. over time im sure i will get used to this sound but its not doing much for me now besides a few tracks

edit: the generative melodic aspect of this album in a lot of places sounds very cheesy and amateurish to me, like someone who just fired up KOAN and sent it to a hardware FM synth, pretty cool for one track but like 70% of the stuff on here sounds like this to me.

Edited by Awepittance

Guest lithgow

Okay... I'm going to go on the record here... If anyone thinks this m4a single track promo is even remotely fake, you havent been listening to Autechre. Ever. Period. It may not be what you want right now, but it will be what you need over time. If you're bitching today, chances are you bitched when Confield came out and Confield is now one of your all time "favorite" albums.

So, in closing, just shut the fuck up and wait for the wav files to be properly released before you give up on this.

PS - Quaristice still sucks

Wow, you're a proper moron, aren't you? Can't wait til everyone sees you've played them again, truly.

I think I prefer the first two fakes.

pretty shocking but i have to admit overall Altered Carbon's album is more fun to listen to so far

gl0tch said he smoked weed for the first time in 3 years before he listened to this, that might explain some of the over excitement. I respect your opinion i just thought i should mention this

Edited by Awepittance

Because it was practice and a fake real album.

i don't know, i may need to listen to on speakers because because headphone listening for me gave me the impression it had mediocre mixing/mastering

All the versions of it combined really entrance me. I don't know why, I just really like Quaristice. Initially, I hated it as it was the first full album by Ae that I heard, but as I listened more and more I'd just skip songs I didn't like, then I stopped finding songs I didn't like and now I do marathons through it, Versions, then the EPs and don't regret any of it. If I had to specifically pick out songs I like, I'd go with rale, IO, Phylopn, Plyphon, IO (Mons), Steels, Perlence range3, The PlclCpC, and so many others. @_@

Even if this leak is fake, which I really don't think it is, I still like it. I'm probably blinded by fanboyism though, since I entirely think it is Autechre and love their stuff.

Okay... I'm going to go on the record here... If anyone thinks this m4a single track promo is even remotely fake, you havent been listening to Autechre. Ever. Period. It may not be what you want right now, but it will be what you need over time. If you're bitching today, chances are you bitched when Confield came out and Confield is now one of your all time "favorite" albums.

So, in closing, just shut the fuck up and wait for the wav files to be properly released before you give up on this.

PS - Quaristice still sucks

Wow, you're a proper moron, aren't you? Can't wait til everyone sees you've played them again, truly.

How so? I'm telling you right now, this is real and I have nothing to do with this.

Because it was practice and a fake real album.

All the versions of it combined really entrance me. I don't know why, I just really like Quaristice. Initially, I hated it as it was the first full album by Ae that I heard, but as I listened more and more I'd just skip songs I didn't like, then I stopped finding songs I didn't like and now I do marathons through it, Versions, then the EPs and don't regret any of it. If I had to specifically pick out songs I like, I'd go with rale, IO, Phylopn, Plyphon, IO (Mons), Steels, Perlence range3, The PlclCpC, and so many others. @_@

Even if this leak is fake, which I really don't think it is, I still like it. I'm probably blinded by fanboyism though, since I entirely think it is Autechre and love their stuff.

Hey, you seem like a cool person.. so please dont take this personally, but if Quaristice was the first full album by Autechre you ever heard, its very difficult for me to take your opinion seriously.