IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

It's Kari Byron and she's perfect.

My DL must have been incomplete; it cuts off around what should be Krylon. I think I'm just going to hold off until the WAV comes, for realz this time. Some of this is immediately awesome (ilanders) and some of it is getting a little same-y, but that's a first impression based on half-listening to an incomplete DL while trying to do some work. And also I'm exhausted. So who the fuck knows.

right now the ending of O=0 reminds me an awful lot of m.bison's stage in sfIIww XD

certainly a favourite so far! as are known(1), qplay, yuop and d-sho qub... the latter sounds like a vision from the 80s on lsd morphing into ligeti's requiem/popol vuh. how anyone would not shit himself with joy over this release is beyond me.

EMOCRE!

question for those who have heard it: if this is basically a continuous piece of music, will the vinyl version ruin it in any way? for example a few of the transitions on confield and dial -> cap.iv on gantz graf didn't quite work as effectively on vinyl.

Guest Fat Roland

Well, if it's this rar file: http://fatroland.blogspot.com/2010/01/autechres-oversteps-fake-leak-scandal.html?showComment=1264804091751#c6688617936282410919

Then I think it's fake too. The track see on see is chopped off all of a sudden. Does not feel right. Or that might be on purpose....

Very bloody delayed reply because I've been bloody busy, but yeah, that's the bloody one I bloody meant.

Crikes. I've very flipping sweary today. Darn fudge baps. 'Scuse my language.

Edited by Fat Roland

question for those who have heard it: if this is basically a continuous piece of music, will the vinyl version ruin it in any way? for example a few of the transitions on confield and dial -> cap.iv on gantz graf didn't quite work as effectively on vinyl.

i don't think so. sure the album is very fluent, but tracks are still singular entities.

so for the people not jizzing out of their ears after listening to this, what are your thoughts?

see on see and ilanders is autechre. The rest is not. The rest is mind numbing tedious rubbish. Autechre are great song writers who write distinctive, engaging songs that I love to listen to again and again and again, and this applies to everything they've done, even the stuff I'm not fond of. I don't like Plaid. I like see on see. I'd like to hear it again. I also like ilanders. I'd like to hear it again too.

I am frankly amazed how quick people are to proclaim their love for anything Autechre-like.

Edited by Suffocate Peon

Just by reading this thread I can tell it's not legit...or at least I HOPE it's not. Anybody out there VERY happy about what you're hearing?

I am. From what I can tell so far (after only a couple listens) this album isn't about rhythm nor melody. It's about voicing. If you listen for only melody it's going to sound a bit aimless and meandering. If you listen for rhythm it'll sound simplistic. If you listen for voicing and counterpoint it is a very sophisticated album.

That's just what I've got from it so far. If it turns out to be a fake, I'll be glad to have downloaded it before it gets forgotten.

I really really don't like the melodies in this, besides the second track(at least so far, i'm 22 minutes in). I have a hard time believing this is autechre. This plinky shit is somewhat annoying, and just the choice of melodies, reminds me of my dissapointment with the campfire headphase. Although I was never a huge fan of older autechre records. Sounds like a movie soundtrack.

so for the people not jizzing out of their ears after listening to this, what are your thoughts?

see on see and ilanders is autechre. The rest is not. The rest is mind numbing tedious rubbish. Autechre are great song writers who write distinctive, engaging songs that I love to listen to again and again and again, and this applies to everything they've done, even the stuff I'm not fond of. I don't like Plaid. I like see on see. I'd like to hear it again. I also like ilanders. I'd like to hear it again too.

I am frankly amazed how quick people are to proclaim their love for anything Autechre-like.

Proven to be wrong, in:

5... 4... 3... 2...

Guest narkeworld

im going to save my excitement for the EP or the first leaked live show recording on their tour.

edit: unfortunately i think it's real, its just not that impressive or that good.

I think the cover artwork is better than the music. I hope it's fake. Some of the tracks sound like production with Reason. I was gonna buy this right away (release date) but not now.

Just by reading this thread I can tell it's not legit...or at least I HOPE it's not. Anybody out there VERY happy about what you're hearing?

I am. From what I can tell so far (after only a couple listens) this album isn't about rhythm nor melody. It's about voicing. If you listen for only melody it's going to sound a bit aimless and meandering. If you listen for rhythm it'll sound simplistic. If you listen for voicing and counterpoint it is a very sophisticated album.

That's just what I've got from it so far. If it turns out to be a fake, I'll be glad to have downloaded it before it gets forgotten.

Ditto. You're so fucking on point with this "read" on the album. The rest of you guys are probably listening with a pre-determined filter/bias. Autechre is not going to release supercomplicated shit just to be supercomplicated. There's a larger purpose to this album, which I can say Untilted and Quaristice strayed away from achieving. Allow them the chance to prove there is a method to their madness.

Guest narkeworld

i like the synth timbres quite a bit.

That's cause it's Reason, hehe. Just kidding or am I right or...;)