IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

>>anyone DLing (oversteps- must buy<< [please]

it would be a shame to have bands/labels close up shop.

please.

I have every intent of buying this.

(I've still yet to hear it but) based on all the negative comments and the surprise at how different it is from everyone's expectations or desires, it probably is totally legit.

I would be shocked if this masterpiece was fake. Download and enjoy it , I can't wait to listen to this in better quality

I DLed it last night, I'm just one of the few holding out. I just can't help but read all this. :biggrin:

Guys, i love you - but could you please take it easy on the REVERB?

Take it easy on the reverb? It sounds like you haven't heard much Ae

are any AE beat/percussion lovers finding this album a little bit lacking? even the beats on here leave a lot to be desired. melody centric people are going to love this, but i think the more textural/percussion people might not find it so satisfying

Yeah I agree, I was hoping for some brain-scrambling beat tracks like ipacial section, although I am overly satisfied by this album. Some of the melodic chunks go on a bit too long, it would have been nice if they had broken it up with a little more action, but still this is a nice change of pace for Ae. Come to think of it, they haven't really done a happy sounding album before but this one has a good amount of cheer.

It's what Autechre mean when they say you begin to prefer their previous album before the new one: that however chaotic and complex and bewildering their music can be, it's always underpinned by good songwriting that reveals its genuine quality over time.

So just to recap, the quality of Ae's material reveals itself over long time periods, and on that basis, you are able to confidently state that the music you heard 12 hours ago does not possess that quality.

Thanks for playing.

Guest phaelam

no shit dude

fuck off douche. most you of you cheap fucks dont buy shit

is that why the 1000 copies of that $60 lmt edition sold out within hours?

1000 copies is a drop of piss in the bucket.

...and to core fans on top of that.

im sure there are more than 1000 core fans. what do you say?

phaelam what kind of response were you expecting to what basically amounts to "hey thieves and poor people, buy an album"

dick

please.

On Jan 13th I dropped $78.18 for the vinyl and CD, how much have you spent?

Maybe I should mention the $62 I spent on Quaristice and the Quadrange EP. Oh - and physical, actual copies of EVERY SINGLE AUTECHRE RELEASE EVER apart from Cavity Job and Splitrmx. Christ, I bought the Draft promo cassette. And the mailorder EP.

You?

Edited by blos

Guest phaelam

please.

On Jan 13th I dropped $78.18 for the vinyl and CD, how much have you spent?

Maybe I should mention the $62 I spent on Quaristice and the Quadrange EP. Oh - and physical, actual copies of EVERY SINGLE AUTECHRE RELEASE EVER apart from Cavity Job and Splitrmx. Christ, I bought the Draft promo cassette. And the mailorder EP.

You?

ive actually got all the vinyl and cds of Ae, GESCOM and BoC, except for MASK100 and 200. im not shelling out $600 for MASK100. i almost did though. kinda glad i dropped out of that sale.

ive got some white labels as well.

and i wasnt saying dont cheap out until douchebag said "no shit". but you fucking have to admit there are a lot of dl-ers that arent dropping a single dime.

Guest ataraxy2

but you fucking have to admit there are a lot of dl-ers that arent dropping a single dime.

Oh definitely. But you also have got to look at the other side. If it weren't for DLing many people would never have discovered Autechre and thus gone onto buy their albums. For example - me.

Guest phaelam

but you fucking have to admit there are a lot of dl-ers that arent dropping a single dime.

Oh definitely. But you also have got to look at the other side. If it weren't for DLing many people would never have discovered Autechre and thus gone onto buy their albums. For example - me.

not to come off like a total music snob/asshole...but i preferred it that way. finding music buy hunting it down. going to clubs, hearing a track, then going on the search in the stores and magazines to find it. and actually scoring when you found it at your local import store.

now the net almost devalues the music. making it so accessible. sure its great that more people have found the music, but it has also taken away the uniqueness.

this of course is just how i feel about it.

i found Ae cuz i was at a local import store in vancouver looking for something 808state-ish [circa 1992]. this shop was particularly cool, cuz it was one of the only shops that let you listen before you buy. the dude in the shop put Fila Brazillia - old codes, new chaos, black dog - bytes, and Ae incunabula in my hands. he told me try these out.

and to me that was the all time score. never heard of autechre. i was tripping out in the shop.

and no one else for years really heard about them unless they were music fiends as well.

i enjoyed that.

the net has killed that vibe.

but, all that aside.

buy it.

ive actually got all the vinyl and cds of Ae, GESCOM and BoC, except for MASK100 and 200. im not shelling out $600 for MASK100. i almost did though. kinda glad i dropped out of that sale.

nerd

Guest ataraxy2

not to come off like a total music snob/asshole...but i preferred it that way.

I don't follow this. You'd rather a select few only be able to experience Autechre's music? It's not like Ae run the threat of entering the mainstream. I think the ability to download artists such as Autechre has done more in their favour than against. More people discover them, notice their lack of popularity, therefore support and buy their albums.

Guest phaelam

not to come off like a total music snob/asshole...but i preferred it that way.

I don't follow this. You'd rather a select few only be able to experience Autechre's music? It's not like Ae run the threat of entering the mainstream. I think the ability to download artists such as Autechre has done more in their favour than against. More people discover them, notice their lack of popularity, therefore support and buy their albums.

sure...but thats just my feeling on the issue.

i fucked up my dates....92 was actually 94. my mistake.

nerd

thanx much

not to come off like a total music snob/asshole...but i preferred it that way. finding music buy hunting it down. going to clubs, hearing a track, then going on the search in the stores and magazines to find it. and actually scoring when you found it at your local import store.

now the net almost devalues the music. making it so accessible. sure its great that more people have found the music, but it has also taken away the uniqueness.

this of course is just how i feel about it.

I really have to disagree with some of the prospects there. Being a kid, more so, when I first found Autechre (I was 15), there was absolutely no way I could go to a club and simply just drop money as a bet on music, which I actually did when I bought Quaristice back in 2008. It's not exactly easy in the suburbs to just walk outside as a minor, go to a club, listen to stuff, find out who it is, buy it at a store not near you (Borders is the closest shop with music), and yeah. So instead, I found them through Youtube videos, dug it, downloaded a few tracks from LP5 and Confield and Chiastic Slide, liked it more, bought an album, and now whenever I see an album of theirs that I can get my hands on at the music store in downtown Portland I shop at, I buy it. So far I've accumulated, on CD, Quaristice, Confield, EP7, Peel Sessions 1 & 2, Draft 7.30, and I think one other. I have every intent to buy Oversteps and the last time I was at that shop I asked if I could preorder it and they didn't even have a number for it yet. So cheers to Oversteps being blasted in my dad's ears at some point.