IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

yeah I heard the first two songs and thought it was legit, but what did throw me off was the amount of melody I was hearing as the album went, it seemed like too much to really be AE for some reason.

I see this as kind of an end of an era album for them, like they now have progressed over all 9 numerical single digit steps, and now can kind of break free of this insane obsession with pushing sound, and just make something really pleasant. some will perhaps see it as them messing around or not really pushing themselves, but I think doing something like this could be (depending on ones perspective) be a more challenging route, cause their no longer depending on the technique to impress you, the biggest fireworks has just gone off essentially, and now its time to relax and enjoy

i'm sure they'll ramp up again in coming years and give us more experimental beat heavy stuff

This

I feel sorry for fans of early ae who maybe getting excited at the promise of a return to Amber style brooding ambience and 4-bar melodies. The melodies are still very much post-Confield style mathmatical madness with very little in way of hooks or riffs.

and This

(and great review by Greg Reason!)

Edited by gl0tch

Guest Greg Reason

You received promo for Untilted and Quaristice you say. That leads me to think you will receive promo for Oversteps too? Right? RIGHT? :)

haha yeah hopefully so, we haven't received it yet though!

your enthusiasm glotch does have me more confused lol

I dont see why? I wanted Autechre to do something unexpected and thats what we got. They dont have to be abrasive and super complex to get their point across always. I'm fine with that. For me, they've always presented two paths upon listening... either awe at the mindfuck beat slaying or a deep-rooted nostalgic, yet alien sense of haunting at their melodies. I got the later with this release. I didnt quite get either with Quaristice. Take Confield's VI Scose Poise. This album is a natural progression of what we got there. Same goes for Fermium, then Simm. Perhaps those sounds are more bright and sharp, but they are also more "holographic" or 3D in how they cut through the listening space.

I'm enthusiastic because the album deserves to be. If it was just another beat slaying album, I'd be sitting here saying, "..Albeit good, its the same. Where's the melodies?"

Take Confield's VI Scose Poise.

I will never forget listening to that back in 2000 or 01 or whenever it leaked, it unfolded like a flower. I sullied myself with Napster just to get Confield, or maybe for Kid A, can't recall, trashed it not long after.

Yeesh, leak nostalgia.

You received promo for Untilted and Quaristice you say. That leads me to think you will receive promo for Oversteps too? Right? RIGHT? :)

So you haven't received the promo but a, to me obscure, German radio channel did receive the promo?! Isn't that odd? If you think about it.. why does this German radio channel get the authority to play the VERY FIRST tracks over say for example Mary Anne Hobs? I reckon more people are familiar with Mary Anne Hobs.. it would attract a broader range of people... I for one hadn't heard of Radio FRITZ before...... and German > English, guess not?!

I reckon promo cd's are sent out in batch? Why would they delay your promo disc? (for which magazine do you write?)

Edited by Fredd-E

I've been listening to this since yesterday, and it seems pretty legit to me.

A lot of their signature sounds, melodies...

The only complain I would have is I was still expecting some tracks from the LA live quaristice tour to appear here somewhere, and there isn"t any.

I can't wait to listen to this in a proper quality version, and separated tracks.

Come on bleep, it's over now, just sell us the mp3, even if I'll get them with my special edition, I'm still willing to buy them.

I dont see why? I wanted Autechre to do something unexpected and thats what we got. They dont have to be abrasive and super complex to get their point across always. I'm fine with that. For me, they've always presented two paths upon listening... either awe at the mindfuck beat slaying or a deep-rooted nostalgic, yet alien sense of haunting at their melodies. I got the later with this release. I didnt quite get either with Quaristice. Take Confield's VI Scose Poise. This album is a natural progression of what we got there. Same goes for Fermium, then Simm. Perhaps those sounds are more bright and sharp, but they are also more "holographic" or 3D in how they cut through the listening space.

I'm enthusiastic because the album deserves to be. If it was just another beat slaying album, I'd be sitting here saying, "..Albeit good, its the same. Where's the melodies?"

Right - there's something very magic in the atmosphere here. It's a very special release, even without the beat screwery (though there ARE some sick beats in here, especially in how they don't have obviously drum-kit-like sounds, like Untilted or Quaristice did, but rather percussive swells and splats, as in a track like Reniform Puls.)

I'm normally whine a lot when it comes to new "IDM" releases (because I have found many of them so disappointing - especially Squarepusher's latest excrement.) As depressing as it is to admit it, I would be glad to join in the chorus of dislike on this album. But I can't. There's just something so emotional and alive about it - without stepping into predictability and cheese. Like I said before, when I heard Simmm off Quaristice, I thought it'd be wonderful to have a whole album exploring those deranged melodic sounds and odd sci-fi atmospherics. And that's what Oversteps is, and then some.

Does anyone else here love it? I really appreciated that longer, positive review posted a few pages back. I'd be great to hear someone wax lyrical about how great it is. ;)

Edited by Lianne

I agree, and after hearing the first 20 minutes or so, I had to stop in excitement cause I knew it was legit. Then I checked watmm and saw all these doubts, and at first thought it was hilarious, but then I went and finished it, and some of the tracks do feel a little bizarre for me to say with confidence it is ae. And with the weirdness of this being one long track and one song playing twice, idk... its an odd situation to anticipate something, and then receive something that could or could not be it, to feel good about it though, but still unsure if its the real deal

Guest Greg Reason

So you haven't received the promo but a, to me obscure, German radio channel did receive the promo?! Isn't that odd? If you think about it.. why does this German radio channel get the authority to play the VERY FIRST tracks over say for example Mary Anne Hobs? I reckon more people are familiar with Mary Anne Hobs.. it would attract a broader range of people... I for one hadn't heard of Radio FRITZ before...... and German > English, guess not?!

I reckon promo cd's are sent out in batch? Why would they delay your promo disc? (for which magazine do you write?)

I write for Tsunami magazine ( http://www.tsunamimag.com )... We're in Australia so I don't imagine we're top priority. Plus down here Warp is distributed through a third party, Inertia, who have to take shipment of the promos and then mail them out to us.

the radio is not obscure and the djshow is related to de:bug the biggest German experimental music magazine: http://de-bug.de/

Edited by o00o

I agree, and after hearing the first 20 minutes or so, I had to stop in excitement cause I knew it was legit. Then I checked watmm and saw all these doubts, and at first thought it was hilarious, but then I went and finished it, and some of the tracks do feel a little bizarre for me to say with confidence it is ae. And with the weirdness of this being one long track and one song playing twice, idk... its an odd situation to anticipate something, and then receive something that could or could not be it, to feel good about it though, but still unsure if its the real deal

NO d00Dzor it's defo real im hardcore ae og I should know

the radio is not obscure and the djshow is related to de:bug the biggest German experimental music magazine: http://de-bug.de/

Fair and valid point, but still it's odd because it's German. It's not that I dislike the germans, but wouldn't it be more logical if they had chosen a more international/universal source? Something English for starters?!

Fair and valid point, but still it's odd because it's German. It's not that I dislike the germans, but wouldn't it be more logical if they had chosen a more international/universal source? Something English for starters?!

I looked it up again and the radio show is even a combo show of the two big German scene magazines Groove and de:bug so its really not something unimportant but sure you are right its strange in a way to not use a English one

but maybe they don't care so much who plays it first as long as its a big one

what makes me wonder that there was no real big announcement about this at all they even delayed it to a show a week later more or less randomly

about the leak:

I could imagine they had it in the German radio show and someone did some kind of direct recording out of the closed maybe even digital system at the radio station via a portable recording device and some audio jack cable (iphone maybe or something better which would explain the apple format and clipping)

they don't use CDs at radio stations often do they? its all on hard-drive

Edited by o00o

maybe the person recording the leak was unable to get direct access to the cd itself but was able to record the output

maybe they had some kind of listening session and the person responsible for the promotional cd was not giving it away so this would be the best way to do it and would also explain the clipping and double tracks

Guest Balance

I never dared dream Oversteps could be this good after disliking Quaristice.

I'll have to stop listening soon in case I wear it out before the CD comes out.

Shimmering beauty.

Guest Greg Reason

Still blows me away that people can dislike Quaristice..... I could understand people not gettin into this one but but Quaristice?!? Bloody incredible album!

Still blows me away that people can dislike Quaristice..... I could understand people not gettin into this one but but Quaristice?!? Bloody incredible album!

i agree. especially after untilted. (fermium?? wtf?)

my girlfriend hates Quaristice too

she said I would want to convert her into Autechre after listening to it very often in the last time and I should stop it lol