IGNORED

you know how people say "if x i hate you" or whatever

Guest tht tne

like, they would say "if you don't like aphex twin we can't be friends" or something along those lines

beyond the obvious (e.g., crimes) what could someone do that would turn you off of them for all eternity

particularly if it's something that relates to art like if someone listens only to country & western music

i will go on and admit that if someone thinks electronic music equals tiesto or something else pedestrian,

then that person and i will not have much of a future together... i don't care if i'm elitist those people sux

someone i've known for 10 years suddenly revealed that he is fully behind the bnp and has been voting for them for the last 5 years. his parents are italian immigrants. i won't be calling him any time soon.

that is a very close minded way of thinking

actually it's a mature way of thinking because only mature people have preferences based upon rationality

what's closed-minded is being a follower all your life and never having an inkling of what you could truly be

lol

do you actually believe in that crap?

mature way of thinking? wasn't it already scientifically proven that during puberty the brain outgrows this black-white thinking you display into a more mature way of thinking (call it rational if you want) where there are actually "grays", so to speak?

lol

mature way of thinking? wasn't it already scientifically proven that during puberty the brain outgrows this black-white thinking you display into a more mature way of thinking (call it rational if you want) where there are actually "grays", so to speak?

blah blah blah i stopped reading after you called my idea "crap..." way to debate

Guest Dirty Protest

someone i've known for 10 years suddenly revealed that he is fully behind the bnp and has been voting for them for the last 5 years. his parents are italian immigrants. i won't be calling him any time soon.

^^

was just about to reply something similar, though im guessing there would be a personality class sometime before then.

like, they would say "if you don't like aphex twin we can't be friends" or something along those lines

then they're a fucking fool of the very highest order

and i have no interest in knowing them whatsoever

then they're a fucking fool of the very highest order

and i have no interest in knowing them whatsoever

it's funny you say that because it seems like someone here made a similar statement to the one in the op

Guest Fishtank

actually it's a mature way of thinking because only mature people have preferences based upon rationality

what's closed-minded is being a follower all your life and never having an inkling of what you could truly be

I was more referring to the first bit of your comment about

"if you don't like aphex twin we can't be friends"

I was more referring to the first bit of your comment about

"if you don't like aphex twin we can't be friends"

i'm sorry several of you are taking exception to that it was really only just kind of a far-fetched example

I still can't work out what the question is, it sounds like the mad irish guy on crack I had the misfortune of meeting on Friday...

i'm really sorry about that pete

but the tattoo on my penis really is much more detailed when i'm erect

lol

blah blah blah i stopped reading after you called my idea "crap..." way to debate

calling it crap was the only sensible thing to do. there's no need to doubt my debating abilities. it's like applying weed control: subtle approaches don't work. you have to plough thoroughly to get rid of it.

lol

calling it crap was the only sensible thing to do. there's no need to doubt my debating abilities. it's like applying weed control: subtle approaches don't work. you have to plough thoroughly to get rid of it.

defend your choice if you must i still think you're being an asshole

perhaps a more serious answer is if someone is continually closed to new ideas i lose interest.

but that's more because they're usually dull, boring, one-dimensional people rather than because they're closed to new ideas.

although those two things usually come hand-in-hand.

to lose interest in somebody purely because of taste in a single thing would be stupid.

you could meet someone who only listens to kenny g but has a vast interest in and understanding of rothko or pollock.

you could meet someone who loves autechre but only likes paintings of dogs playing poker.

i sit next to a dude at work who is an A+ coder, but also a massive microsoft fanboy and writes inefficient code because he uses microsoft's silverlight -> WPF -> .NET -> html -> gazillion layers of abstraction. whilst youtube are rolling out a HTML5 flash-free interface, he just wrote a youtube player in silverlight :facepalm:

as a corollary to the OP, if i ask you what music you like, probably the worst thing you can say is 'oh, anything'.

paradoxically if you reach musical zen, that would also be your answer. but nobody has reached musical zen.

Guest Fishtank

probably the worst thing you can say is 'oh, anything'.

I hate that answer, I like to challenge it by saying 'well than I bet I could play something you won't like'

usually the people who say that mean 'Pop music'

probably the worst thing you can say is 'oh, anything'.

I hate that answer, I like to challenge it by saying 'well than I bet I could play something you won't like'

usually the people who say that mean 'Pop music'

exactly

Guest Masonic Boom

perhaps a more serious answer is if someone is continually closed to new ideas i lose interest.

but that's more because they're usually dull, boring, one-dimensional people rather than because they're closed to new ideas.

although those two things usually come hand-in-hand.

to lose interest in somebody purely because of taste in a single thing would be stupid.

you could meet someone who only listens to kenny g but has a vast interest in and understanding of rothko or pollock.

you could meet someone who loves autechre but only likes paintings of dogs playing poker.

^^^^^^^^^^this is very, very OTM for me.

Thinking "Oh, I can only be friends with people whose tastes exactly match mine" is a stage of late adolescence that hopefully one will grow out of. I find that I get along better with people who are *obsessive* but it doesn't really matter what it is that they are obsessed with. (So long as it's not sport, but that's mine own personal prejudice.)

Taste-based compatibility means very little. One of my closest friends, we move in the same music scene but seem almost to like it for completely different reasons. I can turn to her on the night bus home after a gig and say "I loved that - you must have hated it!" and vice versa and we'll laugh and have a good debate about it, which makes for an entertaining busride.

To answer the OP, my personal "X" would actually be a form of behaviour rather than a taste at all. Where X = responding to internet posts with snideness, a single word, a facepalm.jpg etc. instead of either engaging or ignoring. To me, this just speaks of a lazy mind and a pose of ironic detachment which is the opposite of everything I hold dear.

lol

get_a_brain_morans.jpg

Archived