Guest Greg Reason

Time Machines is good, but for someone who finds ambient not their cup of tea, i think its probably the worst place to start. Coil has a lot of other ambient-ish albums with a lot more going on than slowly evolving tones (which is essentially what time machines is, just very well done and soothing slowly evolving tones).

I would personally recommend Worship the Glitch, 1000 lights in a darkened room, and even the How To Destroy Angels Cd release (not the original vinyl, the cd is a remixed totally different album)

Time Machines is good, but for someone who finds ambient not their cup of tea, i think its probably the worst place to start. Coil has a lot of other ambient-ish albums with a lot more going on than slowly evolving tones (which is essentially what time machines is, just very well done and soothing slowly evolving tones).

I would personally recommend Worship the Glitch, 1000 lights in a darkened room, and even the How To Destroy Angels Cd release (not the original vinyl, the cd is a remixed totally different album)

I don't remember what How to Destroy Angels sounds like but yes, those other two are a really great introduction to Coil.

Thanks Awepittance! How to Destroy Angels (Remixes and Re-Recordings)'ll b the 1st i've trying 2 find... i love this title :spiteful:

But Worship the Glitch and 1000 lights in a darkened room r from Coil? I don't find them in their discography...

U must know that i don't know anymore this band... Just know Moons Milk (In Four Phases).

Worship the Glitch is by ELpH. The other by Black Light District. Which are aliases of Coil.

Guest Roksen Creek

Coil are so awesome. A good place to start actually is their compilation "The Golden Hare with a Voice of Silver". It has a good mix of their stuff.

"Love's Secret Domain" also a good starter, I know that album had a big impact on Autechre.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Z_B_Z

Danny Hyde posted this a week or so ago to the Coil Facebook group.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwGNCbvvr3s

this is great. id like to hear full length tracks. can i get a link to that group/post?

anyone see this? more time machines. from the threshold house site-

Dear Friends of Unkle Sleazy and Threshold House,

Initial archiving of all Peter’s Work has now been completed. Discussions are underway with various internationally respected institutions to locate the most appropriate place to curate Peter’s unique artistic legacy for posterity and safekeeping for future generations.

During the course of archiving, the finished version of ‘TM2: the legacy’ was found. This was Peter’s ultimate project. Many months of research led to the finding that in the current market a suitable ‘receptacle’ for these sonic experiences does not exist, so a bespoke vehicle is being designed and manufactured. This will be a unique artefact. Due to the complicated nature of the project, no release date is currently scheduled. It is hoped to be completed before the present Mayan Calendar runs out later this year, and will be available exclusively via State51.

We have been inundated with many kind and generous offers to re-issue Coil material. After much careful consideration, it’s been agreed by the remaining members of Coil who wish to be involved, that they will nurture and develop this project themselves. This is entirely in keeping with the DIY artistic ethos that Peter and Jhonn maintained since Coil’s disappointing dealings with record labels.

More details of exactly what form such official re-issues will take will be posted on the TH site as and when they manifest and will be available exclusively via the TH site. Grateful thanks for their enthusiasm, encouragement and opinions are given to all who have corresponded in these matters.

also, just discovered this. probably some of the best threshold housboys choir material ive heard

http://soundcloud.com/brainwashedcom/threshold-houseboys-choir-cap-rot-taxi

Edited by Z_B_Z

Guest RadarJammer
To accompany the 2001 re-releases of their first 3 albums, Coil decided to also release a vinyl box set edition which would include a 12" of remixes by Autechre and Surgeon.

The remixes were completed and approved by Coil, but the project stayed on the shelf.

Sadly since then both John Balance and Peter Christopherson have both died and it's with the greatest respect to their memories that I make this remix publicly available.

Has anyone heard or heard of these Autechre remixes?

Dear Friends of Unkle Sleazy and Threshold House,

Initial archiving of all Peter’s Work has now been completed. Discussions are underway with various internationally respected institutions to locate the most appropriate place to curate Peter’s unique artistic legacy for posterity and safekeeping for future generations.

During the course of archiving, the finished version of ‘TM2: the legacy’ was found. This was Peter’s ultimate project. Many months of research led to the finding that in the current market a suitable ‘receptacle’ for these sonic experiences does not exist, so a bespoke vehicle is being designed and manufactured. This will be a unique artefact. Due to the complicated nature of the project, no release date is currently scheduled. It is hoped to be completed before the present Mayan Calendar runs out later this year, and will be available exclusively via State51.

We have been inundated with many kind and generous offers to re-issue Coil material. After much careful consideration, it’s been agreed by the remaining members of Coil who wish to be involved, that they will nurture and develop this project themselves. This is entirely in keeping with the DIY artistic ethos that Peter and Jhonn maintained since Coil’s disappointing dealings with record labels.

More details of exactly what form such official re-issues will take will be posted on the TH site as and when they manifest and will be available exclusively via the TH site. Grateful thanks for their enthusiasm, encouragement and opinions are given to all who have corresponded in these matters.

holy shit, a sequel to time machines is basically my most desired coil... thing. this is amazing news.

To accompany the 2001 re-releases of their first 3 albums, Coil decided to also release a vinyl box set edition which would include a 12" of remixes by Autechre and Surgeon.

The remixes were completed and approved by Coil, but the project stayed on the shelf.

Sadly since then both John Balance and Peter Christopherson have both died and it's with the greatest respect to their memories that I make this remix publicly available.

Has anyone heard or heard of these Autechre remixes?

no. the only 'remix' we have is a live ae broadcast which had dark river overlaid with pretty standard autechrey drum patterns. legend has it there was a much more complete remix that got shelved.

Edited by kaini

Guest Z_B_Z

decided to 'make' these in final cut express since they seem to be absent on youtube.

the horse rotorvator version of "first five minutes after death" combined with the live video that was used when performing said track (taken from the reconstruction kit). the live version was never as powerful for me, but the live projection with the album track seems really fucking powerful -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVljKISj-MY&list=UUGnHhnK1S0u_E8nEeG7TIRg&index=2&feature=plcp

conversely, i kind of like the live version of "ostia" better. here it is with the live projections -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVHesXdWkJg&feature=relmfu

Edited by Z_B_Z

no. the only 'remix' we have is a live ae broadcast which had dark river overlaid with pretty standard autechrey drum patterns. legend has it there was a much more complete remix that got shelved.

you are forgetting their awesome glitchy IDM remix of Panic, which may or may have not been on this 12". It's actually really cool and just sounds like an original AE track like a lot of their remixes.

note to self: read thread before posting

Edited by Awepittance

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is this legit? http://www.theunhear...nails-uncoiled/

a bunch of apparently unreleased coil remixes of NIN for further down the spiral and Fixed. Havent had a chance to listen yet but was wondering what coil fans on the forum thought

Edited by Awepittance

Guest RadarJammer

some parts really suck and some parts are amazing, its clear why they didn't make the cut but definitely sounds like coil remixes and its really cool to hear rough mixes like this

Is this legit? http://www.theunhear...nails-uncoiled/

a bunch of apparently unreleased coil remixes of NIN for further down the spiral and Fixed. Havent had a chance to listen yet but was wondering what coil fans on the forum thought

WOOOOW!!! Thanks! i'll search them & hope 2 find them in lossless... i can't use pirate bay, 'cause hadopi...