IGNORED

louis ck

gritbox

that episode is a masterpiece.

it took me about 40 minutes to watch it completely as i was pausing the playback constantly because i was laughing hysterically and didn't want to miss any minute of it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Come on, God" was hilarious. Using the idea of saving your virginity for marriage as masturbation fodder is comic gold! Also incredibly catholic.

I thought "Eddie" was really good as well. Louie has this big self-righteous speech and his friend just laughs it off.

This show has been really original and really great. I think the Blueberries scene has been my favourite so far.

Guest disparaissant

a bunch of really hardcore feminists i know got completely trolled by that. they were like THATS SICK THATS RAPE CULTURE AT ITS WORST

apparently they missed the FX logo

"Come on, God" was hilarious. Using the idea of saving your virginity for marriage as masturbation fodder is comic gold! Also incredibly catholic.

I thought "Eddie" was really good as well. Louie has this big self-righteous speech and his friend just laughs it off.

This show has been really original and really great. I think the Blueberries scene has been my favourite so far.

i feel like i must have missed an entire episode, the newest one i saw was with his friend Eddie, did i fall asleep in the middle?

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Come On God and Eddie aired back to back last night dude, you probably just watched and episode 09 (Eddie) and had no reason to think you were missing the previous episode.

Guest enxyme

I ran into him at Gimmie Gimmie Records in NYC... He was asking the record store guy about piano lessons for his son?... Felt lame to try to get a pic of him...

Come On God and Eddie aired back to back last night dude, you probably just watched and episode 09 (Eddie) and had no reason to think you were missing the previous episode.

Oh, WTF?!!?! I got home late and only saw the Eddie one too. Was there not a new Wilfred last night?

Guest underscore

Oh, WTF?!!?! I got home late and only saw the Eddie one too. Was there not a new Wilfred last night?

there was a new wilfred, louie was played at 10:30 and 11:00

Yeah for some reason Wilfred was not on last week.

Maybe Wilfred was totally scandalous and was pulled from rotation.

Wilfred has already been signed on for a second season :sup:

there was a new wilfred, louie was played at 10:30 and 11:00

Word man, I'll check OnDemand tonight to get caught up!

• 2 weeks later...

was anybody else weirded out by the feel-good military /country music soundtrack laced episode last night? I was honestly shocked that he took up 60 minutes of my time with such a forced positive uplifting episode about the US military.

Guest Pennywise

He actually did gigs in iraq and Afghanistan for the troops. I think it just touched him enough to want to make an episode about it, It was obviously a good experience, he said they were his favourite gigs in a interview.

my feeling was that he was stoked on the people in the middle east, soldiers or not. not the military.

but i felt the same thing, it was kind of creepy and strange coming from what i know about louis ck.

Guest Pennywise

my feeling was that he was stoked on the people in the middle east, soldiers or not. not the military.

but i felt the same thing, it was kind of creepy and strange coming from what i know about louis ck.

i dont know much about the politics on watmm, but if there is anyone on here who is your nemesis, they should have a childs avatar (from the thing). yeh I've had a couple o' beers

was anybody else weirded out by the feel-good military /country music soundtrack laced episode last night? I was honestly shocked that he took up 60 minutes of my time with such a forced positive uplifting episode about the US military.

I basically understand this episode as part of the current American left's strong effort to make it absolutely clear that they are not demonizing the soldiers of Iraq and Afghanistan, the way the soldiers of Vietnam were demonized.

Now you're going to jump all over me for saying that so let me make two clarifications. First, when I say "left" I'm referring to people like Stewart and Colbert, who, on the general political scale, are centrists. I'm calling them "the left" because that's how they are understood in mainstream political discourse, and because they are on the far left end of the American mainstream. Left and right are relative terms after all. Secondly, I think the extent to which to the Vietnam vets were demonized has been hugely exaggerated by the right. I know some soldiers' funerals were protested by hippies, but the "support the troops" rhetoric is played up way more than it needs to me.

So basically I understand the episode like this. The "left" in American politics are constantly on the defensive because they are made to look like they don't "support the troops". Stewart and Colbert have made a very strong effort to show that they do not demonize the individual soldiers, but that they can oppose the wars nonetheless. Colbert had that big stunt where he went to Iraq, and then he raised loads and loads of money for the vets. Now he is more immune to accusations that he is a anti-military hippy, and it adds legitimacy to his opposition to America's continued presence in the middle east.

So I think this Louie episode was a way of humanizing the soldiers, in order to fight the slander against his general political ideology. I don't think he was trying to justify the current military operations. I think he was trying to show that he has a sympathetic view of the soldiers.

Also, he also started the episode with the joke about the lion, who thinks everyone is always screaming. I suspect that was a political message. We think that the middle east hates us, but we don't understand that our own actions have a lot to do with that.

All that said, I didn't really like this episode. I thought the duckling plot was sappy, and not terribly funny. The cheerleader judging him for being unchristian was a lol though.

i dont know much about the politics on watmm, but if there is anyone on here who is your nemesis, they should have a childs avatar (from the thing). yeh I've had a couple o' beers

:wtf:

So I think this Louie episode was a way of humanizing the soldiers, in order to fight the slander against his general political ideology. I don't think he was trying to justify the current military operations. I think he was trying to show that he has a sympathetic view of the soldiers.

i totally agree, although i think that in trying to do what he did he failed on every level. The best 'humanizing' of soldiers i've seen are tv shows and movies that portray the way soldiers act realistically like Generation Kill, you could argue that the truth is 'offensive' or as Colbert says 'reality has a heavy liberal bias' but that's the way it actually is. By sanitizing and making the soldiers seem like they have absolutely no personality of any kind i think was a bad move, at least share some vulgar dick stories with the soldiers (because that would be more like the Louie i was expecting) The closest he got was doing standup about his dick while the soldiers laughed, you never saw a single exchange between Louie and a soldier that was not overtly superficial

the fact that "the current American left's strong effort to make it absolutely clear that they are not demonizing the soldiers of Iraq and Afghanistan" is a premise that needs to be expressed in this country is saddening. By criticizing wars or actions of our US military you aren't criticizing the individuals themselves, people who are critical thinkers can differentiate the two. It's the ignorant and simple minded populace of America who can't... so why try to appeal to them or make platitudes to those people who are for the most part extremely ignorant (the same people who equate liberalism with communism). This whole game of trying to 'depoliticize' things to make them easier to digest for the masses is absolutely absurd. By depoliticizing things you are actually removing key facts and facets that make it what it is.

if the USO tour episode was only 30 minutes i would have been able to forgive it easier, the fact that this was his first 60 minute long epic episode showed me that he cared a lot about it. IT almost makes it worse for me because although i do think Louie is a genius on many levels, sometimes left to his own devices too much (without the input of other writers, etc) it seems like it has the potential to sag under it's own weight and sappiness.

edit: i do think we've reached an era in our country though where you would never see a mainstream movie come out of hollywood again like Platoon or Full MEtal Jacket, it's become totally taboo to actually portray war and american soldiers behavior even semi realistically.

Archived