IGNORED

Brian Eno - Small Craft on a Milk Sea

Guest extherium

£60 to get this on vinyl? Oh, it's in fancy packaging?

Warp are taking the piss.

They had better not pull these shenanigans when the next releases come out by their major artists.

It's not just the money that's an issue for me, either. I bought Oversteps, and I really can't be arsed getting it off the shelf because all the packaging makes it too much of a chore to play. It takes up too much space on my shelves too. You can buy sealed copies for £10 less than the list price on discogs, and I see plenty of unsold copies in shops, so I'm guessing that it didn't do amazingly well.

I would have bought the Eno album if it had been £18 and in a well-made, regular cover. I really hope that this Eno album and Oversteps aren't setting a precedent for future Warp releases.

I am sure it does. be prepared for signed boc with paintings for $500

Oh and I'm sure some WATMMers here would kill to get it :emotawesomepm9:

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The music WILL come, people. And lol at complaining about the price of the high end box. It's an original piece of art for god's sake.

well actually, if i read correctly, it's just a silkscreen printing. And by "one-off" they probably mean that he'll change the angle of the printing on the page by a tiny fraction, and make a cock-up on it somewhere. There you go - instant "one-off" piece of art.

Guest Greg Reason

Those shows were fantastic I must say. I saw all three of them at the Opera House, came in at around five hours of music. Karl Hyde was wonderful, had a table full of electronic goodies going into a mixer, and The Necks did better than I've ever heard from them before.

Guest Calx Sherbet

The music WILL come, people. And lol at complaining about the price of the high end box. It's an original piece of art for god's sake.

well actually, if i read correctly, it's just a silkscreen printing. And by "one-off" they probably mean that he'll change the angle of the printing on the page by a tiny fraction, and make a cock-up on it somewhere. There you go - instant "one-off" piece of art.

if one would want to assume the most pessimistic stance, than yes

if one would want to assume the most pessimistic stance, than yes

i would say, with 80% certainty that will be exactly the case.

why the fuck would a record label start selling "pieces of art on paper" as the main selling point for the music, which should be their primary business concern?

i really doubt that the "one-off" piece of art will be anything more than what i have already said.

on a side note, i see that Bleep still has stock of these. i guess there isn't the rush that was expected! :trashbear:

i have no issues with warp selling expensive special packaged albums, the problem that i've brought up here before is that Warp is known for exaggerating the limited run number. the first time i experienced this personally was with the Quaristice special edition. I rushed to buy my copy direct from warp and then i come to find out later they were being sold all over the place, clearly not as scarce or limited as they implied they were.

the problem that i've brought up here before is that Warp is known for exaggerating the limited run number. the first time i experienced this personally was with the Quaristice special edition. I rushed to buy my copy direct from warp and then i come to find out later they were being sold all over the place, clearly not as scarce or limited as they implied they were.

trashbear: i believe you but do you have any more information regarding this? sad to hear.

lol - you don't fuck about oscillik - i respect that

just rollerbladed in to say that I'm getting paid $400 for a dj gig next month, and I will be using the proceeds to buy a new bike.

LOL

Does it bother anyone that they are promoting all this limited edition nonsense with screen shots of artwork and packaging and talk of Eno signed prints and etched copper plates and yet, there is nowhere on the internet where one can listen to even the tiniest sample of the music?

yes that bothers me, too. and obviously i won't be paying for a Yahweh damned thing til i hear the music.

"common sense, simple common sense".

extremely odd that there is/was no audio samples. strange days indeed.

£60 to get this on vinyl? Oh, it's in fancy packaging?

Warp are taking the piss.

i'd like to read/hear someone from Warp justify why it's so expensive and why people should pay such a steep price for it.... please.

cos "but it's Brian Eno, dude!", is pure bullshit.

These are still for sale!? I guess that specific sale time thing was a ploy to scare people on the fence into buying these, without giving the purchase as much thought. Who wants to take bets on how long these will be available?

I'm also unhappy with the warp trend to release not very limited, but ultra expensive, packages (well, 250 is limited, but not so much considering the asking price); I like to purchase albums on vinyl, but I don't want to have to decide whether I should get ripped off to do so. Hopefully this doesn't continue with future Autechre, BOC, etc releases...

I just wish Warp would start worrying more about the obvious lack of quality control on recent releases, rather than trying to mask their shite with lavish, overpriced collectors editions, which people only buy to sell on later anyway.

Guest Greg Reason

This crazy expensive edition is not made for us, that is simply for the fine art crowd. That lot are used to paying a bullshit amount of money for everything and I think Eno wants to be taken seriously as a fine artist so he and Steve probably just decided to make this disproportionately expensive edition to make this seem like a more "serious" endeavour to that crowd

I think us lot are just supposed to buy the £60 one...

Still available. Who wants to take bets on whether they'll be lowering the price?

I really hope this is the end of the recent trend at Warp... I don't want to have to decide whether I want to spend hundreds of dollars to get the next BOC album

Guest Scrambled Ears

$450 for limited collectors edition. Wow, bit much for me.

ya this is retarded...even the analord binder wasnt this bad

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Eno describes new album as anthology of 'sound-only movies'

Experimental music pioneer lifts the lid on Small Craft on a Milk Sea, his Fellini-inspired collection of improvised collaborations

Brian Eno has revealed details of his new album for Warp Records, describing the collaboration with Leo Abrahams and Jon Hopkins as a collection of "sound-only movies". Small Craft on a Milk Sea is apparently an album of improvised electronic music, the product of years of intermittent sessions.

"Mostly the pieces on this album resulted not from 'composition' in the classical sense, but from improvisation," Eno explained. "The improvisations are not attempts to end up with a song, but rather with a landscape, a feeling of a place and perhaps the suggestion of an event. In a sense they deliberately lack 'personality': there is no singer, no narrator, no guide as to what you ought to be feeling."

According to Hopkins, many of the album's "more melodic pieces" were born out of randomness. "Brian [asked] Leo and myself to write down a series of random chords, which he would then write on a white board, along with a number – the number of bars we should stay on that chord for," he said. "Brian would then stand and point to chords at random, not knowing how (and if) they will link to each other, and Leo and I would lay down parts in the corresponding keys for the written number of bars."

These are the first substantive comments on the music of Small Craft, due for release on 15 November. Previously, Eno had only detailed the album's deluxe editions and paper stock. This week's description is rather more personal, with Eno recalling his experience of hearing Federico Fellini soundtracks before seeing the films. "Listening to [Nino Rota's music] I found I could imagine a whole movie in advance, and though it usually turned out to be nothing much like Fellini's version, it left me with the idea that a music which left itself in some way unresolved engaged the listener in a particularly creative way," he wrote.

Eno has tried to recapture this feeling with Abrahams and Hopkins, "gifted young player/composers whose work, like mine, is intimately connected to the possibilities and freedoms of electronic music". They created the album "over the last few years" – though Hopkins and Abraham have been making music together since they were teenagers.

"In the absence of [a] film," Eno said, soundtracks "[invite] you, the listener, to complete them in your mind. If you [haven't] even seen the film, the music [remains] evocative – like the lingering perfume of somebody who's just left a room you've entered." Small Craft on a Milk Sea, perhaps, will be the perfume of a film that never even was.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/sep/14/brian-eno-album-milk-sea

Sounds like he may be revisiting 'On Land'.

Archived