IGNORED

COICA

4d0

The COICA Internet Censorship and Copyright Bill

The "Combating Online Infringements and Counterfeits Act" (COICA) is an Internet censorship bill which is rapidly making its way through the Senate. Although it is ostensibly focused on copyright infringement, an enormous amount of noninfringing content, including political and other speech, could disappear off the Web if it passes.

The main mechanism of the bill is to interfere with the Internet's domain name system (DNS), which translates names like "www.eff.org" or "www.nytimes.com" into the IP addresses that computers use to communicate. The bill creates two blacklists of censored domains. The first is longer, and includes any sites where the DOJ decides that infringement is "central" to the purpose of the site. The bill gives ISPs and registrars strong legal incentives to censor the domains on that list. The Attorney General can also ask a court to put sites on a second, shorter blacklist; ISPs and registrars are required by law to censor those sites.

If this bill passes, the list of targets could conceivably include hosting websites such as Dropbox, MediaFire and Rapidshare; MP3 blogs and mashup/remix music sites like SoundCloud, MashupTown and Hype Machine ; and sites that discuss and make the controversial political and intellectual case for piracy, like pirate-party.us, p2pnet, InfoAnarchy, Slyck and ZeroPaid . Indeed, had this bill been passed five or ten years ago, YouTube might not exist today. In other words, the collateral damage from this legislation would be enormous. (Why would all these sites be targets?)

There are already laws and procedures in place for taking down sites that violate the law. This act would allow the Attorney General to censor sites even when no court has found they have infringed copyright or any other law.

https://www.eff.org/COICA

:facepalm:

Sing petition

http://demandprogress.org/blacklist/

:closedeyes:

I've been thinking about the possibility of this next decade seeing the re-emergence of non-corporate groups using private networking, and this COICA thing certainly makes me wonder about that possibility. Internet neutrality groups could create private wide area networks that were connected by anonymous proxies, which is barely any different from today.

sign the COICA thing if you want to be added the government's list of people to "make disappear." just kidding.

anyway, there is no stopping it. the internet will be regulated most likely, there is no other option. enjoy it while we've got it. there will be other options in the future, but it probably won't ever be the same. these are the "glory days," i think.

then again i could be wrong. the people won't like it if the government steps in like that. this is an issue that effects almost everybody on a very personal, real scale. i'm not saying that healthcare doesn't, i'm just saying that i don't think anybody would go along with this. it's a disgusting idea.

I've been thinking about the possibility of this next decade seeing the re-emergence of non-corporate groups using private networking, and this COICA thing certainly makes me wonder about that possibility. Internet neutrality groups could create private wide area networks that were connected by anonymous proxies, which is barely any different from today.

i hadn't thought about that. really interesting.

I think new websites and innovative ways to get around bullshit laws like this will always pop up faster than they can be shut down. The legal process is a giant lumbering douchebag that can not keep up with millions of individuals creating and sharing what they enjoy.

In france, a few months ago, a congressman proposed to ban the use of anonymous nicknames from the internet because they can be used to defame other people. A radio invited him so that he could explain his position. They asked him a few question about new technologies such as twitter and youtube, and he was like "i'm not interested in this, i just legislate". Turned out he had been sentenced a few years before to ineligibility for having sprayed anonymous tracts against one of his political opponents.

i'm posting the following for my Quebecois bros, just to show how :facepalm: is this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2nI3Sf3Bzc

il y a 3 mois

Rappelons que ce brave monsieur a été condamné à 1 an d'iinéligibilité et démis de ses mandats pour avoir anonymement financé un adversaire lors d'une campagne électorale afin d'affaiblir sa rivale et qu'il avait fait publié anonymement des tracs diffamatoires contre lui-même dans l'optique de jeter le .sur ses concurrent lors d'une autre campagne. Il est donc mal placé pour donner des leçons de morale. Quand rétablit-on les comités de salut public pour juger à notre tour ces gens ?

if people kept soundcloud for original productions and mixcloud for mixes mixcloud would be going down not soundcloud, and i wouldn't miss mixcloud

that's weird, i'm sure that i posted in this thread, i know that it was a little incoherent, as i was tired before bed, but it was two paragraphs, ar well, maybe i just closed the page in the preview post stage, lolz. :facepalm:

Archived