IGNORED

Simpsons:Banksy couch gag

karmakramer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How/when did Banksy sell out?

I just found out/picked up a book about him a couple days ago, so I only know about his art, not his history.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=banksy%20simpsons&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=nws:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wn

I think with the exposure this is getting, I don't mind he got paid for this.

Im not a huge banksy fan or anything but I don't have any problem with stuff like this.

Haha, that was nice. Banksy is clever and skilled at what he does, there's really no point in hating on him. Maybe he donates all his money to charity / dealers and hookers, we don't know. Good on him.

edit: I somehow managed to miss the last couple of posts. :facepalm:

I've been rocking the Banksy Avatar as of late.

The simpsons intro was pretty cool, i heard he had a hand at writing some of the episode? so the papers say anyway.

Also check out exit through the giftshop its pretty dam funny

How/when did Banksy sell out?

I just found out/picked up a book about him a couple days ago, so I only know about his art, not his history.

watch his movie then you will know

i don't have a problem with someone that has a sense of humour. Or a sense of aesthetic value for that matter. + at least he's not poorly tagging the shit out of everything with slogans like "logan west hardboys" or something. heh

;-] pees

First, let’s dispel a myth – FOX can’t decide what goes on The Simpsons. James L. Brooks negotiated a “no notes” policy into the show’s contract, so FOX can either play something or cancel the show; they don’t get to nit-pick. But in pointing that out, I’m nit-picking. Since what’s important here is not whether FOX did know about and approve the sequence, it’s how this makes people think of FOX differently, especially when so many people likely believe FOX either approved it or didn’t know it was happening. So, once more, it requires some unpacking.

And finally, it leaves us with uncomfortable questions about Groening and co. How are they complicit, and are they simply making this a joke so that they and we can say, “Oh yes, that is bad, isn’t it? But we know about it, so it’s all okay. Let’s just get back to business as usual, shall we? Pass the Cheetos”? I was left with many conflicting responses here myself, on one hand thinking it was a brilliant statement, on the other hand feeling deeply uncomfortable that this is the show’s response to its labor practices – making an opening credit sequence rather than actually fucking doing something about them.

First, let’s dispel a myth – FOX can’t decide what goes on The Simpsons. James L. Brooks negotiated a “no notes” policy into the show’s contract, so FOX can either play something or cancel the show; they don’t get to nit-pick. But in pointing that out, I’m nit-picking. Since what’s important here is not whether FOX did know about and approve the sequence, it’s how this makes people think of FOX differently, especially when so many people likely believe FOX either approved it or didn’t know it was happening. So, once more, it requires some unpacking.

And finally, it leaves us with uncomfortable questions about Groening and co. How are they complicit, and are they simply making this a joke so that they and we can say, “Oh yes, that is bad, isn’t it? But we know about it, so it’s all okay. Let’s just get back to business as usual, shall we? Pass the Cheetos”? I was left with many conflicting responses here myself, on one hand thinking it was a brilliant statement, on the other hand feeling deeply uncomfortable that this is the show’s response to its labor practices – making an opening credit sequence rather than actually fucking doing something about them.

While I can't speak to the manufacturing that goes into Simpsons merchandise, the actual animators of the show are South Korean, they work in offices for normal wages and normal hours (my ex used to work on the show). Yes it's tedious work, but I believe that to be true of animation in general...

his art is all incredibly superficial. There's nothing to ever miss, or to be confused by. Once you see it, you get the joke/unoriginal preachy message.... move on. Sure it's kinda cool for a coffee table book, but thats about it.

i think exit through the gift shop should dispel such notions. i find his work deeply layered in meaning and whether that's his intention or just my own subjective input on it is not relevant since this element has always been a part of what we call art.

Archived