IGNORED

The Dark Knight Rises

Rubin Farr

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anybody else catch the Killer Croc nod in the middle of the film?

I missed that, could you spoiler it?

I remember something in regards to Killer Croc, but I don't remember the circumstances.

it's not a direct reference but i think it was intentional when the rookie cop character tells Wayne that they are having the police look for 'giant crocodiles' since they think Gordon is off his rocker.

the trailer for the new Superman should give you the tingles Papy.

yes it should since it looks about as Twighlight-ish as the new Spider-man 'franchise' does

I prefer a more silver-age take on super hero comics. Nolan is the only one who gets semi right the dark 80s tone of super hero comics. Raimi's take on spider-man at least for me is much more faithful to the tone of the original comic books. It's a shame we never got to see him take on a more horror character from the spider-man universe like the Lizard especially coming after Drag Me To Hell.

ermmm, I think Goyer will make it a good film, Zack might ruin it. Still haven't seen Spider Man, not sure if I am going to in the theatre.

I wanna see a Superman man movie where Superman is this cold, distant godlike figure whose actions & general mannerisms are alien & nearly incomprehensible to average humans

Basically I wanna see a Miracleman movie

if they do a miracleman movie now, everybody will be screaming that Bates is a copy off of Agent Smith in Matrix Revolutions

Miracleman2.jpg

TheMatrixRevolutions_onesheet_AgentSmith-4-500x346.jpg

it would have to be a hard R too and include anal rape on a 12 year old, which would be pretty awesome

I found this really really boring, which is not unusual, but my bum possibly ached more than it did when I watched Prometheus. I rested my eyes and switched angle of slouch more than a dozen times, and even used the opportunity of the space to my right being momentarily vacant to stretch my right leg, because i did it with my left leg and it felt good. It was a measure of my boredom, and at least unlike Prometheus, trying to find all what I find exhausting about the film won't mean starting from a beginning that won't possibly ever end. Style and tone is e v e r y t h i n g to me. There's an asian film called Confessions that I found unwatchable because of the way it's directed. It switches back and forth through time, through different character viewpoints, and little of the film happens in real time. Dreamy, tension-building music plays almost constantly, that it meant I couldn't relax.

This film was tortuous for me because it felt like it was split into three parts, the first was largely boring and uneventful, but the second felt horribly drawn out beyond belief. Scene after scene of characters making speeches, telling tales, preaching, philosophising, talking about what has happened, what will happen, something will happen, will you do something, someone else did something once, all the while music plays to build up the drama, and it's not new to a Batman film, or a Nolan film (though my favourite Nolan film The Prestige is the most enjoyable for me and just gets on with it) but this being the third one I am now sick of it. That whole scene in the jail brought me no pleasure. I did not care that he was in there, I did not care if he would get out, I only hoped that when he inevitably would escape that it would happen really soon, and it did not. That whole second-third part felt like one long drawn out exhausting tease, like a film trailer for over an hour. Peter Griffin says something funny about The Godfather, I don't really agree, but he says 'it insists upon itself'. What? But Robert Duvall! Batman's Nolan films do that for me, but this one was the worse. I won't use pretentious, so I will use portentous, self important, it insists on its epicness, it forces it down your throat, and honestly people swallow it but it makes me feel ill. This is what is important to me, not thinking about little inconsistencies in the story and set pieces. It's more the style at which he directs.

I liked Hathaway, she does as well as she could, but she's poorly cast. She is too nice. Out of all the actresses in the world he could have picked, he chose one of the few you cannot believe is not nice. She plays Catwoman, but Nolan is not interested in capturing the essence of her character using visual imagery, her eroticism, coming up with enticing, classic, sexually charged scenes. I realised this when my The Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises-loving brother said 'well, at least she burgled more in this, she was an actual thief'. Yeah...she did, I suppose. Were any of her scenes memorable, no, were they a waste of time, yes. She had that line, didn't she, the one used in the trailers. The one that was merely okay. Her costume is shit, Batman's suit is shit, his head is crudely round, it looks like it extends around the side of his jaw, his mouth looks weird, his eyes look too close together. It looks weird. So does his suit. But it's Batman! And Catwoman! They don't need to look iconic ! She does more thieving and Batman ...rides a bike, never his batmobile. Batman Begins at least tried to be a Batman film. It was an origin story, so Nolan put more effort into Gotham. The other two are more like films that have Batman in them. I don't buy Bale. I cannot see beyond Keaton, beyond Burton's films. They can look naff, and cheap, they all look like they took place on stages, which they did. This films trades a lack of a stylized world for the need to zoom around a city at ease with loads of tank cars and bikes and flying ships and trucks smashing into one another. Keaton, even Kilmer (god), had a quiet intelligence to him/them, like he knew all. There's so many great scenes that just convince me of his status as a millionaire, there's a presence he has. I love the scenes in Burton's films where, and this to me is Batman, this scene now, where Batman is in his Bat cave, sat by all these screens, deep in thought, researching, with his glasses on, doing detective work, and his butler brings him a tray with food on it, and says something like 'oh master Bruce, you should think about easing off', and Bruce barely blinks, and says 'oh, no, look at this, blah, blah, blah, it's interesting'. That moment is Bruce Wayne, it could go on for 15 minutes and I would not be bored. In that time a Nolan film would cram in probably two preaching, parable-like tales by Michael Caine, who I think is great at giving tearful, heartbreaking scenes, but just on in a Batman film, not so many, not so obviously. Not once in the whole trilogy does Bale exude the same level of intelligence, display detective work, he's a party boy, he's a dick, he's the fear, he's reckless, he's smarmy, he's gloating, he's hurting. It's bad casting imo. Bale is good at being a character who is beaten to within an inch of his life, and looking gaunt, wrecked, lost, confused, and being smarmy, I suppose, because of one film.

I liked that Keaton didn't look conventional, he has curly hair, he's almost bald, he's not muscly. Sure it's not realistic, but realism kills all the charm of it. Trying to make Bale more convincing does the opposite. The film, and films, needlessly demystify Batman, an example being where Fox in this one shows Wayne the flying ship thing, but was there any need to. We know by now he has a lot of cool stuff, can it no be assumed that when he just appears in it that he got it from there. Does it need to be shown, the 'yes, it does come in black' line wasn't funny enough to justify it. It's like, in the original, he has a batmobile, he has a flying ship, he just does, he's Batman. He has a batcave, cool stuff just appears from nowhere, it just is, it's Batman.

The bad is that Nolan doesn't draw a picture of Bruce Wayne or Batman, he tries to wring as much emotion out of him, really forcefully, and Alfred too, but I liked him just bringing him food, I like an actor I don't associate with anything else just being the character, and playing his part in an invisible way. Scene after scene Burton captured Batman, and Nolan doesn't try. So I don't care. It becomes just a film, and a film I don't even like. I'm not even a big fan of Batman, I didn't realise how much i liked the originals until Nolan made his.

That's long, not much about the film. I have a mental block. It frazzled my brain with boredom. I've not even mentioned Bane, the lack of good action scenes or good fisticuffs. To me it's almost without merit. I'd give it a 5, it got a point for the football stadium scene. I watched Boogie Nights the other night, and it took me three attempts, not because I was bored, but tired. But each time I'd watch it from the beginning. It's just character driven scene after another, nothing is wasted, it's long, too long, but you're thankful for that if you watch it again and again because it's like spending more time with people you almost know. It's pleasurable to watch characters be people, for every scene not to be framed and shot in a way to charge the story along and artificially crank the tension up a notch. It's a very modern, Nolan thing. I feel like instead of just being, existing, the film is a false ride. If you don't go with it, you're left behind.

And there's nothing really wrong with how Hardy plays Bane, though his voice is quite camp, sarcastic, but not menacing. He's not menacing at all, not imposing, scary, he kills people but not once did I care, not once was I in his presence and really knew it. Everyone else, too, was like, oh yeah, there's Bane, with his mask on. Let's talk to him like he's nothing. There's a similar scene in TDK, the pencil scene where Nolan tries to inject realism into the situation by demystifying the character, people speak to the Joker like he's normal, and I find it disappointing, kind of deflating. Like it's not being understated, which I like, it's trying to make the strange accepted. It's shot in an ordinary way. I always expected more. Same with Bane, except this time the character doesn't allow the actor to really express himself.

"It insists upon itself." - Definitely, Inception and TDKR are guilty of this to a pretty serious degree. But I still enjoyed the whole spectacle of them. That post made a lot of good points, but I still don't get the love for Burton's Batman movies.

Guest Gary C

The Machinist fucked his mind up, he has not been the same since that movie.

He's great in it though.

I read somewhere that his parents really pressured him to become a "great actor." Not sure if that's true, but it would make sense. He was a lovely actor up through American Psycho, didn't seem to take himself too seriously, then all of a sudden he seemed to get driven by the "recognition as a great actor" bug.

He's a naturally gifted actor (was fantastic in Empire of the Sun!) but he tries too hard these days, often with unintentionally hilarious results. He always pulls some bizarre accent, whether it's the Prestige, or Batman, or Terminator Salvation...

Guest Wall Bird

I just wanna drop in and voice my distaste for Nolan's frequent usage of surprise / deus ex machina-lite saves. Let me explain. Let's think back to 'The Dark Knight' when the Joker overtakes the Harvey Dent fundraiser and singles out Rachel Dawes. She hits him in the balls and as the Joker is seemingly gearing up for retaliate Batman appears next to him, quips about how their gonna fight, and then still gets the element of surprise on him. This all takes place in a crowded, well lit room in which everyone is focused on the Joker and Rachel.

Ok, suspension of disbelief. I can accept what he's trying to do, so I'll let it go.

Later on at the end of 'The Dark Knight RIses' Talia has left Bruce helpless and in the custody of Bane, who decides (rightly so) to finish him off there and then. As he announces his intentions and moves to execute Bruce (over the course of three seconds) he is "surprised" by Selina Kyle who quietly rode through the front doors of this building into a quiet stone lobby on a motorbike - catching the master warrior completely by surprise.

Chris Nolan is stretching the credulity of these events by resorting to such cheap and corny resolutions so frequently. I believe there's at least one other moment like this in 'The Dark Knight Rises' involving The Bat, which allows them to escape. It escapes me at the moment.

That being said, the film was fine. I thought it was missing something, though. Perhaps it was that sense of dread or unease I got from The Dark Knight. I'd say the whole thing moved too fast for the density of plot points that it contained. Certain conclusions characters came to, or the resolutions came too fast. They didn't feel like they were earned.

Guest Gary C

Later on at the end of 'The Dark Knight RIses' Talia has left Bruce helpless and in the custody of Bane, who decides (rightly so) to finish him off there and then. As he announces his intentions and moves to execute Bruce (over the course of three seconds) he is "surprised" by Selina Kyle who quietly rode through the front doors of this building into a quiet stone lobby on a motorbike - catching the master warrior completely by surprise.

Batman is also stabbed in the guts by Talia, which is made to look wholly life-threatening, and yet feels fine to get-up and chase after a bomb.

The whole of the final fight just didn't feel right for me.

I don't think there's anything to suggest it, but I started to wonder whether the whole final third was supposed to be a dream. Like maybe Bruce died in that prison and this was his deathbed hallucination. Selina pops ups on a motorbike and saves the day. He just appears after a thousand-mile journey in a locked-down city through the mist. Talia has that insanely lame death-scene. And then we see a shot of Batman in the cockpit literally a second before a nuclear bomb explodes and yet we're supposed to believe he somehow ejected to safety.

I don't know how they did it, but apparently the directors/writers forgot all about logic and just threw a load of images together.

Guest Gary C

I've just realised; why wasn't Bruce publicly outed as Batman?

It would make sense thematically, as the Harvey Dent plan was based on a lie about his actions, so why should Batman's legacy be based on a lie about his true identity?

Even the element of a rich billionaire risking his neck to save all of Gotham's social classes might have been used as a rallying call.

Bruce is unmasked by Bane, with a room full of armed goons surrounding him. Did they already know, and if not, they must have talked about it between themselves. With all the streetkids and criminals that join the mercenaries in the sewers, wouldn't they have gotten word of who Batman was? By the time Batman returns 3 months later you'd think that everyone would know.

Obviously, there's the clear coincidence of Bruce coming out of hiding on the same night that Batman makes his first return... but I can let that go.

But really, thematically and logically, it makes sense that the Bruce/Batman alter-egos would have been revealed. Nolan missed a trick.

thats a good point, it would have made a lot of sense for Bruce to fake his death after he had been outed, rather than just faking it for ....? Part of me wondered if Nolan wanted to actually truly kill off bruce/batman but got talked out of it by the studio. It would have been a very ballsy serious move that would have worked even better than the way it ended. They still could have thrown in the nightwing/robin/new batman mashup reference at the end.

I guess overall i was pleased with the new Batman because it added in and changed elements from the Nolan verse i was previously unhappy with.

At least now the bar has been set so high for whoever will reboot or continue the batman franchise i can only hope that the gritty real world universe stays in place but with the addition of more fantasy comic book elements and situations. I want to see a batman universe that is not a surrealistic fritz lang metropolis but with unrealistic non real world things from Batman the comic like Clayface, manbat, superman, etc

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

i hope they make a superman film but more like chris ware's superman/god character

ware_god_920.jpg

it's not a direct reference but i think it was intentional when the rookie cop character tells Wayne that they are having the police look for 'giant crocodiles' since they think Gordon is off his rocker.

the trailer for the new Superman should give you the tingles Papy.

yes it should since it looks about as Twighlight-ish as the new Spider-man 'franchise' does

I prefer a more silver-age take on super hero comics. Nolan is the only one who gets semi right the dark 80s tone of super hero comics. Raimi's take on spider-man at least for me is much more faithful to the tone of the original comic books. It's a shame we never got to see him take on a more horror character from the spider-man universe like the Lizard especially coming after Drag Me To Hell.

The new Spiderman movie (have you seen it) is nowhere near "Twilight", in it's characters, tone or anything else for that matter.

You're right Raimi's tone was camp, and that's what made it so cringe-worthy - I think comic book movies should stop trying to be like comic books and instead give life to the characters that a static printed medium cannot. The last two non-Nolan Batman films were so bad I was expecting "BAM!" and "KAPOW!" to appear on the screen.

I wanna see a Superman man movie where Superman is this cold, distant godlike figure whose actions & general mannerisms are alien & nearly incomprehensible to average humans

Basically I wanna see a Miracleman movie

That sounds great - I've never liked how Superman was portrayed in film (or in the comics for that matter), and that sounds like a much better characterization and one I would be more interested in seeing.

how is the thread for one of the most anticipated movies of 2012 this dead? there was more activity in here before it came out, come on guys let's beat out Prometheus we only have 253 pages to go

Drove for an hour and a half to the closest movie theater and saw this movie tonight on an ultrascreen. I enjoyed it, especially the last 45 minutes or so. I thought the movie overall was a little long. Catwoman was awesome.

The preview for man of steel and total recall looked good.

Archived