IGNORED

The Black Dog

chassis

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Been loving this lot to great heights lately. Radio Scarecrow and Spanners mostly, but I'm getting into their other records too.

Got a question though that I hope someone can answer to. On their official website, the following release dates are given:

Spanners - 1994

Bytes - 15th March 1992 (the ides of march)

Temple of Transparent Balls - 1992

Are these bogus or not? Spanners is listed everywhere else to have been released in 1995 and Bytes/Temple in 1993.

dunno if you guys know this stuff, but boredrom included it in his original upload of the unreleased and rarities tape. there are a couple of texts related to the history of TBD, including a bio written by Ken, that mysteriously vanished from their webpage some time ago.

Some interesting stuff in there, shame there's not a bit more on the warp albums. Ken comes off as a bit of a tricky character, all those annotations about not being paid reminds me of him ranting to warp about not getting enough money for the music for adverts lp, was on the old IDM list as I remember. Hopefully he's getting a bit more money now he's doing a lot of self-releasing.

Guest sirch

Been loving this lot to great heights lately. Radio Scarecrow and Spanners mostly, but I'm getting into their other records too.

Got a question though that I hope someone can answer to. On their official website, the following release dates are given:

Spanners - 1994

Bytes - 15th March 1992 (the ides of march)

Temple of Transparent Balls - 1992

Are these bogus or not? Spanners is listed everywhere else to have been released in 1995 and Bytes/Temple in 1993.

yeah, Temple ov came out in '93, i'm fairly sure.. and Spanners was released in Jan '94 in the U.K. , just after Kendo's 30th Birthday, i think...

i always assumed the '95 was a later U.S. release date... or maybe a typo.

and Bytes was definitely March '92.

yeah, Temple ov came out in '93, i'm fairly sure.. and Spanners was released in Jan '94 in the U.K. , just after Kendo's 30th Birthday, i think...

'kay, thanks. Can you prove these dates somehow? Not being anal here, I'd just like to have them tagged correctly in my library. If Bytes indeed was released in '92 it becomes an even more pioneering work in my eyes than how I currently see it.

Guest sirch

'kay, thanks. Can you prove these dates somehow? Not being anal here, I'd just like to have them tagged correctly in my library. If Bytes indeed was released in '92 it becomes an even more pioneering work in my eyes than how I currently see it.

can i proove them.... i suppose only by way of mouth and eyes and fingers.

my Bytes CD and Vinyl says 1992. and my Spanners Vinyl and CD and Cassette says 1994.

and my Temple CD says 1993. but i don't have a scanner, sorry.

my Bytes CD and Vinyl says 1992. and my Spanners Vinyl and CD and Cassette says 1994.

Was thinking if you'd know a very reliable website or had bought them upon release back then, but I suppose I'll lay my trust on the official website and you. Cheers. Besides, what you provided is good enough info for me.

Guest sirch

Was thinking if you'd know a very reliable website or had bought them upon release back then, but I suppose I'll lay my trust on the official website and you. Cheers. Besides, what you provided is good enough info for me.

i bought them back in the day, mate.. the 1990's. and they're all original pressings.

Guest sirch

Bytes it also has listed as 93, even the promo..so I dunno maybe you should send in a correction sirch.

fuck! i coulda sworn it was 92... but looking again you're right, it's 93.. i stand corrected.

that's weird. i blame my dodgy lighting and redlight district lightbulbs, lol. ;)

but yeah like somebody else said before, maybe the date on the site is referring to when it was created?,

because it was obviously then all created during 92, but didn't see release til March '93,..

then i spose they went off to Belgium and recorded Temple after that . . yeah that's right,

cos i remember Temple always seemed like the pretty rubbishy/difficult-2nd-inbetweener's album before Spanners.

but Spanners was definitely 94. :)

cos i remember Temple always seemed like the pretty rubbishy/difficult-2nd-inbetweener's album before Spanners.

Dunno about that - there's some great stuff on that album, first 3 tracks especially blew me away when I first heard them. Still sound pretty good today.

Dunno about that - there's some great stuff on that album, first 3 tracks especially blew me away when I first heard them. Still sound pretty good today.

Though looking back, one thing that has definitely dated badly on the 1st three TBD albums is the artwork. I remember it looking pretty cheesy back in the 90s and it doesn't look any better now...

Though looking back, one thing that has definitely dated badly on the 1st three TBD albums is the artwork. I remember it looking pretty cheesy back in the 90s and it doesn't look any better now...

Bytes looks classy I think.

Guest sirch

Bytes looks classy I think.

same here, and it suits the music quite well i reckon. especially the inside of the vinyl.

Temple has appalling artwork, imo. really really bad. i never much liked that daft cartoon Dog character. just wasn't very professional-looking, imo, and gave a bad first impression.

i've always liked the Spanners artwork. again it goes with the music really well i think.

the 90's are comin back i reckon.......... much like the 80's did last decade.

Guest sirch

i like the first track a lot. the rest was a bit hit 'n miss for me, tbh.

some quite boring tunes on there, too. like, 'the crete that crete made' for example.

it's probably my least favourite Black Dog release from the original trio.

Guest Billov

some quite boring tunes on there, too. like, 'the crete that crete made' for example.

it's probably my least favourite Black Dog release from the original trio.

Probably my favourite track off that album :facepalm:

Archived