IGNORED

The Black Dog

chassis

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just listened to Spanners for the first time. I was a little disappointed, not due to the quality - I think it's pretty great for 1995 - but due to my expectations being a little different. I was hoping for something vaguely similar to Bytes, as in early-mid 90's lush ambient melodies with a more or less simple beat structure, I didn't expect it to be so versatile and jumpy. I'm working on something at the moment and both Bytes and Artificial Intelligence are very appropriate for it, so I thought Spanners would be similar in style. I shall listen to it again without these expectations.

What about the other older Black Dogs? I haven't heard Temple yet either.

Guest ruiagnelo

Just listened to Spanners for the first time. I was a little disappointed, not due to the quality - I think it's pretty great for 1995 - but due to my expectations being a little different. I was hoping for something vaguely similar to Bytes, as in early-mid 90's lush ambient melodies with a more or less simple beat structure, I didn't expect it to be so versatile and jumpy. I'm working on something at the moment and both Bytes and Artificial Intelligence are very appropriate for it, so I thought Spanners would be similar in style. I shall listen to it again without these expectations.

i understand what you are saying, but you definitely need a couple more listens. this record is really good, but don't try to compare it to Bytes. Each record stands on its own.

Temple of Transparent Balls is different from their other records as well, not as deep, i would say. but very creative and emotional at certain times.

Love Temple, always have. It's very cohesive. Works well as a whole and who couldn't love "Sharp Shooting on Saturn" come on! "In the Light of Grey". "The Crete That Crete Made" is even one of my favorites, and wtf to earlier comments, it's the perfect ender. Probably isn't a one of those records worth owing in some sense. And yes there's not a damn thing wrong with the tongue 'n' cheek early 90's DiY CG cover art. I'd still like to see their short 'Towers' that, that still is from.

Guest sirch

nothing "simple" about the beats in Bytes, imo! some tracks, maybe.. but there's a lot of interesting poly-rhythmic stuff going on in there!

plus Spanners was mostly written during 93, and came out in early 94. Bytes was written in 92. and Temple in late 92/93, i guess...

for me Temple was just the messy, chaotic, in-between album that lead from Bytes onto Spanners. but yeah there are some great tracks on there, for sure. it's just nowhere near as focused and deep as Bytes or Spanners, imo. it's quite a scatty album i reckon. but each to their own...

Sorry to be so blunt, but you're doing it wrong.

Why was this not on youtube before 6 minutes ago :wtf:

Guest sirch

My nigga... this shit is unreal.

Fucking Fantastic!

Fucking damn shame they broke up after this album.

Fucking wish they'd have done a couple more Fucking albums... FFS

though Plaid are Fucking brilliant on their own. Fuck yeah.

But Fuck me... Spanners... Spanners, Spanners... !!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck

Guest Billov

My nigga... this shit is unreal.

Fucking Fantastic!

Fucking damn shame they broke up after this album.

Fucking wish they'd have done a couple more Fucking albums... FFS

though Plaid are Fucking brilliant on their own. Fuck yeah.

But Fuck me... Spanners... Spanners, Spanners... !!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck

Man... Its a beautiful day, I've just eating my fill of BBQ steak. Just banged on some Raxmus, gonna play that shit right through :sup:

When i was first getting into Aphex in 96 and going around buying everything up i could, i was at a record store in Newhall asking about similar music and the record store chick took me to Spanners and she was like "well Aphex is in this group", lol, but that's how i came to be introduced to The Black Dog.

lol @ aphex being in a "group"

nothing "simple" about the beats in Bytes, imo! some tracks, maybe.. but there's a lot of interesting poly-rhythmic stuff going on in there!

You're right, I meant simple as in they're not hard to grasp, and the individual "phases" last longer. Spanners is changing a lot more.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you're doing it wrong.

I know, I took a bit of a wrong approach to an album there cause I was looking for specific kinds of tracks for my mix. Usually I don't even look at track titles before I've played something multiple times to be neutral towards it.

Guest sirch

Usually I don't even look at track titles before I've played something multiple times to be neutral towards it.

i've never much cared for track titles tbh and never really look at them, and so can never remember what they are!, for anybody's music.

i've listened to Spanners a million times and still couldn't tell you the names of all the tracks.

Therefore you listen to the tracks for what they are musically, which is best.

I can get quite influenced by track titles. With titles like autechre's, it's not a problem, cause they're usually abstract. But when a track is called e.g. Desert- or Sand-something, I'll have that imagine in mind when I listen to it, and I might miss out on the image I'd have gotten from the music alone. So I prefer to not read them before and come up with my own ideas to go with the sound, then I see how the artist meant it to be. Most of the time, the titles go very well with what I imagined, but sometimes they're completely different.

I think I first noticed this with SAW2 due to the absence of a track list on the official release - "Tassels" has always been more of a "Barbwire" for me.

Usually I don't even look at track titles before I've played something multiple times to be neutral towards it.

i've never much cared for track titles tbh and never really look at them, and so can never remember what they are!, for anybody's music.

i've listened to Spanners a million times and still couldn't tell you the names of all the tracks.

Ye Spanners especially, the tracks morph into each other so its hard to tell where tracks start and end. I like it like that anyway.

I know some track names now, but not all them.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to buy Radio Scarecrow but I can't find it anywhere at a decent price. That would be up to around 13 euros shipping included. I ordered it from Play (7 euros) in February but as is typical of them they didn't have it in stock and never will. Such a shame.

Guest sirch

I'd love to buy Radio Scarecrow but I can't find it anywhere at a decent price. That would be up to around 13 euros shipping included. I ordered it from Play (7 euros) in February but as is typical of them they didn't have it in stock and never will. Such a shame.

i'll sell you mine.... PM me. CD. Brand New. Vinyl somewhere, too. Brand New. Dissgracefull.

edit: seriously tho man i have a CD you can have.........

Guest sirch

i believe Spanners builds on a lot of pain,

whereas RS......... feeds off pain and then builds and then,

it's a bit of an anti climax, then ..... dilutes pain. end.

i'll sell you mine.... PM me. CD. Brand New. Vinyl somewhere, too. Brand New. Dissgracefull.

edit: seriously tho man i have a CD you can have.........

I want your Techno Playtime, gizzzzz it

Guest sirch

i'll let you spin it for sum good Irish smoke.. (i will need to be present of course) - dear god i sound like kaini.. what a cunt..

yes, ok... make me an offer and it's yours mate...... :) x

Archived