IGNORED

how old are your headphones?

chaosmachine

So I was just looking at my headphones, and I realized they're really old.

412VRJCGTSL.jpg

They're a pair of Sony MDR-V500s I bought back in 2000. That makes them... 11 years old. Possibly the oldest piece of electronics I own that still gets regular, daily use.

The fake leather has started to wear off the ear pads, but other than that, they work perfectly. No cord damage, no crackling sounds, etc. I still even have the original 1/4" adapter.

Pretty much every pair of headphones I've ever had broke from being crushed in a backpack. I think the only reason these ones really survived is that they're "dj" style, which means they fold up...

HDfgX.jpg

Basically they turn into a ball when you wrap the cord around them, which turns out to be a pretty safe shape.

My Mom still has some similar looking (but not foldable) Sony headphones from the 80s, but they never leave the house and rarely get used, so I'm not sure they count.

sennheiser hd280 pro

280flat640.jpg

had them for 7-8 years, even though the lower frequencies kind of suck imo.

sturdy though, i've spilt all kinds of liquids on them over the years, they even caught on fire once, but still works like new.

Guest Franklin

holy shit chaos I still regularly use the V400s which I think were bought in the late 90s (maybe 98)...

the fake cushions have worn off and the left monitor buzzes a bit.

I've actually been doing loads of research on which new ones to get. that's for another thread though.

high five.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Almost three years old. One of my last purchases as a student. Until recently my oldest working bit of electronics (excluding old hi-fi stuff) was my seven year old Creative zen xtra, and it's probably just a naffed battery on that.

maybe two or three months. i only buy cheap earbuds. no matter what style or quality of headphones i get, they die within 3 months because i don't/can't/won't take proper care of them.

412VRJCGTSL.jpg

They're a pair of Sony MDR-V500s I bought back in 2000. That makes them... 11 years old. Possibly the oldest piece of electronics I own that still gets regular, daily use.

The fake leather has started to wear off the ear pads, but other than that, they work perfectly. No cord damage, no crackling sounds, etc. I still even have the original 1/4" adapter.

Pretty much every pair of headphones I've ever had broke from being crushed in a backpack. I think the only reason these ones really survived is that they're "dj" style, which means they fold up...

HDfgX.jpg

Basically they turn into a ball when you wrap the cord around them, which turns out to be a pretty safe shape.

My Mom still has some similar looking (but not foldable) Sony headphones from the 80s, but they never leave the house and rarely get used, so I'm not sure they count.

same but with the MDR-V300s.. they are awesome headphones for the money. both sides have broken off and electrical taped, rubber pads worn off for a more pleasant feeling on the ear. but yea these things have always had good base response and fullness. you can throw it around like nothing. I bought them probably 12 years ago and they still work perfectly. hail Sony,, i like

My 280's are a year and a half now. I had some generic $30 Sony's before that that I used for about 4 years. They still work fine, except they had a couple of cracks.

Guest disparaissant

i have a 9 year old pair of 280s with both drivers blown thanks to my stupid friend borrowing them and blasting shitty pop punk until his ears rang.

6 year old pair of 212s with a broken cord that im too lazy to repair.

and like 5 pairs of sony mdr-v150s all in various states of disrepair. they're like 15 bucks.

maybe two or three months. i only buy cheap earbuds. no matter what style or quality of headphones i get, they die within 3 months because i don't/can't/won't take proper care of them.

jah, same here, somehow my sony in-ear wraparounds have stayed alive for almost two years now, before that I think I plowed thru 5 pair in like the span of a year. Also I could never get buds to work, either I have freakishly misshapen ear canals or excessive earwax buildup or some combination thereof

412VRJCGTSL.jpg

HDfgX.jpg

I've got the V600's, for about 8 years now or something like that. Have held up amazingly well over the years. The leather is all but gone and I've had to duct tape most of the cord after years of daily traveling, but they still sound fantastic.

Mine are a couple weeks old. I got the Tritton AXPROs. Working fantastic so far. Great for surround sound especially. It's great cause my landlord lives right above my room. So I get full 5.1 surround sound without disturbing him at 2am.

T26-1114-main01-tmc.jpg

I have a pair of 15-year Grado Labs I don't use much, the foam is crumbing out. I should order some replacement pads, but in Canada its almost impossible to find a retailler .

If those are "Joseph Grado Signature Products" HP-1000s (HP 1 or HP 2) with red lettering I'll pay you $500

seriously

--

Grado HF-2: about a year and a half

hf2a.jpg

Sennheiser HD-650 about three years

sennheiser_hd-650.jpg

That's me in the picture

Some AKG K141 monitors that I bought fucking who knows when but they're old. At least 12 years old. The cord finally gave out, need to get it replaced.

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

I think 1984 is when my K240s were built. Not positive.

They definitely have 6 drivers, though. And the silver instead of gold metal cups.

Archived