IGNORED

Lil B beats Aphex Twin

o00o

if it WAS on the radio the radio station would have to have a completely different atmosphere. Like it couldn't just be BEEEEEEOOO fizzle chk chk chk (those radio bumper sounds they always do) you're listening to MAXX FM fm fm fm (elephant song plays) the radio station would need to be narrated by Robert Stack or something to give it some context. It would need more irony on part of the radio stations in general as opposed to the usual COOL FUN TIME FLASHING LIGHTS DUFF-MAN ANNOUNCER VOICE which I think would kind of defeat the purpose of what you guys are saying

but yeah I think you guys are overlooking that the radio would probably be awful in any case because there's only so much room for irony with just sound dimension. On TV you can have all sorts of shit slip by or just like those medication commercials with beautiful sunny Americana geriatrics walking their dogs in a cornfield (side effects may include sudden death and death)

Windowlicker got popular by media exposure and marketing yet there's barely any (straight) vocals and I doubt lil b would ever match its popularity back in the heyday, not to mention past hits like Crockett's Theme and new age stuff like JMJ or even DJ Shadow's instrumental hip-hop.

It's a matter of exposure, back in 1997 with the help of Wipeout a lot of people got into electronic music, even people who only listened to metal. I think having a hook like Mr Oizo's Flat Beat or Zombie Nation Kernkraft 400 is a good way to present new genres to the younger crowds because the mainstream channels only airs the same genres.

lil b is just as much a cult artist as aphex twin. aphex twin scored hits back in the day and i highly doubt lil b will ever accomplish anything like that. basically i take it that lil b google bombed his name [155 myspaces] which is why his results are so high. part of the lil b appeal is his usage of the internet.

i disagree that Aphex Twin is comparable to underground artists. he's widely accepted as a musical genius and has had popular hits with Avril 14th, Flim and so on. Ambient Works 85-92 is one of the most popular electronic albums of all time...I'm not saying that he's a pop artist - though he could be if he wanted - what i'm saying is that he's so brilliant that he was able to make music on his own terms which was appealing enough to cross boundaries and appeal to the average person.

in a way he's "underground" in the way philip glass is underground. his music is in the air, but most people because of ignorance don't know his name.

Vitalic, Justice, Kavinsky, Miss Kittin and The Hacker seem somewhat popular with the general crowd, the alternative isn't just hip hop/pop/rock or hardcore idms.

Yeah, but there's a big difference between this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49esza4eiK4

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU7bFpPJiww

But yeah, I should have known that discussing anything Afx related on this forum is like talking to a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses.

christ, the 2nd one is much better. Feels more like Oizo. Fuck I'd listen to the 2nd one maybe but the 1st one can bugger right off

PS: I think the video is more interesting, on listening some more... it's ok... nothing special though :( (shame as I thought I found a possible little gem)

i disagree that Aphex Twin is comparable to underground artists. he's widely accepted as a musical genius and has had popular hits with Avril 14th, Flim and so on. Ambient Works 85-92 is one of the most popular electronic albums of all time...I'm not saying that he's a pop artist - though he could be if he wanted - what i'm saying is that he's so brilliant that he was able to make music on his own terms which was appealing enough to cross boundaries and appeal to the average person.

in a way he's "underground" in the way philip glass is underground. his music is in the air, but most people because of ignorance don't know his name.

If there was a five point scale of musical popularity, with "uploads tracks to a forum" & "underground genre artist" being the lowest two, and "popular with kids these days" & "bigger than Jesus" as the top two, I'd put Aphex (and BoC and probably Squarepusher) in the middle. Widely known within their genre and to most people who seriously follow music (ie not just whatever's on the radio), with a few pretty popular songs/albums, but not quite big enough to be household names (probably the closest people I can think of who would be are those like Brian Eno, Bjork, & NIN. Not quite the same, but same ballpark some of the time).

Lil B grew his popularity through the use of social media websites. He created over 155 MySpace pages in order to upload all of his music. He has recorded over 1500 tracks as of July, 2010.

Also, how can this come as a surprise to anyone?

Comparing a guy who hasn't made an album in 10 years with with someone who is actually active in the world of music? Also, how many people do you think would prefer listening to gangster rap over drill'n'bass/breakcore/noise/ambient? Face it guys, there's a reason why 'The Elephant Song' or 'Cock Ver 10' doesn't get played on the radio.

squee i wanna hug you cause you is so much sense making. also the cute girl i know loves squee.

Guest Coalbucket PI

This trend graph looks exactly like I would expect it to. Aphex Twin is old news and doesn't promote himself in any way, it has nothing to do with artistic merits or whatever.

Archived