IGNORED

Lil B beats Aphex Twin

o00o

Lil B grew his popularity through the use of social media websites. He created over 155 MySpace pages in order to upload all of his music. He has recorded over 1500 tracks as of July, 2010.

Also, how can this come as a surprise to anyone?

Comparing a guy who hasn't made an album in 10 years with with someone who is actually active in the world of music? Also, how many people do you think would prefer listening to gangster rap over drill'n'bass/breakcore/noise/ambient? Face it guys, there's a reason why 'The Elephant Song' or 'Cock Ver 10' doesn't get played on the radio.

:cool:

Don't worry guys, Aphex's album is sure to come out this year! :sup:

You can still join us, it's not too late. Be positive, guys.

Didn't you see that thread? AFX has 6 albums coming out this year :emotawesomepm9:

Also, how many people do you think would prefer listening to gangster rap over drill'n'bass/breakcore/noise/ambient? Face it guys, there's a reason why 'The Elephant Song' or 'Cock Ver 10' doesn't get played on the radio.

lol. and that reason is the same reason why i don't listen to the radio and don't rate Lil B, at all.

Also, how many people do you think would prefer listening to gangster rap over drill'n'bass/breakcore/noise/ambient? Face it guys, there's a reason why 'The Elephant Song' or 'Cock Ver 10' doesn't get played on the radio.

lol. and that reason is the same reason why i don't listen to the radio and don't rate Lil B, at all.

They'll play Lil B on my Uni's student run radio station :sup:

Lil B grew his popularity through the use of social media websites. He created over 155 MySpace pages in order to upload all of his music. He has recorded over 1500 tracks as of July, 2010.

Comparing a guy who hasn't made an album in 10 years with with someone who is actually active in the world of music? Also, how many people do you think would prefer listening to gangster rap over drill'n'bass/breakcore/noise/ambient? Face it guys, there's a reason why 'The Elephant Song' or 'Cock Ver 10' doesn't get played on the radio.

Precisely. And why should the whole thing matter anyway?

Precisely. And why should the whole thing matter anyway?

I like it actually. It would be pretty weird if some normal person on the street would listen to this music on the radio in circulation

yes, there is a reason, and this reason might be that aphex twin didn't create 155 myspace pages to promote his music. i'm not saying that lil b should be blamed for that, he just tries to attract people's attention. if 'elephant song' or 'cock ver 10' was aired everyday on mtv instead of gangsta rap, i'm quite sure that people would like it the same way they like their rap or r'n'b. but that wouldn't be cool. that's another topic.

yes, there is a reason, and this reason might be that aphex twin didn't create 155 myspace pages to promote his music. i'm not saying that lil b should be blamed for that, he just tries to attract people's attention. if 'elephant song' or 'cock ver 10' was aired everyday on mtv instead of gangsta rap, i'm quite sure that people would like it the same way they like their rap or r'n'b. but that wouldn't be cool. that's another topic.

Hell no. A couple of years ago I did a bunch of presentations on electronic music and of course I played a couple of Aphex Twin tracks and the reaction was almost always the same, 'that has got to be the worst thing I've ever heard'. People thought it sounded noisy, they said they didn't like the melodies and so on and blablabla. You know, all the typical stuff. What I think of Aphex Twin doesn't matter but what does matter is the fact that people like to play it safe. It's a very lousy thing to say about friends and family but people like music that doesn't demand too much attention. I think people who listen to electronic music such as Aphex Twin and all other kinds of idm (lol!) like paying attention the all the little details in the beat, melodies, effects, and so on (or maybe they just like being special - heyoooo!!). The same goes for all kinds of "underground" music. Take progressive-dreamtheatre-shit-fuck-stuck-in-the-80s-&-90s-rock-music. You never hear that on the radio either and it's all because of the very same reason. People like turning on the radio to hear something that doesn't really interfer with what they're doing.

Back when I listened to Aphex I enjoyed trying to pick his tracks apart and my friend to listens to the previous mentioned progressive-dreamtheatre-rock likes listening to it because he plays the guitar himself. And all his friends who listen to the same kind of music all play either drums, bass, and/or guitar at a minimum of 20.000 bpm. Or something like that?

(i've got the flu so I don't take responsibility for any grammar or spelling mistakes :) )

Hell no. A couple of years ago I did a bunch of presentations on electronic music and of course I played a couple of Aphex Twin tracks and the reaction was almost always the same, 'that has got to be the worst thing I've ever heard'. People thought it sounded noisy, they said they didn't like the melodies and so on and blablabla. You know, all the typical stuff. What I think of Aphex Twin doesn't matter but what does matter is the fact that people like to play it safe. It's a very lousy thing to say about friends and family but people like music that doesn't demand too much attention. I think people who listen to electronic music such as Aphex Twin and all other kinds of idm (lol!) like paying attention the all the little details in the beat, melodies, effects, and so on (or maybe they just like being special - heyoooo!!). The same goes for all kinds of "underground" music. Take progressive-dreamtheatre-shit-fuck-stuck-in-the-80s-&-90s-rock-music. You never hear that on the radio either and it's all because of the very same reason. People like turning on the radio to hear something that doesn't really interfer with what they're doing.

Back when I listened to Aphex I enjoyed trying to pick his tracks apart and my friend to listens to the previous mentioned progressive-dreamtheatre-rock likes listening to it because he plays the guitar himself. And all his friends who listen to the same kind of music all play either drums, bass, and/or guitar at a minimum of 20.000 bpm. Or something like that?

(i've got the flu so I don't take responsibility for any grammar or spelling mistakes :) )

great post.

i know what you're saying, but i think the real reason why people don't like "underground" or "experimental" electronic music is because it is underground, in the literal sense. most people enjoy the crap aired on the radio because that's what the radios give them. now give those same people something else to listen to, and nothing else, like, give them aphex twin and autechre and nothing else to listen to, they will probably love it. it's like the allegory of the cave, or something. i don't think tastes really have something to do with that.

and i know what you're saying about listening to music that doesn't require attention, but again, i think that's related to the fact that people are given something to consume, and that something in this case doesn't require your attention. i don't think it's the other way around

i know what you're saying, but i think the real reason why people don't like "underground" or "experimental" electronic music is because it is underground, in the literal sense. most people enjoy the crap aired on the radio because that's what the radios give them. now give those same people something else to listen to, and nothing else, like, give them aphex twin and autechre and nothing else to listen to, they will probably love it. it's like the allegory of the cave, or something. i don't think tastes really have something to do with that.

Yeah, I know what you're saying but I think Autechre and Afx might be a bit extreme because even Britney is mixing dubstep and electro together on her new single. But here's what up: The biggest hits on the radio are either tunes you can sing along too or a tune with a catchy melody. There's not really any catchy vocals on any of Afx's tunes (except for a few but you know what I mean), and it's kinda hard to explain an Afx tune, "it's the one that goes like krrrsshshhzzuyyrz!". Whereas if you don't know the lyrics for Britney's Toxic you can still say, 'it's the one with the catchy string melody' and everybody will know what you're talking about.

But I do agree with what you're saying that when something is being played on the radio people more or less just accept it.

I agree with Brian... mainstream music may be accessible but I'd rather listen to the grinding sounds of Draft 7.3 than Britney Spears. And its always been the case... so I think your tastes are simply what you surround yourself with, and I think most people get pulled into the mainstream stuff because its designed to do that.

Vitalic, Justice, Kavinsky, Miss Kittin and The Hacker seem somewhat popular with the general crowd, the alternative isn't just hip hop/pop/rock or hardcore idms.

Yeah, but there's a big difference between this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49esza4eiK4

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU7bFpPJiww

But yeah, I should have known that discussing anything Afx related on this forum is like talking to a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses.

A couple of years ago I did a bunch of presentations on electronic music and of course I played a couple of Aphex Twin tracks and the reaction was almost always the same, 'that has got to be the worst thing I've ever heard'. People thought it sounded noisy, they said they didn't like the melodies and so on and blablabla. You know, all the typical stuff. What I think of Aphex Twin doesn't matter but what does matter is the fact that people like to play it safe. It's a very lousy thing to say about friends and family but people like music that doesn't demand too much attention. I think people who listen to electronic music such as Aphex Twin and all other kinds of idm (lol!) like paying attention the all the little details in the beat, melodies, effects, and so on (or maybe they just like being special - heyoooo!!). The same goes for all kinds of "underground" music. Take progressive-dreamtheatre-shit-fuck-stuck-in-the-80s-&-90s-rock-music. You never hear that on the radio either and it's all because of the very same reason. People like turning on the radio to hear something that doesn't really interfer with what they're doing.

^ the truth

@topic: who the fuck is "Lil B"? seriously :mellow:

People who listens to Britney Spears have a different purpose for listening to music, sing-along/dancing/partying. How much do they really care about the acutal music? As long as it has a catchy hook, a simplistic beat of some kind (that you can dance to), and it's made by an artist with a certain image, and it's accepted to listen too in some form (dictated by radio, television etc.)

And nothing's wrong with that, I just think people gets their pleasures differently when they are listening to music. People who likes Aphex Twin are probaly just a little more nerdy about some musical aspects. And that doesn't mean I think people who likes Aphex Twin or whatever, knows more about music or anything like that.

I also think it has something to do with the fact, that people just don't like things that are strange and unknown, it makes you feel uncomfortable. That's why when some people hears Vordhosbn for the first time, they are going to think: "WTF is this weird and loud music?!".

Anyway, that was my very own idm-fag/geek contribution to this discussion, probaly didn't make any sense :crazy:

Edit: and yeah, Squee tells the truth.

I agree even if someone randomly did like Aphex Twin how would they even describe/recommend it to some of their friends and popularity spread etc. Sometimes I have a feeling that really, REALLY way behind the scenes like at a movie studio for example people must pitch their movie idea/be able to pitch it in like 2-3 words or it isn't even considered, and no SAT words. Like "crazy old people throwing knives movie" and "funny black guy plays CGI aardvark"

wish everyone had synesthesia so you could just say yeah the orange song with the alternating stripes

am I weird that I don't think Elephant Song is weird? I mean in the sense if it was selling cat litter in a commercial I think you would just passively accept it

first Aphex I ever heard was in that Pirelli commercial and I hated it lol

People who listens to Britney Spears have a different purpose for listening to music, sing-along/dancing/partying. How much do they really care about the acutal music? As long as it has a catchy hook, a simplistic beat of some kind (that you can dance to), and it's made by an artist with a certain image, and it's accepted to listen too in some form (dictated by radio, television etc.)

And nothing's wrong with that, I just think people gets their pleasures differently when they are listening to music. People who likes Aphex Twin are probaly just a little more nerdy about some musical aspects. And that doesn't mean I think people who likes Aphex Twin or whatever, knows more about music or anything like that.

I also think it has something to do with the fact, that people just don't like things that are strange and unknown, it makes you feel uncomfortable. That's why when some people hears Vordhosbn for the first time, they are going to think: "WTF is this weird and loud music?!".

Anyway, that was my very own idm-fag/geek contribution to this discussion, probaly didn't make any sense :crazy:

Edit: and yeah, Squee tells the truth.

well, i personnally don't agree at all with that. i don't think people don't like aphex twin because it's weird or nerdy, and neither do i think people listen to britney spears simply because it's catchy and nice. people just eat what you feed them with. give soup to the pigs, they'll love it. now give them caviar, they'll love it too. if you get me. i'm not comparing people to pigs, it's just a metaphor. and i'm not discussing about aphex twin, i'm talking about any music.

I think it's about right that IDM shit ends up on movie soundtracks while Britney Spears etc. doesn't work in that case, while that stuff rules the radio. I think you can't get away with as much too because it's JUST weird sounds, not weird sounds + weird imagery because like I was saying commercials are full of this and whatever, they complement each other. At the very least you can say 'yeah it was the weird song in the Scrubbing Bubbles commercial' and your mind feels at ease

Archived