IGNORED

Another Bacon Thread

BobDobalina

Bacon is way overrated. I'm sick of hearing about Bacon.

FUCK BACON.

And fuck Kevin Bacon, too. Hollow Man was fucking terrible. FUCK PAUL VERHOEVEN.

FUCK THIS THREAD

I watched a bunch of Epic Eating Vids on youtube last night.

"and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips""and bacon strips"....

Guest fiznuthian

i know bacon gets a bad rap about how fatty it can be,

"it'll make you fat!" etc..

but as of the last few nutrition posts i've made i have actually changed my tune

about meat and its role in human diet.. before i was eating fish always, but now i'm

chomping down on sometimes 3 steaks/hamburger steaks a day.

i'm following what's called the "paleolithic diet" originally devised by a professor named Loren Cordain

at Colorado State Uni. i won't go into great detail here but the premise is that

because humans have evolved for many millions of years eating primarily meat, then vegetables, fruit, seeds, and nuts,

we are genetically wired for high protein, moderate fat, and low carb diets.

essentially, the hunter gatherer lifestyle.

anthropological studies show no record then of many of the diseases that exist today,

some of which only appeared after the agricultural revolution.

it seems grains are a major player in the they are not fully digestible and contain anti-nutrients.

well it turns out theres a small army of paleo-dieters on the internets following

the evolutionary biology behind all of this, and most of them are having incredible success

improving their health eating all the fat and protein they want. like me they're sticking

to grass-fed meats which retain their fully-rounded fatty acid profiles (omega 3 baby).

so i've changed my tune a bit to guinea pig this so-called paleo diet and

jolly roger i feel fucking great. the best part, and here's where my post is relevant:

eating bacon with all of its saturated fat dripping off of it,

does not make a person fat or clog your arteries when eating like we used to,

back in the good ole' days of nomading around killing buffalo and pigs n shit.

the only bad thing are nitrates and commercial bacon is fucking full of 'em

so personally i'm sticking to the local stuff.

Guest fiznuthian

People were a lot more active back then though.

not really.. their lifestyle was:

sprinting 15-30 every once in a while

generally just walking and doing moderate work for a portion of their day

then spent the rest of their day at rest and sleeping well

also the argument that they died young has been brought up.. it's worth considering.

but it is not easy to live long without modern medicines

and when your own food is trying to kill you when you hunt it.

that and weather conditions shit all over your primitive ways countless times throughout the year.

but hey, that ate the way they did and evolution plays its game.

i think its worth trying. unlike fad diets there's large communities of people eating this way

online and one thing they all have in common is just how many people successfully improved their health

and well-being by adhering to this way of eating..

personally i'm eating quite a bit of meat and eggs per day, and eating a LOT more salad than i ever have.

walnuts and hemp seeds too.

trying to keep the fruit i eat in moderation but its getting much easier as i don't crave sugar or sugary snacks anymore.

If you think paleolithic folk were eating 3 squares of meat every day, you are deluded. Maybe if you chowed down on some serious read meat once or twice a week and stuck with leafy greens, tubers, and nuts the rest of the time. And maybe if you ran full sprint to where you're acquiring said meat, and back, in the cold, and it took 6 hours.

yeah the thing is - we're not hunting for food anymore, we're not fighting to stay alive, and shelter is pretty much a guarantee (I'm speaking of the global north here, and I'm thankful as fuck for all of those developments).

You want to keep your red meat intake low - get your protein from eggs/chicken or tofu/grain combinations (tofu on toast is a complete proteing and makes a decent breakfast if you're not planning on being too active that day). Be active because otherwise you will just get fat.

Wait 3 hamburgers/steaks a day? Dude - if you're planning on being a hermit you're gonna need to find some way of living without that...lol

Guest fiznuthian

If you think paleolithic folk were eating 3 squares of meat every day, you are deluded. Maybe if you chowed down on some serious read meat once or twice a week and stuck with leafy greens, tubers, and nuts the rest of the time. And maybe if you ran full sprint to where you're acquiring said meat, and back, in the cold, and it took 6 hours.

actually its not at all unrealistic.

there are hunter-gatherer populations that exist today getting 50 to 75% of their caloric energy from meat alone.

and no you don't have to sprint for 6 hours to reap the rewards of eating like this,

paleolithic people didn't either for the most part.

they did do a lot of walking and moderate exercise, but rarely did they do extensive cardio or anaerobic exercise.

the guy who wrote the book i'm reading is a professor in the health and exercise science department at CSU,

and publishes every one of his studies in peer-reviewed journals like American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,

the British Journal of Nutrition, and the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

their papers are holding up well on the review front, and even moneygrubbing Unilever corp is investigating paleolithic eating habits now.

he writes books but posts the entire premise of his diet plan on his website and answers questions for people freely,

the books just describe his research, which hey.. he also published on his website for free

but its not really a "diet" per say.. "paleo diet" is just a way to remember whats good

and what isn't.. perhaps strange for any of you who, like me, grew up being told the

food pyramid is the holy grail of health. what a fucking joke that pyramid is.

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

heh, created by none other than the United States Department of Agriculture

fat is bad fat is bad fat is bad eat more pasta eat more rice eat more whole grain toast

I just had bacon and pancakes. :sup:

A did I, soul brother.

I do love me some bacon, however I do feel that in recent years it ha become somewhat fashionable or meme-ish to praise one's love for it.

I like it with my breakfast or on the occasional sandwich but I think anyone who gushes over how it is the greatest food on earth is either a culinary novice or just trying to capitalize on someone else's humorous over-enthusiasm.

Foie Gras bitches. Foie Gras.

Guest maantecaaa!!!

I discovered a food truck in LA that serves bacon in everything on the menu. Awesome idea but i'm guessing the people that work there now smell like bacon 24/7.

• 2 months later...

they also rarely made it past 40

From what I understand these statistics included infant mortality rates (which were much higher than now) into the average which lowered the perceived overall life span.

Archived