IGNORED

Classic Electronic / Synthesizer Music lovers

awepittance

i picked up these 2 records last month, the only reason i picked up the one on the right is because it said Vangelis on the cover, but it is not the same Vangelis i was thinking haha. It's still good though, the one on the right is very synth ambient and the one on the left is really rocky up beat fusion synthesizer stuff with live band instruments.

post-403-0-93848100-1324071404_thumb.jpg

anybody familiar with either of these? I'd like to find more french library music like this

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we need someone to re-inject some life into it . and im assuming if Joyrex posted a bootleg mp3 blog of moog and other electronic music it's ok for us to do to. Please post any links to blogs you can find

No, it's not - considering how unbelievably rare and out of print and obscure the stuff at that blog is, I think it's justified in this case - I should have posted a disclaimer stating so.

Any blogs illegally linking copyrighted music will be removed, and the posters warned, as per forum policy.

Nice thread! Some familiar names and some more artists to investigate. I don't think anyone's mentioned these yet, although it's a long thread, so I could well be wrong:

• Ursula Bogner (if she's real, which I hope she is): Recordings 1969-1988
  • Suzanne Ciani: Seven Waves
  • Landscape: European Man
  • Ray Lynch: Deep Breakfast
  • Silver Apples: Silver Apples
  • Charanjit Singh: Synthesizing: Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat
  • Synergy: Audion
  • White Noise (Delia Derbyshire again): An Electric Storm
  • Yellow Magic Orchestra: Yellow Magic Orchestra

Just discovered this 1979 track by Vangelis, very reminiscent of some of Blade Runner OST but more smoked out.

A lot of Vangelis's music is very reminiscent of Blade Runner... which is arguably a very good thing. :)

It was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I just recently heard You's Electric Day and was thoroughly impressed--fans of Grosskopf's Synthesist LP will find much to love.

Other electronic albums I've listened to recently and enjoyed a lot:

Zanov - In Course of Time (French artist delivers very deep, trippy Berlin School electronics)

Bernard Szajner - Some Deaths Last Forever (a dark, sequencer driven synth album with a Death Row theme)

Here's an awesome track from Grosskopf's Synthesist:

Here's the opening track from the Szajner album:

Just to keep this thread alive, I thought I'd provide two classic Moebius tracks. The first is from his solo debut, Tonspuren. The second is from a collaboration between Moebius, Conny Plank, and Mani Neumeier called Zero Set. Both were released in the early 80s.

Please keep in mind that the sound quality is piss poor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMD1H-XWmGk

the 2nd track you posted from Zero Set is fucking amazing, it sounds like some kind of modern indie rock electronic act. Listen to how that line turns into an acid line as the song progresses. Can't get over how good Zero Set is.

Nice thread! Some familiar names and some more artists to investigate. I don't think anyone's mentioned these yet, although it's a long thread, so I could well be wrong:

• Ursula Bogner (if she's real, which I hope she is): Recordings 1969-1988
  • Suzanne Ciani: Seven Waves
  • Landscape: European Man
  • Ray Lynch: Deep Breakfast
  • Silver Apples: Silver Apples
  • Charanjit Singh: Synthesizing: Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat
  • Synergy: Audion
  • White Noise (Delia Derbyshire again): An Electric Storm
  • Yellow Magic Orchestra: Yellow Magic Orchestra

Just discovered this 1979 track by Vangelis, very reminiscent of some of Blade Runner OST but more smoked out.

A lot of Vangelis's music is very reminiscent of Blade Runner... which is arguably a very good thing. :)

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lectures/morton-subotnick

Thanks, I missed that one! That site's a surprisingly good collection of interviewees, if not always interviewers. Any series featuring both Don Buchla and Steve Beckett, along with many influential musicians, has to pique my interest... Doubly so when they're uncut, several hour long interviews. You can get some real insights that way.

i picked up these 2 records last month, the only reason i picked up the one on the right is because it said Vangelis on the cover, but it is not the same Vangelis i was thinking haha. It's still good though, the one on the right is very synth ambient and the one on the left is really rocky up beat fusion synthesizer stuff with live band instruments.

post-403-0-93848100-1324071404_thumb.jpg

anybody familiar with either of these? I'd like to find more french library music like this

Just to clarify--the album on the right is the same Vangelis you know. It's a soundtrack he did under his full name. I like side two on that LP.

So far my favorite Vangelis output is side two of his 1973 soundtrack: L'Apocalypse Des Animaux. Simply put, it's an ambient stunner that sounds ahead of its time in a few ways.

Other Vangelis worth checking out:

Opera Sauvage

Antarctica (starts cheesy, but soon sounds like a great follow up to Blade Runner)

Invisible Connections (experimental in a good way)

See You Later (Vangelis does Kraftwerk--silly, but listenable)

Here's an interesting electronic tidbit worth hearing. It's from the Asmus Tietchens LP Stupor Mundi, released 1990. It goes to show that he didn't abandon melody entirely after the Sky LPs, though he certainly distorted it. Also, fans of the Tietchens Sky output should check out the EP Rattenheu--it contains material from a Sky album he never released. The EP is also available as bonus tracks on the recent CD issue of Litia.

Here's the Stupor Mundi track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEVnkKz2TbU

And just for fun here's a stunning track from Edgar Froese's solo LP Stuntman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIuDwESKjZc&feature=related

one of my favorite Classic synthesizer records, Electronic Mind Waves - Elektriktus has just been reissued on vinyl

you can get it direct from the label that reissued it here - http://ictusrecords.com/covers/AMS.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed_K24HumiU&feature=related

• 4 weeks later...
Guest futuregirlfriend

Maybe you can help. I've been trying to find the intro to a 70s-80s French sports show(?) for a while, no idea what it's called though. Pretty similar to that one from what I can remember with various line drawings of athletes morphing from one thing to another.

Bump: Forgot about this mad weird track where roots reggae meets the moog, quite cheesy but a novelty nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgEJpjsoXdM

really nice! im going to track down this album. The only other classic synth reggae record i'm aware of is the Prince Jammy meets the Space invaders record which just goes overboard on videogame twiddle sound fx not much if any synth melodies on it.

Archived