2011 Most IDM Tournament

QBLA

Round 4: Elite 8  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Bracket 1

• Abandoned Soviet Monuments
    • Strandbeest
  2. 2. Bracket 2

• Theory that the Higgs Boson Traveled Back In Time To Prevent It's Discovery
    • Dew Covered Insects
  3. 3. Bracket 3

• Factories at Night
    • Tesla
  4. 4. Bracket 4

• Windows 95
    • Space Stations

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Iain C

After the absence of Ice Water With Ice from this year's competition and Ulillillia's shock first-round defeat, I'm backing Windows 95 all the way to the end. But I'll also be happy if the insects take it. Insects are awesome.

Guest Iain C

yeah the win 95 i just don't get. so it's retro and has hipster cache (iain c)

Surely if anything has retro hipster cachet, it's this:

macintosh.jpg

Windows 95 is contemporaneous with the "golden age" of IDM if there ever was one... and it's on a computer. It's a no-brainer.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Strandbeest - cool, even if I have no idea what it is beyond a walking stick monster.

Strandbeest gets more IDM the more you know about it.

In the future, the Dutch artist expects his creations to become more and more anatomically sophisticated: they will develop muscles, a nervous system, and some kind of brain allowing them to take complex decisions. And some day, he hopes his beach creatures won't need him to keep on evolving. Entire herds on the beach will compete for being the fastest and more stable, and will transmit their DNA autonomously to following generations, already completely incorporated in their ecosystem.

http://www.wimp.com/kineticsculpture/

Strandbeest > Monuments because it has the visual coolness of the monuments plus movement + the fucked up manifesto of actually wanting them to become independent lifeforms.

The problem with most of that stuff about Strandbeest is that it’s not true, it won’t live and breed on its own or have a nervous system or a brain, its just a set of legs attached to a sail that blows along the beach and the artist has some bullshit plans for it that will never happen.

Guest Coalbucket PI

And are there any photos of insects with dew on them that aren't taken by Miroslaw Swietek? I feel like voting for 7 photos by one guy isn't very IDM. Where can we get more photos? This could prove even harder than finding photos of robots with girls

That Ae-clip by that Chris Cunningman featered some robot bugs, right? I'm sure the crispy details can function as some sort of visual dew. Pretty IDM. If it was shot in an abandoned factory in Yugoslavia we've got a winner.

Still needs more midgets though. :rdjgrin:

Guest Coalbucket PI

Tesla is taking a bit of a beating from Factories, I thought that one would be closer.

It is quite cute that Strandbeest, a moving sculpture with all that stuff about leaving them to survive and develop on their own is up against abandoned monuments, which are sort of the static version of leaving a sculpture to survive and develop on its own.

Guest theSun

macintosh.jpg

Windows 95 is contemporaneous with the "golden age" of IDM if there ever was one... and it's on a computer. It's a no-brainer.

i think he actually meant hipster cache

lol

ps: please not win95.

Guest Iain C

Windows 95 is the most IDM thing on that list and you all know it, that's why you're scared, because you know it.

If windows 95 wins I'm going to make a track comprising only America online sounds.

edit: and obviously the album cover would need to be ms painted

guys, its obvious to me that the higgs boson has travelled back in time to purposefully lose this competition in order to hide its true idm credentials. Paradoxically this is really idm, so it should win.

How can you make Abandoned Soviet Monuments go up against Strandbeest, this is outrageous!

champions-league-lodtraekning-live.jpg

Picture_131.png

because that's how brackets work.

David_Wells_Shrug.jpg

macintosh.jpg

The Mac or the Atari ST are contemporaneous with the golden age of IDM. Win95 came out well in the middle of the golden age, almost nearer the end. No producers of note used it, and it was shit. IDM is clearly not shit.

atari1040st1.jpg

and seriously - dew covered insects? Ooh they fell asleep, and then dew settled on them. When they wake up, the dew will be gone. Fucking everything that's outside in the right temperature/humidity conditions will get covered with dew. EVERYTHING!

ELT200709171549481256326.JPG

Archived