IGNORED

BECK - Odelay

YEK

i just put this on.. i haven't listened to it for years, like over 5 years. sounds so good. i don't remember it being as experimental as it is, there are some real gems

Strange. Im just listening to Modern Guilt. When I bought it I never really gave it much attention. But it's actually a fantastic album, so many whopper tracks on it.

Guest sirch

i like beck. Am I wrong to assume that it's half a joke, though? His singing and stuff? Like he's sort of joking?

yes. it's all tounge in cheek, 'silly-hilly-billy', but fukcing awesome at the same time. that's Beck.

odelay kicks ass but mellow gold is still my favourite.

I love the little breakdown bit at the end of novocane (the same one that comes back towards the end of the album but is interrupted by a sample saying something like "turn that damn music off")

What's wrong with you man, get the otha rekkid

DAMN

Guest uptown devil

i just put this on.. i haven't listened to it for years, like over 5 years. sounds so good. i don't remember it being as experimental as it is, there are some real gems

i hadn't heard it in a few years either. put it on tonight.. very, very good. i can hear the dust brothers' goodness all over it.

dudes, right on the money. too tired/drunk to concur any further. but he kind of drops off after this album, imo. that being said though, one foot in the grave (out on k records) is also amazingly wonderful, independent of the comparatively ultra-tech dust brothers production.

edit: you cannot fuck with this stripped-down song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoiRpucHfBg

everything Beck has done is great including Modern Guilt

Strange. Im just listening to Modern Guilt. When I bought it I never really gave it much attention. But it's actually a fantastic album, so many whopper tracks on it.

same. when it came out i was worn out on Beck I think, and the production was a bit weak. returning to it this year i really enjoyed it

Guest Coalbucket PI

I loved this, but always forget about it. I think I only have Odelay and a more recent one... The Information maybe? is that even an album title? I could easily google this, but y'know

Guest Greg Reason

Yeah as you know I've recently discovered a strong appreciation for this record! Quite impressed

Guest Iain C

It's weird this thread should come up now. I was just listening to Beck yesterday too. Mellow Gold. Woo!

Guest Sir Winston

Been listening to some old Beck recently as well, hive mind going on at WATMM. Might give Modern Guilt another go wasnt too impressed with it first time round.

Modern Guilt is one of those albums that's very good, but so consistent that nothing stands out on first listens. Then you go back to it and whoa momma. Chem Trails.

it's great, but i prefer midnite vultures. perfect early prince impersonation. in fact imma listen to it RIGHT NOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_7foC40SP4

what a fucking track. hey baby... step into my hyundaiiiiii

i do really love odelay but this song is probably one of my favorite tracks of all time. can't beat it.

dudes, right on the money. too tired/drunk to concur any further. but he kind of drops off after this album, imo. that being said though, one foot in the grave (out on k records) is also amazingly wonderful, independent of the comparatively ultra-tech dust brothers production.

edit: you cannot fuck with this stripped-down song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoiRpucHfBg

One Foot in the Grave is absolutely fantastic.

I first heard my mum's copy of this album when I was about 7 or 8. I loved many of the tracks, and the music stayed with me in a latent form for a few years. Back in 2008, I managed to dig up the copy of Odelay, and I listened to the album again for the first time in seven years. It was fucking amazing! It was like these tracks had been stuck in my head for years, and I was finally hearing them out in the open.

Devils Haircut has to be one of the best tracks ever made. The New Pollution is shockingly good, and Jack-Ass melts me with its whimsical wonder.

Overall, it's one of the few albums that has NO dud track for me. 14 tracks, and every last one is top notch.

Guest Iain C

At about ten last night I was walking back through Soho after a solid afternoon's drinking with my girlfriend, when we passed a cocktail bar we sometimes visit.

I'd been drinking since about 2pm, so we decided to pass it by and just go home, but as we went by I noticed they were playing "Devil's Haircut" by Beck. Taking it as a sign, I went in and we had another couple of drinks.

Then we snuck into a Catholic church, I drank some holy water and said the Lord's Prayer.

Thanks Beck!

Archived