IGNORED

Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal

ghOsty

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does early sabbath count? Jesu self-titled record is probably my favorite in this category.

yes, this whole genre of doom/sludge pretty much owes credit to early era sabbath...

Love the first 5 Sabbath albums. I think the doomiest they did was Master of Reality, an album choka with classics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlW9s_QGyJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=236Lquwq22A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrV9NTAXkMU

ily.jpg

oh hell yes jefferoo :beer:

Yeah Fu Manchu are cool. Nola by Down is a classic too.

great call with down.

this has to be one of my fav melvins songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3D_Zb7qwnI&feature=related

Seen Down live about 4 years ago. They ripped the place apart! Fantastic show. I never got involved in all the Pantera politics and who's side I should be on lol, Anselmo gets very bad press from some people. All I know (and care) was about the music. Trust me at that gig it was one of the best performances I have ever seen. He was rude, arrogant, hilarious and by the end of show everybody's best mate. A strange mix, and not many people could pull it off.

It's a long track but this is off their last album, but fucking brilliant. I like the way Down join the dots between Sabbath/Led Zep and Southern Rock (or whatever the genre is). The sound of industrial England meets the Southern American swamp, on paper it shouldn't work but somehow in reality it sounds perfect.

The ending mantra of "..and when we walk away, there'll be no coming home."

Epic

Guest Greg Reason

Love the first 5 Sabbath albums. I think the doomiest they did was Master of Reality, an album choka with classics.

Agreed... my favourite Sabbath album.

Thirded. Undoubtedly the best Sabbath album. The first five are all bloody fantastic records though.

comment on this thread in general:

I hope you guys aren't sleeping on Neurosis... I know they pretty much are the sound of a nervous breakdown but you really need to listen to that shit. Intense as all fuck and with some of the mightiest riffs in history. Yes they are monstrously heavy (far moreso than many people's tastes) but imo they put every other doom band to bed.

So tonight I got home from work in a kinda evil mood, and wanted to listen to something to suit my mood. I've been shuffling through my doom/sludge metal collection> I love a lot of this stuff and haven't really listened to any in a while.

Some of my favs:

A Storm Of Light

Electric Wizard

High On Fire

Boris

Kylesa

Kyuss

post some heavy sludgy goodness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_SEBcXs1o

Ever listen to Baroness? As a side note, their main singer/guitarist, John Dyer Baizley, has done a ton of excellent artwork for some of those bands. Looks like Mucha gone metal.

Ever listen to Baroness? As a side note, their main singer/guitarist, John Dyer Baizley, has done a ton of excellent artwork for some of those bands. Looks like Mucha gone metal.

I saw Baroness open for some other bands live once, and it was a pretty terrible set. They noticably fucked up a handful of times during the set, and they just generally sloppy. I think they might've gotten a bit too drunk/high up before playing. It may have just been a bad day but it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as I wanted it to be and kinda turned me off of them. I may have to give them another listen soon though because the red album was pretty good and I've heard good things about the blue one.

I saw Baroness open for some other bands live once, and it was a pretty terrible set. They noticably fucked up a handful of times during the set, and they just generally sloppy. I think they might've gotten a bit too drunk/high up before playing. It may have just been a bad day but it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as I wanted it to be and kinda turned me off of them. I may have to give them another listen soon though because the red album was pretty good and I've heard good things about the blue one.

Good to know, sometimes bands can't live up to their studio output. They've always come off as a studio band anyway. Often it's other way around. I remember seeing Pelican in 07' and thought the tracks they played live didn't translate well at all to their recorded versions.

Anyway, I enjoyed the blue album a lot, it's worth a listen.

Agreed... my favourite Sabbath album.

Thirded. Undoubtedly the best Sabbath album. The first five are all bloody fantastic records though.

comment on this thread in general:

I hope you guys aren't sleeping on Neurosis... I know they pretty much are the sound of a nervous breakdown but you really need to listen to that shit. Intense as all fuck and with some of the mightiest riffs in history. Yes they are monstrously heavy (far moreso than many people's tastes) but imo they put every other doom band to bed.

Neurosis are wonderful but tr00 OG Neurosis fans would probably shank you for calling them "doom."

And they'd shank you whilst going:

DON'T CRAWL; SEEK HIS BURN OF WAR!

WHEN THE FALLOUT COMES HE IS FIRE!

edit: meanwhile the post-Sovereign Neurosis fans would like to have a conversation with you over a glass of wine re: genre distinctions and American folk music tradition.

Guest Greg Reason

Neurosis are wonderful but tr00 OG Neurosis fans would probably shank you for calling them "doom."

edit: meanwhile the post-Sovereign Neurosis fans would like to have a conversation with you over a glass of wine re: genre distinctions and American folk music tradition.

haha you are correct but OG Neurosis fans wish they were still playing awful hardcore

I'd rather sit around with a glass of kool aid and discuss the wonders of Moog bass and the space-rock tradition ;)

haha you are correct but OG Neurosis fans wish they were still playing awful hardcore

I'd rather sit around with a glass of kool aid and discuss the wonders of Moog bass and the space-rock tradition ;)

neurosis' hardcore was not awful at all. they were and still are a great band.

I have the urge to spark up a massive doobie, about an hour before darkness falls on an gloomy English summer evening (I won't have to wait too long lol) and go through this whole thread and listen to every tune posted.

Archived