IGNORED

Metallica & Lou Reed - Lulu

beerwolf

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is actually no way that this can end well considering the states of metallica and lou reed in 2011

am i the only person in the whole universe who actually thinks death magnetic is awesome?

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Yesterday, we reported the earthshakingly weird news that Metallica and Lou Reed had teamed up to record an album together. Rolling Stone has a bit more info on the surprising collaboration. The magazine sat both entities down for an interview together, and writer David Fricke got to hear the mostly-finished product. Fricke describes the effort as a combination between Reed's Berlin and Metallica's Master of Puppets-- a description that somehow gives us less of an idea how this thing might sound.

Reed wrote the songs for the album, with Metallica making what Fricke calls "significant arrangement contributions." Metallica drummer Lars Urich claims that the record is "90% finished" and that they have no plans for release at the moment, especially since neither Reed nor Metallica have record deals right now.

Apparently, Metallica and Reed had originally planned to record an album of covers of lesser-known Reed songs. But Reed brought a different idea to them: An album of songs that he wrote for the play Lulu, an adaptation of stories from the German author Frank Wedekind that's currently running in Berlin.

Talking to Rolling Stone, Metallica's James Hetfield says, ""Lars and I listened to the stuff, and it was like, 'Wow, this is very different.' It was scary at first, because the music was so open. But then I thought, 'This could go anywhere.'" Song titles include "Pumping Blood" and "Mistress Dread".

For his part, Reed says, "A marriage made in heaven. I knew it from the first day we played together: 'Oh, man, this is perfection, right in front of me'... They're bringing Metallica, with all that power. And because they're pretty sophisticated, wherever I go, they're still with me."

http://pitchfork.com/news/42894-details-emerge-on-the-lou-reedmetallica-album/

Metallica drummer Lars Urich claims that the record is "90% finished" and that they have no plans for release at the moment, especially since neither Reed nor Metallica have record deals right now.

great attitude :/. they can go fuck off now. lou reed too, which i didn't expect or want to say.

• 2 months later...

bts_001.jpg

Interesting. Not only is Reed playing the Moog guitar, but that red thing in the foreground is a Continuum Fingerboard (if I'm not mistaken) - a pretty amazing control surface. This could either be really interesting or really terrible.

This conjures to mind that wackadoo theory of there being an infinite amount of parallel universes wherin other versions of you are doing absolutely everything that you could possibly be doing. And we're in one of those wacky parallel dimensions where Metallica and Lou Reed end up collaborating in a project called Lulu. This is possibly the most absurd pairing since Chris Cornell and Timbaland teamed up a few years back. Should be... something.

I was going to start up a thread not so long ago, about the future of Metallica and Slayer. They (even more so Slayer lol) cannot keep treading the same path, thrashing out the type of songs they made their names with.

I think Metallica know they have come to the cross roads, where they have to adapt their sound. Perhaps this is the first step in that direction?

As for Slayer? They as a band could be finished. But Metallica? No matter your opinion of them, they have always been wise to not getting caught in a rut. Mr Ulrich I think is a clever cat and he knows they have to change their game.

This conjures to mind that wackadoo theory of there being an infinite amount of parallel universes wherin other versions of you are doing absolutely everything that you could possibly be doing. And we're in one of those wacky parallel dimensions where Metallica and Lou Reed end up collaborating in a project called Lulu. This is possibly the most absurd pairing since Chris Cornell and Timbaland teamed up a few years back. Should be... something.

lol, well said!

Archived