IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

my lifts are great, i actually broke a benching PR today

Congrats!!! Keep up the good work! Though Im sure you don't need my encouragement!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conditioning starts now for next ultimate season - break it in easy.

20k bike ride.

hour of plyos

stair workout/sprints

hot diggity damn i was tired after that! old and out of shape.

Guest drukqs

So, got back from a job (intense manual labor, out in the wilderness for 6 weeks straight, digging trails for 8-10 hours a day) a month ago and I'm getting back into my activity routines: Lifting, running, hiking, biking, etc. Starting going to the gym 4-5 days a week again, getting ready for having cross-country class after school every day. It's a bit difficult getting back into the swing of things.

Anyway, I remember having a lot of trouble increasing my max bench (135 lb, I weigh 130). I was stuck on that bench weight for a solid month or so. My parents claimed I wasn't eating enough, but eh. I'm not sure what my max (bb, not db) is now, I'm assuming its gone down a bit, since my db bench went down about 5lb since coming back. Any tips on how to raise my bench weight? I'm also looking to increase my pull ups from 8-10 pullups to 14-16 (it depends on the day, how much I've worked out, etc). I'm a bit stuck at 10, though. I'm on a routine of weighted pull ups as opposed to machine lat pulldowns added to a regular pyramid back routine (db chainsaws, etc).

I've only been active since last year (before that I was a fat sack of shit who played video games all day, weighed 175 at one point) and at this time last year I could not do 1 pull up, if my memory serves me correctly. But I'd like to build muscle at a faster rate. I'm 17, by the way.

personally I know I have benefited from cutting back on cardio and lifting, limiting lifting to 2 days a week, and 30min intensive cardio three times a week, with one day off and another day to play tennis/basketball. My muscles heal faster and apparently I am making faster strength increases than I was doing 3 lifting a week and 3 cardio. Make sure you are eating enough to compensate for your increased activity, and also make sure that what you eat is really good for you.

I always have a big whey fruit smoothie, which contains nonstop greatness and natural sugars for you and is about 400 calories right there. If you can get all natural ingredients (that means nothing but Pectin+Fruit Juice or Pulp Jelly, and nothing but salt+peanuts, oil for Peanut Butter, a PBJ sandwich is a fantastic source of fiber, protein, and to a far lesser extent fruit. Easy calories, delicious, and the majority of them are incredibly beneficial to you.

Id say top that off with a hearty breakfast (some eggs or egg whites, roasted tomatoes and mushrooms mmm), and then some salmon or something for dinner.

My diet probably isn't the healthiest, but fuck it, I have a great balance of "snack food" and regular food that are all in many ways beneficial to my body. Just stay away from sodas and chips and alcohol, completely empty calories and they tend to leave you feeling lethargic. That might get you just enough energy change to incentivize your body into pushing that extra 10%. Don't be afraid to rest if you feel tired: remember, if you workout when you are tired, you may ultimately be hurting more than helping.

If cardio seems like a little too much one day (i mean you have trouble breathing or something hurts/feels pulled/painful), then slow it down to a fat burning workout or switch up the exercise.

One of the best things Ive learned doing this over the summer is how you are forced to learn more about how your body works and adapt to it...still challenging to change your routine up to make it work. DISCIPRINE>>

And take it from me, I can personally vouch for a vast improvement. A few years back I was a bloated cow of a man, 250 lbs., half of which was probably beer blubber and shitty ramen noodles. I am now 205 lbs. with approx. 18% body fat. It was hard for me to continue exercise routines because I kept comparing myself to more developed/toned people. ALways a bad idea, your body is your body, and you run it how it needs to be run. Be receptive, but stay determined and honest, and the sky is the limit. I sound like Richard Simmons or something.

I hoped that helped.

20k bike ride.

hour of plyos

stair workout/sprints

break it in easy?!

You're crazy lol 20k + an hour of plyo and shuttle/stair runs!?

You're a beast ! (in a good way).

question guys.... would there be any value in posting before/after pictures in this thread?

20k bike ride.

hour of plyos

stair workout/sprints

break it in easy?!

You're crazy lol 20k + an hour of plyo and shuttle/stair runs!?

You're a beast ! (in a good way).

question guys.... would there be any value in posting before/after pictures in this thread?

yes, although since fitness isn't just something you do for 8 weeks (hopefully anyways), maybe we could just do like continued progress. Even if you don't share them I guess it's good for motivation as you progress. I noticed I lost some body fat already (probably at like 11-13% right now) just from a few weeks of hard work

sorry for double post, but OH GOD. I deadlifted a lot (for myself) and I can barely move now. My whole body is sore from that workout. Tomorrow is gonna be a difficult day (but i take pride in my soreness)

I think from now on Im going to do two lifting sessions a week instead of three, because I was immediately able to make another 5-10 lbs. up in progress on every single exercise. This might sound pathetic to some of you more developed vets, but I was really, really proud of myself when I realized I was benching about 30 lbs. less than my body weight. Who knows, maybe in a few months Ill get there!

Dude, that's not shitty progress, that's great progress. Any time you are able to up the weight, 5lbs is what's recommended (though may be 10lbs for squat and/or deadlift, but whatever works for you). As long as the weight is steadily going up, it's all good. Remember, it's what you find challenging, not what other people think you should find challenging.

Anyway, I remember having a lot of trouble increasing my max bench (135 lb, I weigh 130). I was stuck on that bench weight for a solid month or so. My parents claimed I wasn't eating enough, but eh. I'm not sure what my max (bb, not db) is now, I'm assuming its gone down a bit, since my db bench went down about 5lb since coming back. Any tips on how to raise my bench weight? I'm also looking to increase my pull ups from 8-10 pullups to 14-16 (it depends on the day, how much I've worked out, etc). I'm a bit stuck at 10, though. I'm on a routine of weighted pull ups as opposed to machine lat pulldowns added to a regular pyramid back routine (db chainsaws, etc).

Regarding you bench press max., I'm not sure if you're talking about your 1 rep max, or what you can use for reps. If it's what you can use for reps, you have 2 options.

1) Drop the weight a bit and increase your reps slightly, and work your way back up to what your max bench is.

2) Drop the rep. range. Lift heavier than you usually can, but only push out a few reps. The increase is strength should have you pushing through a plateau.

If you want to do more pull-ups, do more more pull-ups. Volume is key here, and if you can get a pull-up bar for a doorway at home, set it up and every time you pass it, blast out as many bodyweight pull-ups as you can. You should find that the added volume will start to increase the amount of weighted pull-ups you can do (progress may be slow, but it should help).

Guest drukqs

Regarding you bench press max., I'm not sure if you're talking about your 1 rep max, or what you can use for reps. If it's what you can use for reps, you have 2 options.

1) Drop the weight a bit and increase your reps slightly, and work your way back up to what your max bench is.

2) Drop the rep. range. Lift heavier than you usually can, but only push out a few reps. The increase is strength should have you pushing through a plateau.

If you want to do more pull-ups, do more more pull-ups. Volume is key here, and if you can get a pull-up bar for a doorway at home, set it up and every time you pass it, blast out as many bodyweight pull-ups as you can. You should find that the added volume will start to increase the amount of weighted pull-ups you can do (progress may be slow, but it should help).

It's my 1 rep max.

As for pullups, I have a pull up bar at home, and I've been doing exactly that since I got it. That's how I got to 10 in the first place. Unfortunately, I've been stuck at 10 for a while. There are days when I do at least 200 just from passing it so constantly, and I always push myself to get those last few reps. And I do different hand positions as well from time to time. I just started weighted pull ups so hopefully that helps.

and have a spotter. benching alone is dangerous and you can't really do your max. unless you want to roll the thing on to the ground after you smashed your neck

and have a spotter. benching alone is dangerous and you can't really do your max. unless you want to roll the thing on to the ground after you smashed your neck

you only really need a spotter for heavier lifts.

i would still recommend having a spotter when you start...until you are more accustomed to holding and balancing the weight.

i would still recommend having a spotter when you start...until you are more accustomed to holding and balancing the weight.

i would also like to recommend using dumbbells wherever possible, at least when starting out on an exercise. with dumbbells, it's easier to really get a feel for the exercises, especially whenever you have one predominantly stong arm and such. barbell movements have a way of locking you into a fixed plane of motion that can really be tough on your joints and stabilizer muscles if there is even a slight left/right imbalance. plus with dumbbells, it's easier to not kill yourself if you can't manage the last rep.

as a personal anecdote, i have one fantastically messed up rotator cuff from baseball and what i can assume was imperfect form on barbell bench press. after months and months of slow delibrate concentration on strict form for dumbbell bench, my shoulder is better than ever.

Been trying to get on my 3 times a week run schedule again, because I plan on doing a half marathon next year.

My running shoes are pretty old and I desperately need new ones, my so told me recently about barefoot runners and some quick research showed that less to no padding in shoes is way better for your knees, feet etc.

Will get some advice in a decent running store with my next paycheck, but has anyone on here tried out the "natural running" shoes asics and nike offer? The Virbram fivefingers seem a little bit too extreme..

Been trying to get on my 3 times a week run schedule again, because I plan on doing a half marathon next year.

My running shoes are pretty old and I desperately need new ones, my so told me recently about barefoot runners and some quick research showed that less to no padding in shoes is way better for your knees, feet etc.

Will get some advice in a decent running store with my next paycheck, but has anyone on here tried out the "natural running" shoes asics and nike offer? The Virbram fivefingers seem a little bit too extreme..

I spent half an hour in a running shop doing a diagnostic and they recommended something with a lot of support. 2 months, 1 knackered knee and 20 blood blisters later I switched to Nike Free 4.0 V2. Takes some adjustment, but much prefer them. They're so comfortable I've ended up wearing them all the time. Don't look so great with my lilac chinos though.

Try out the New Balance minimus line. They offer varying degrees of cushioning so you can ease your way down to an almost barefoot experience.

Fifteen pounds away from bench pressing my bodyweight. We are through the looking glass people!

Toning down cardio was a great move, my muscles have started to visibly grow, while at the same time maintaining most of their toned "tightness". Trying to work on my back more now to even out all the chest and arms exercises....i should do more abdominal but tbh I fucking HATE ab exercises. I hate them more than running at this point.

So another personal best I am proud to share with everyone...yesterday I literally RAN straight through for 45 minutes. Just felt like doing it. I don't think I can even remember a time where I ever ran for that long without stopping for a breath or just giving up. Wow. I don't even think I did that in football.

Cigarettes be forever damned, im movin on up in the world.

Fifteen pounds away from bench pressing my bodyweight. We are through the looking glass people!

Toning down cardio was a great move, my muscles have started to visibly grow, while at the same time maintaining most of their toned "tightness". Trying to work on my back more now to even out all the chest and arms exercises....i should do more abdominal but tbh I fucking HATE ab exercises. I hate them more than running at this point.

So another personal best I am proud to share with everyone...yesterday I literally RAN straight through for 45 minutes. Just felt like doing it. I don't think I can even remember a time where I ever ran for that long without stopping for a breath or just giving up. Wow. I don't even think I did that in football.

grats on the running, i have trouble running but i should probably force myself to

also, do you do deadlifts/squats? those will work out your whole core so you can see results without doing 100s of crunches. Of course crunches never hurt anyone but every time I DL I feel it a lot in my abs the day after

or in general, keep your abs tight when you lift, it will activate them more since they're used for stabilizing. To me this is much more natural feeling than crunches

shoulders today.. it's a love hate thing for me

I've been trying to learn squats but I'm sooo far away from doing them in terms of flexibility that I've pretty much given up before I've started. The worst part is it has ruined my motivation to work out at all since all I keep reading about is how machine exercises are useless compared to barbell lifts.

Guest fiznuthian

Dude, SR4.. Awesome!

Congratulations on your great success

every time i see the title of this thread i read it like someone is hitting on me.

... do you? :emb:

Guest drukqs

Sounds like you don't need to wait till next year. I did my first half marathon this year and had very little time to prepare, or train (and still made a good time). You can do it brah.

I've been trying to learn squats but I'm sooo far away from doing them in terms of flexibility that I've pretty much given up before I've started. The worst part is it has ruined my motivation to work out at all since all I keep reading about is how machine exercises are useless compared to barbell lifts.

They aren't useless. They might not be as effective, but they are by no means useless.

Don't give up. Start slow, baby steps.

Archived